Truchas Peaks--conditions report?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Truchas Peaks--conditions report?

Post by steelfrog »

Headed this afternoon to the Truchas Peaks with my 5, 8, 11 and 12 y.o. girls. Anybody have any recent beta on snow conditions?

Many thanks.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Truchas Peaks--conditions report?

Post by tmathews »

steelfrog wrote:Headed this afternoon to the Truchas Peaks with my 5, 8, 11 and 12 y.o. girls. Anybody have any recent beta on snow conditions?

Many thanks.
No beta, but you might want to reconsider if any of your kids have respiratory issues. Looks like the area is getting smoke from the Whitewater-Baldy fire. Here's a pinpoint forecast for the area: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Ya, I am aware of thhat. More looking for trail/snow conditions. Thanks.
abqben56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by abqben56 »

steelfrog wrote:Headed this afternoon to the Truchas Peaks with my 5, 8, 11 and 12 y.o. girls. Anybody have any recent beta on snow conditions?

Many thanks.
Based on what I saw from SF Baldy last weekend, you can expect some above 11K or so in forested areas and on N/NE facing slopes above and below treeline, though it's been hot and it should be melting fast. No issues in getting up to Baldy itself but the trail from Baldy down to Lake Katherine was still blocked at the Baldy saddle, about 11600. It looked like you could get to the main Truchas summits individually but I don't know about the traverse. Hope that helps.

The smoke is here but it isn't nearly as bad as last year. Yet.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

We're goign to camp Pecos Baldy Lake 2 nights; prolly climb East Pecos Baldy tomorrow; Truchas and over to Middle Truchas Sunday. Hopefully.
abqben56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by abqben56 »

steelfrog wrote:We're goign to camp Pecos Baldy Lake 2 nights; prolly climb East Pecos Baldy tomorrow; Truchas and over to Middle Truchas Sunday. Hopefully.
The trails should be pretty well stomped through from that direction. Worst case, your daughters will see a beautiful area. Have a great time.