Deadwood/Mt Rushmore area

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Deadwood/Mt Rushmore area

Post by Vermont Mike »

I really enjoyed combining Little Devil's Tower and Harney Peak in a loop from Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park . . . take the Cathedral Spires trail up, climb Little Devil's Tower, continue up Harney Peak, then back down the Harney Trail. Also, +1 on Jewel Cave, more interesting than Wind Cave IMO. Plenty of wildlife in that area, particularly in Custer State Park and Wind Cave National Park. Also, if you go to the Badlands be sure to get out and take a couple of hikes. If you only have time for one, I'd recommend the Door Trail; it's very popular but gives you the most bang for your buck.
big_red_pride
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (6)

Post by big_red_pride »

Vermont Mike wrote:I really enjoyed combining Little Devil's Tower and Harney Peak in a loop from Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park . . . take the Cathedral Spires trail up, climb Little Devil's Tower, continue up Harney Peak, then back down the Harney Trail. Also, +1 on Jewel Cave, more interesting than Wind Cave IMO. Plenty of wildlife in that area, particularly in Custer State Park and Wind Cave National Park.
+1. I grew up in Hot Springs and hiked that loop including Little Devil's and Harney Peak probably close to 100 times. With the Pine Beetle infestation there it really has destroyed a lot of trees so some of the hike is not a beautiful as it once was. I have been to both Wind Cave and Jewel Cave and enjoyed them both. Enjoy your trip to SD!
SpringsHiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

Vermont Mike wrote:I really enjoyed combining Little Devil's Tower and Harney Peak in a loop from Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park . . . take the Cathedral Spires trail up, climb Little Devil's Tower, continue up Harney Peak, then back down the Harney Trail. Also, +1 on Jewel Cave, more interesting than Wind Cave IMO. Plenty of wildlife in that area, particularly in Custer State Park and Wind Cave National Park. Also, if you go to the Badlands be sure to get out and take a couple of hikes. If you only have time for one, I'd recommend the Door Trail; it's very popular but gives you the most bang for your buck.
I did this exact loop for the Tower and Harney Peak--excellent! I was able to run a good portion of it. The wilderness feel back in there is amazing. Also agree on Jewel Cave being THE cave to check out. We're just gonna have to agree to agree on all your points :D
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

awesome info!! Thanks everyone! This is going to be a fun getaway!! =D>
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

that is actually great to know, thanks.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

If you still have more time, don't ignore SW North Dakota either side of the Little Missouri River. Travel north on US 85. Outstanding badlands topography and a few good hikes, including Bullion Butte. More fine trails available at Theodore Roosevelt National Park north of Medora
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Thanks again for all the info! Should be a great weekend. I am already getting the feeling we won't be able to do everything I want, but we can always go back.
I was pleasantly surprised that Deadwood is only 6 hours from the Boulder area.