Can you identify this mountain from a commercial?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mouse_rat
Trip Reports (0)

Can you identify this mountain from a commercial?

Post by mouse_rat »

I was curious, though someone might know where this is located. Pretty sure not in Colorado and may be heavily edited. I saw it in a Toyota commercial.
mtn.jpg
mtn.jpg (58.46 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Can you identify this mountain from a commercial?

Post by milan »

Could be East Sierra Nevada? The mountains look high, landscape looks like volcanic rock in desert, there is an area of some hills in Ovens Valley where the California movie industry likes to work. Unfortunately, I can't identyfy anything specific (e.g. Whitney..) that would make me sure about that.
RJansen77
14ers: 52  3  9 
13ers: 6 1
Trip Reports (17)

Post by RJansen77 »

I believe the large peak on the right side is Lone Pine Peak, not 100% sure though. I climbed Whitney six years ago and remember that peak is much more impressive than Whitney from the valley.
elevationcelebration
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elevationcelebration »

Peak on the right is Lone Pine Peak (12,944). Peak in the center at first is Mt. Langley (14,027 or so), has small flat top. Whitney is out of view/behind clouds to right. Looks to be taken from Alabama Hills area. Fun part of the Sierra! Similar view at the beginning of the second transformers movie I noticed!
dmdoug
14ers: 15 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmdoug »

Sure looks like Whitney Portal Road going through the Alabama Hills.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

It is in fact on Whitney Portal Rd. Here's a Google Streets view of that exact same telephone pole in the center of the photo. The bushes to the left of that car in the photo are the same ones in the center of the Google Streets View.

http://g.co/maps/d6kyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein