Yosemite Class 3

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Yosemite Class 3

Post by mts4602 »

I'll be in Yosemite for 3 or 4 days around the 4th of July and I was looking for some interesting peaks worth climbing.

Looking for suggestions on some fun class 2 or 3 climbs that can be done in a day from the TH. I'd love to do Lyell, but don't have a permit and I'm not sure it's worth taking two days out the trip to do it when there's probably several closer peaks that would be great to do.

Thanks!

Matt
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Yosemite Class 3

Post by mts4602 »

Thanks, yeah if you have recommendations then I'd love to hear them. If we can get permits we are going south to do Whitney anyways. And yeah I've been to the valley on the 4th before. It wasn't bad at all when I went but I'm sure it could get bad.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Half Dome is the classic class-3/4. It requires a permit. It is a very long day hike from the Valley or Tioga road via Cloud's Rest. Or a night camp in Little Yosemite valley area.

Mt Dana is a 13K from Tioga is class 1/2. I used to do it as a acclimatization for Whitney.

Mt Coness is 12.6K from Tioga. It is also a very long day hike. It should be class 2 if you can find the the entire route. But the several times we did it I'd get off trail in the tundra and get into some class-3.
joelsteidl
14ers: 23 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joelsteidl »

I'd love to do Lyell, but don't have a permit and I'm not sure it's worth taking two days out the trip to do it when there's probably several closer peaks that would be great to do.
Lyell was the highlight of my two weeks in Yosemite. It's such a breath of fresh air to get out of the valley and up in the high country. I don't think you would regreat it.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Half Dome is a lot better looking at than from

#1 Class 2/3 hike is Mt. Conness. It is less than a day if you go from the Saddlebag Lake side (east)

Another goodie near Conness is North Peak; these are both near the very scenic 20 Lakes Basin

These are both near Dana, which is a goodie

Great class 1/2 with awesome views of Half Dome and the Valley is North Dome

Tioga Peak and Lake Gardisky are cool.

Tuolumne Peak and Mt. Hoffman are great class 2/3s.

In the Cathedrals Unicorn Peak is real fun, and Althusky and Cockscomb

Vogelsang and Amelia Earhardt are great

Mt. Clark is class 3/4 and is epic--hard to get to tho

There are tons of others. You can't go wrong.
pbjames
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pbjames »

Lyell is absolutely doable in a day, it's much easier than Whitney in that regard. Yes, there is a long approach, but it is all on a fairly level and well-graded trail. I'd go for it.

Mount Dana is a snap, and has some of the most amazing summit views I've ever seen. If you only have 5-6 hours, that's where I'd go.

Here's a shot I took on the southern flank of Dana, heading towards Mount Gibbs:

Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

+ Unicorn Peak
Toulumne Meadows is a great base from which to explore a great sea of scrambling terrain.
-km
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

steelfrog wrote:Great class 1/2 with awesome views of Half Dome and the Valley is North Dome
steelfrog knows of what he speaks.
If the Valley is your home base, North Dome is a great choice.
Crowds will thin to nothing past the falls.

Why suffer this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8a99-bzuBk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow the youtube trail for more miserable tales of the cables.
I think I'm getting sick. Mom?????

Tuolumne on the other hand, offers so much more potential.