Picketpost Mountain, AZ 4375'

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Picketpost Mountain, AZ 4375'

Post by ColoradoGuy »

I'm curious if anyone else on the 14ers.com forums has climbed this? A week ago, on a visit to Arizona, I finally did it. I kept thinking about how Picketpost would compare to a common 14er climb. My short list:

- A sketchy "social trail" to the top.
- Cliffs.
- Large rocks. (Requiring Class 2+ and a few Class 3 type moves. Nothing too crazy but ...)
- Cactus and thorny plants EVERYWHERE. (If you slip, slide or fall, pray you don't hit a cactus!)
- Only a 1700 foot elevation gain.

Anyway, it was a great hike and I have a lot of respect for this mountain. I'd love to read other people's comments about Picketpost! My personal trip report can be read here: http://coloradoguy.com/picketpost-mountain/arizona.htm.

Four photos:

At the trailhead for the Arizona Trail. A small spur trail leads left and ascends steeply between the break in vertical cliffs.

A guy ahead of us realizes he was way down and off route.

The summit.

Love the saguaros at the base!

-Steve
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
WheelerDealer
14ers: 44 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Picketpost Mountain, AZ 4375'

Post by WheelerDealer »

Never been there, but it looks stunning! I love hiking in AZ. Tons and tons of visual interest and the plants are just spectacular.
hornpeak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hornpeak »

I will be in both the TUC and PHX area this weekend is this trail and mountain any where near them?
Trudger
14ers: 7 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Trudger »

30-50 miles E. of Phoenix, I believe.
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

I finally got around to climbing Picketpost a few months ago while visiting family in AZ, and it was definitely one of the better peaks I've done there; it's really a great example of why I love the great outdoors in AZ as much as I do in Colorado! That said, there was a lot less scrambling and more options in the gully than I was expecting, to be honest. The summit views were quite nice and pretty unique compared to most other options in greater PHX. And yeah, it'd be really tough to compare this one to a 14er, by virtue of the fact you're just dealing with a whole different set of issues on these rugged low desert peaks.

Anyone who'd like Picketpost would LOVE the Flatiron! It's a 6-mile roundtrip hike with ~3000' of gain, the majority of that in the last mile or so. I describe it as somewhat analogous to Crestone Needle, albeit less exposed--crazy weird awesome scenery, plentiful scrambling, and fantastic views of metro Phoenix and the rugged Superstition range when you top out. For extra credit, find the route up nearby, hoodoo-infested UN5024. Or if you're feeling really adventurous and have someone to guide you (route-finding can be very tricky), do the full-on Superstition Ridgeline, finishing with a descent from the Flatiron. It only goes at 3+/easy 4, but is as epic a day as they come!
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

hornpeak wrote:I will be in both the TUC and PHX area this weekend is this trail and mountain any where near them?
I think it's about 40 miles east of downtown Phoenix. Nearest town is Superior, AZ on U.S. Highway 60.
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org