Recommendation for climbs around Fresno

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Roald
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Recommendation for climbs around Fresno

Post by Roald »

Found out that I will again be traveling to Fresno next week. I also had to do this back in April, but could only manage to get a few hours free on that trip, which greatly limited my outdoor activity. This time around I will have about 1.5 days free ( 1/2 of Saturday and all of Sunday), so I'm hoping to find a decent day trip for Sunday 6/17.

Can anyone recommend a decent climb that is within a 3-4 hour drive of Fresno each way? A 14er or other high elevation peak would be great. Difficulty would ideally be kept to class 3-4 (by CO standards), and total mileage preferably under 12-14. Crowd level doesn't really matter since I know it's a Sunday. I know stuff like Whitney and Half Dome are out of the question due to permit requirements, but is there anything else that you can recommend?
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Recommendation for climbs around Fresno

Post by thebeave7 »

From Fresno the easiest stuff to get to would be the Lodgepole/Grant Grove area or the Mineral King Area, both Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP. While not 14ers, the big trees and high peaks around those areas are pretty nice (1.5-2.5h drive).

Alta Peak and Mt Silliman near Lodgepole are two nice routes, not technically difficult, but a good deal of gain with some very nice views.

From Mineral King there are a whole slew of peaks in addition to several 12k passes that will give you a great flavor of the Sierras and the terrain.

Unfortunately Fresno isn't a good place to access the best of the High Sierra Peaks, most of which are on the east side. If I were you, I'd head to the Mineral King area and hit some of those high passes and easier peaks around there, the views alone are worthwhile.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

If you are willing to stretch the drive to 5 hours, Lone Pine is that far away, most along fast highways. You can try for an unused Whitney permit. Or do 14er Mt. Langley. instead. The access road is also from Lone Pine. Its short then Whitney, about the same view. Its easy class 1 until the talus dome, then class 2 or 3 depending on what side of the talus you hike.
If you have Colorado acclimatization already you probably drive up one evening, hike the next day and drive back the that evening. However if you can spare 2nd night, there are plenty of interesting sights in the Lone Pine and Bishop area.
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Whitney and Langley are nice, but honestly I think you'd enjoy the Mineral King area just as much, without the drive. It doesn't have the number (14000+), but is fairly spectacular.
If you do the drive over to the Eastern Sierras I can recommend many far better scrambles/climbs than Langley/Whitney if you want class 3/4 terrain, Mt Russell is the obvious choice, similar to Capitol Peak. Great California class 3 on amazingly fun granite. Shoot me a PM if you want to ask any questions.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
bj
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bj »

Brewer is a nice climb out of Roads End (Kings Canyon). It was first thought to be the tallest peak in the Sierra, but when the Whitney expedition reached the top they saw/found Mt. Whitney and several other 14ers. At 28 miles, a good deal of which is off trail, its a real ball buster of a day hike.

As mentioned, Alta is a nice climb, especially if you do it via Pear Lake. And it'd be just dumb to visit the area and not visit the giant Sequoias. Yosemite is not all that far away either; maybe you can snag a Half dome permit. The western Sierra is pretty, but most peak baggers head to the eastern Sierra (as I did 2 of the last 3 weekends)
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..
Kapelmuur
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kapelmuur »

+ 1 on the Mineral King area, AKA "where I want my ashes spread when I die" it's that amazing IMO.

One of the more notables peak in the area is Sawtooth (12,343'), which can be seen from a distance in the Central Valley.

The one knock about Mineral King is that the road to get to it out of Three Rivers is 20+ miles of switchbacks--a lot of people don't have the stomach for it (literally).
Roald
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Roald »

Excellent info - Alta, Silliman, and Sawtooth all look like great options. I noticed all the higher peaks are on the east side without any quick passage to get over there. I wish we'd move our headquarters to Lone Pine, instead of lame Fresno. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll let you know how it turns out.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.