Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Iceland

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Iceland

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:42 pm

So, I'm in the beginning stages of planning a possible trip to Iceland next summer, do some climbing and sight seeing. Mountains, glaciers, pubs, what could be better? My question is whether anyone reading this has ever gone there and done some climbing? I know it's not too popular of a place, and its not a 14er, but hey...you're all adventurous, so you might know, right? If anyone knows something about it, please let me know! Thanks

(Sorry to stray from the usual)

Postby Scott P » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:23 am

Check summitpost.org. It has a lot of info on Iceland.

Postby Tommy Dorr » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:20 am

Actually if your into pubs, Reykjavik is slated to be one of the premier party zones in the world.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby Bogie21 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:44 am

I went to Iceland in June of '99 and spent two weeks. Great place!!! I was doing some military training at the time with a SEAL team, so you may not get the same trip I got. We did set up some observation point on hills nearby our targets but nothing to extreme. The rock is all volcanic and very sharp. Your boots will get tore up. Little know fact, you may be asked to remove your shoes before entering a building (i.e. schools, homes) becasue the fragmentation will ruin any and all floors. Sleeping out in the open there is a blast. Find a cravas with a good lining of moss. The moss is heated (via lava under the ground) and is super soft. The people are great. 300,000 total on the island. Try the ice cream, if you've never had European ice cream I high suggest the "spaghetti ice." And if your into beer, Viking Beer (orange and purple label) is a fine pilsner. Let me know if you have any questions.

Kiefer

RE: Iceland

Postby Kiefer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:02 pm

I was over there also for 2 weeks back in 2004. First let me say, BRING MONEY. :shock: Iceland was and is very expensive. I knew this before I went but I was still surprised at the cost of things, even as small as a pint of beer.
A pint of Guinness will set you back roughly $6.00-$8.00. Viking beer as Bogie21 said isn't bad, around $4.00-$5.00 per pint. If I remember correctly, gas was about $8.00 (give or take) per gallon. They use metric so get used to pumping litres. Renting a car is easy to do (just like here) and petrol stations are everywhere (just like here). I spent roughly $65.00 on a sweater and $75.00 on a good wool blanket. If you can, don't buy Icelandic wool products in the capitol. You'll 100% of the time find the same thing outside of the capitol cheaper. There's a factory about 12 miles north of Reykjavik (I forget the name of the town--Moesfeller or something) where I bought my wares. Almost everyone speaks English so don't try to learn Icelandic or Norwegian, it's not really necessary.

Mountains.....Most of what Iceland has is volcanic. Check out Mt. Hekla in the south (volcano) and Mt. Kerling up in the north near the town of Akureyri. Expect glaciers. My first time on a glacier was in south Iceland near the town of Vik, it was a little unnerving.
I'm sure there are some peaks in central Iceland but you'll have to do some research before you go on what they are. Central Iceland is pretty much no mans land, no one lives there, no towns, no stations, just terrain. The weather is too unpredictable and fierce. Fact, Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel has an Iceland episode that is hillarious!!! Also VERY imformative.
I didn't make it to northern Iceland but from what I've seen and talked to people I think the northern reaches will be more rugged. The highest peak I believe is somewhere around 7,445ft. (mt. Kerling) and that's up in the Northern part. PM me and I can get some photos to you or further info.
Tommy Dorr is right about Reykjavik. The town on a weekend night is INSANE, makes our meat markets look tame. Also expect to party until 6:00-7:00 in the morning (on a good night).
Brenin is the local hard spirit. Tastes like a cross between Anise and carroway...takes some getting used to but it packs a Mike Tyson punch. Also, if you're in Reyjavik on I think Tuesdays(?) they have a big flea market kind of thing. Good place to pick up stuff cheap. If you see it, try the haerkel (fermented shark). Just make sure you haven't eaten a full meal before you do! :D

Have fun over there. I had an absolute blast. Icelandic people are by far the friendliest I've ever met. The following link is to a photographer I met while there. His name is Mats Wibe Lund. His work appears in hotels, businesses and shoppes. He has some awesome pictures.
http://www.myndasafn.is/
Like I said, PM me if you want to chat. I do intend on going back within a couple years.

Postby tmahon » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:31 pm

been there twice, if you like ice you'll love it there. the glaciers in some areas spill down right along the highways.
the tallest peak is actually on the southeast of the island, right off the coast called hvannadalshnukur, 6952 ft. it may not sound tall but the gulf stream weather flows right over it and can be nasty. we weren't taking it too seriously and while camping at about 4500 ft. we had our ve-24 torn to shreds from the wind. if you didn't want to go it alone, Icelandic Mountain Guides can take you or at least help with any questions.

definitely expensive but worth checking out

Postby Aspen Summit » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:25 pm

I went to Iceland with my friend and classmate, Sjofn (pronounced "Shep"...don't ask, she's icelandic), after graduating from DU. It's ONE HIGH TECH PLACE!! All the amazing gadgets are there all you need is money. I didn't climb but I got to touch a glacier with my tongue. How kewl is that?!?! Oh and there's an ocean water hotsprings to dip in when you're tired of the ice.

Icelandic people don't have last names cuz there're only like 300,000 of them on this planet. So if she's a girl: the "last name" ends in "dottir" (daughter) and a if he's a boy: "sen" (son). :lol:

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!