14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

rim to rim

Postby trekkin_gecko » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:10 pm

last sunday hiked rim to rim, north to south with a friend
it was awesome!
started down at 6:10
spent an hour at the river snacking and changing socks
finished at 3:20 with a break about halfway up
it was around 40 at the north rim, and although i don't know the temp at the river, it was HOT hiking up
the north rim was beautiful, with changing aspen amid ponderosa pines
would love to hike south to north, spend two nights at the lodge, then hike back
might have to jack up my training a bit for that trek
wyo, hope you are able to do this hike this coming weekend

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:10 pm

Wyo_MtnMan wrote:Actually, folks, it got pushed back a week to October 7th. Two of our group had something come up, but still want to go the next weekend. It's gonna be cold up on the North Rim in the morning!

How'd your trip go? Thinking of trying to get down there either around Thanksgiving for a Rim-to-River-to-Rim (or maybe a R2R2R). Are most / any of the taps still on?

Postby pbakwin » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:01 am

I did the R2R2R the last weekend of October.
The BC ranger told me that all taps above
Cottonwood Camp on the North Kaibab trail
would be shut off as of Nov 1. Check with the
BC office before you go as to conditions &
water sources.
PB

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:46 pm

pbakwin wrote:I did the R2R2R the last weekend of October.
The BC ranger told me that all taps above
Cottonwood Camp on the North Kaibab trail
would be shut off as of Nov 1. Check with the
BC office before you go as to conditions &
water sources.
PB

Thanks Peter! I read your brief report on coolrunning and a few recent ones on the ultra list. I'd heard conflicting reports as to the reliability of the BC office on the status of the taps. I kinda figured most would be off by then though.. except Bright Angel and Phantom Ranch, which as I understand are on year-round. Oh well, we'll throw a lightweight filter in the pack to be safe.

Postby CC » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:27 pm

Bright Angel and Phantom Ranch do have year round taps. Phantom is where we re-up our water supply for our rafting trips.
If you end up going North to South try the Dripping Springs trail on the South side for day 2. The views are stunning and the trail takes you right down to Boucher Rapids, a pretty good little rapid if you don't hit your lines just right.
If weather is overcast dont do it...flash floods close to Boucher.

Postby AzScott » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:01 am

The trip was fantastic. Great weather and the river was in major flood stage. The taps this year are turned off on the North side, but at Phantom for sure, you'll have water. Indian Gardens may be okay, but I don't know for sure. It's been fairly warm and dry for the past couple weeks down here in Arizona, so if that holds for the next week, they may not have shut the faucets off yet except for up near the rim. This time of year, the lows are routinely in the teens and 20s up on the rim, so keep that in mind. Along those lines, I believe the North Rim road is closed or will soon be, so you'll have to do all of your hiking on the South Rim. PM me if you want a copy of the trip report. Good luck!

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:54 am

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated!

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:17 pm

As an update, we ran the R2R2R last Saturday. It was a great time and the weather was perfect! We started around 5am from the Bright Angel TH and descended to Phantom Ranch. We refilled there and ran up to Cottonwood CG (taps off) where two of our 4 turned back. Peter (Sanders) and I continued to the North Rim via the N Kaibob (the Roaring Spring ranger cabin tap was on, oddly enough). The road was still open and a family having a snowball fight was mildly surprised by the two nuts in running shorts who stopped for a power bar before heading back down. We reached Phantom Ranch near dark and climbed out via the S Kaibob Trail, reaching the trailhead a little before 10pm. Our radio didn't work to call our friends (at Mather Campground) for a pickup, so we hiked/jogged the road back for an extra 3 or so mles (49-ish total). Total mileage (not counting the road portion) was 46 miles, with 11,300' of elevation gain.

Photos

Some things I learned:
- I'd rather go down the S Kaibob and up the Bright Angel, I think. The S Kaibob is a really steep climb at the end of a long day.
- We were a little late in the year, we had to carry too many clothes (low was about 25F) and too much water (since some of the taps were off). Next year we'll go in early May probably.
- The short amount of daylight was a bummer because we missed some good scenery. With the extra daylight May brings and a lot less leisure stops, we should be able to do the whole trip in daylight.
- Overall I brought too much crap. Too much food, too much "just in case" bivy stuff, too many clothes. Made it hard to run.

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

R2R2R

Postby CC » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:14 am

Good Job! Those photo's were a treat to see.
Thanks for posting them.

Postby Sherpa Bob » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:25 am

May always sounds like a good time to do the crossing but it is always hot and can be extremely hot across the bottom in May. You do gets lots of sunlight but that will also bring the heat.

Previous