Rainier Area question

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Rainier Area question

Post by nyker »

FYI, the hike up Camp Muir was a very nice hike! I did it last week to acclimatize for the summit climb on the weekend and then again on the climb itself. It makes a great training hike, if the weather is good.

Yes, there is a lot of snow up there this year. when I did it he first time, it was cooler and in the early morning, it was a toss up as to whether crampons were helpful (I didn't use them, but had them in my pack just in case). Later in the week, the snow was soft enough and the boottrack sufficient to not warrant crampons or an axe on this even with the new snow that fell before I got there.

As lazy climber mentioned, cracks can develop later in the season here so for those heading up, be careful and don't veer off too much in either direction to the left or right also. Some awesome views on that snowfield. I also learned of a few folks (dayhikers) that went missing earlier this year after a whiteout came in and new snow fell, so be careful if you're heading up in questionable weather.

Also, bring sunblock and some head protection as the sun is intense.