Kili - Tips for dust control

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Kili - Tips for dust control

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

The wife has wanted to climb Kilimanjaro for some time, I wouldn't mind myself. Last year I was just starting to get serious about planning it then I begin to realize how dusty it is and she is very susceptible to dust and respitory issues in general. She decided at that time due to the dust for a NO-GO. Despite the dust, she now wants to give it a try, likely this September.

1) Anyone know what routes might have less dust than others due to the trail, wind directions, or other?
2) Time of year ... I suppose the rainy seasons keep dust down
3) Any "neat" little tricks of what to wear (bandanas, masks, etc.) to keep the hacking down?

Also, I know this has been discussed, I'll look up some old threads, but anyone have a favorite guide company?
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Kili - Tips for dust control

Post by Scott P »

I’ve only climbed the lesser known mountains in the region, but maybe this will be useful anyway.
1) Anyone know what routes might have less dust than others due to the trail, wind directions, or other?
The least used routes would probably have the least dust (which is true on any dry mountain).
April, May and November are the wet months in that part of the world.
3) Any "neat" little tricks of what to wear (bandanas, masks, etc.) to keep the hacking down?
Speaking from experience of trying to keep my face warm in extreme cold (which is a different reason for face cover, but the result should be the same), covering your nostrils and mouth makes it harder to breath at high altitude.

PS, unless you are in the rain forest or there during the rainy season, East Africa in general can get pretty dusty, even in the towns. Dust mask may help, but they may be hard to use at high altitude.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

I'm doing the Machame route with Tusker four weeks from tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on the dust situation when I get back.

I'm planning on taking a couple buffs to cover my lower face from the dust. Hopefully that will work.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

In general the mountain has less moisture on the north & east side. For that reason the Rongai Route might have more dust.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

Ive been on the Machame, Marangu and Rongai and Rongai was the best but definately the dustiest!
I'd probably recommend Machame for you...

Ive been there in Feb and August - cant really say - the wet season is a tough climb up high though on Kili...(not technically speaking, just considerably colder etc)

Bandana for sure, lightweight one that is easy to breath through/around...
Also - wear short ankle gaitors - those are a big help as you hike the long distances

Marangu Hotel for sure is a great guide company and hotel
highcomm
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcomm »

My wife and I went in October 2010 and did the Lemosho Route. There was some sort of percipitation everyday and dust wasn't a problem. However, it was dusty in the town below, Moshi.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
scalba123
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

scalba123 wrote:I'm doing the Machame route with Tusker four weeks from tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on the dust situation when I get back.

I'm planning on taking a couple buffs to cover my lower face from the dust. Hopefully that will work.
I just got back from Kilimanjaro a couple days ago (I wasn't able to reach the summit, I decided that getting a case of hypothermia was more fun).

The trail down from the Barafu Camp down to Mweka Camp was definitely the dustiest. I didn't use anything to cover my face, but a buff should be sufficient if needed.
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

Funny how the memory fades, I remembered summit to Barafu being dusty, but didn't remember the rest being dusty. However, I just searched my trip report ( http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) for the word "Dust" and found many more entries. From my trip report on Machame:

From Machame Hut to Shira Cave (day 2):
8:30 was our start time. This trail is steep, and extremely dusty. Dust. Dust. Dust.
From Barranco to Barafo (day 4):
From here we went up and down a fun valley, where it got dusty.
Day 5 - Round trip from Barafu - Summit - Barafu
And now we headed down from Stella Point. I cannot emphasize this enough - it is time to get dirty. DUST!!! DIRT!!! If you do this hike, for the love of God, please bring something to cover your nose and your mouth (and eye protection!). I had a bandana over my mouth & nose and was still coughing up dirt the next two days. We basically skied down the scree, uneventful descent
Day 5 - Barafu to Mweka:
12:30 we left Barafu for the 3 hour hike to the final camp. Very dusty.
My bottom line. Wrap-around sunglasses are a must. Gaiters are optional, but will be nice for the descent from Stella Point to Barafu. Bandana at the BARE MINIMUM to protect mount & nose. Note: you will get very warm on the descent back to Barafu from the summit!!
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
njx9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by njx9 »

I did Marangu in June 4 or so years ago and don't remember it being horribly dusty. My jeans definitely turned brown around the cuffs, but any dust we kicked up seemed to stay pretty settled (my ankles were dusty, my knees weren't). I definitely don't recall having any breathing issues. Though, we were also the fastest group on that trail, so it's entirely possible that some of the groups further behind us, or who started later in the morning, were having a worse time. I can't think that anything covering my mouth and nose would've been comfortable, especially lower on the mountain, but a fair number of people were wearing closed ski-mask things on the summit.

I wonder if simply selecting a slower paced climb, off of the main routes, would help? It'd be easier to take your time, break if necessary, and might make wearing some kind of dust guard easier.
ylingli
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ylingli »

I just got back from Kilimanjaro (and Tanzania & Kenyan safaris) a few days ago. We summited mid June (everyone in our group of 12 made it to the summit!), and the weather was perfect! None of us wore any kind of face-mask and no-one had any problems with the dust. I think it depends on the time of year and which route you hike. June is considered one of the best times to climb Kili with the great weather and small crowds! :D
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

I have absolutely no idea about Kili, but I've looked at these before in running stores in SLC (during winter when inversions get bad... I have asthma, and these are suppose to help, although the last time I looked, they didn't filter out PM2.5, which is the worst of the pollution, so I didn't buy one):

http://www.respro.com/products/sports-l ... tsta_mask/

Not sure I can imagine wearing one hiking around, but I have a friend with one. She wears it biking around town and says she has no problems breathing.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
WarDamnPanic
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

I am also doing the Machame route in August. What kind of clothing should I wear for the climb?