Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

3,000' foot rule? Try Mauna Kea...

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

3,000' foot rule? Try Mauna Kea...

Postby TalusMonkey » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:59 am

Why not impose a 13,000 foot rule?

Here is the real trek...a 52 mile RT to summit Mauna Kea, HI. The map shows the route from sea level to the summit at 13,796. Sure, hiking a road sucks, but I know some people here hike some of the Guanella Pass road to get their magical 3,000... I hope to do this Mauna Kea hike the year after next...

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/mauna-kea/
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Postby RenoBob » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:13 am

TM:
I have doubted your sanity more than once, but this idea cements your place in the pantheon of looneys, wackos and the just plain sick.
I can imagine how appealing this 13,000' challenge must seem to you, but it will really suck hiking those roads for 2-3 days.
Be that as it may, go with my best wishes for sucess. Don't forget to post information here at 14ers, before you go, telling us how to donate to your memorial fund in the event you don't make it back.
Sincerely,
Reno
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby TalusMonkey » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:23 am

ROFL! Thanks for the support Bob! Yeah, it will be sort of lame to hike the road, but for just this mountain it will be nice to have a photo of me standing ankle deep in saltwater on the beach at the start of the hike - for a true definition of sea level (geoid be damned).

If only I could deep water scuba with mixed gas down to 204 feet and start from there, I could make Mauna Kea a 14er ascent!

(I'll be hiking Boundary Peak with you before I hike Kea)
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Postby RenoBob » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:33 am

Talus:
Are you SCUBA certified? If so, go for the 14,000 ft climb. There are number of local dive shops, owned by island whacked jobs, that would be delighted to help you pull that off. Be sure and get a water proof GPS to accurately mark your starting point, then some sort of underwater topo map that you can splice to the Big Island topo map and then post the whole route on your TR...if you survive. :D
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby Mountainman18 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:34 am

wow thats pretty insane...now that you told me about it i have to comtemplate how I'm going to get to HI to do it... :? :lol:

Tallest Mountain in the World!

Postby jimlup » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:06 am

Go for it TM! We'll definitely cheer you on this one.

Mauna Kea is the "tallest" mountain in the world (when measured from sea floor to summit). I'd love to be on the summit for sunset and some evening star gazing I wonder if they allow hikers to be at the summit after dark? Does anyone know?

Interestingly, the visitor center advises people who have been scuba diving in the last 24 hours not to attempt the summit. I guess that won't affect the suggested TM scuba plan since the hike will take several days once out of the sea. I wonder how deep you can dive? I suppose you would need a super-sub to do the whole 9,000 meters since the base of this volcano is way too deep for scuba equipement.

I'm thinking of doing the Mauna Kea this christmas since I'm not ready for a winter 14er just yet. Has anyone hiked it recently? I know you need a film permit to take pictures and you need to register at the visitor center to hike it. It would be cool to walk up to the big telescopes.

Postby Bean » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:27 pm

f'n right, TM. I've been thinking about this for some time, if I ever get back out to Hawaii. I'd cheat though and get a car ride back down though.