Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

A nutty Proposition

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

A nutty Proposition

Postby steelfrog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:41 pm

OK, I have to be in Phoenix for business Monday. So, I am going there tonight at 10; drive to the north rim directly; start hiking at about 4 a.m., try to get to Roaring Springs by sunrise; hike back up; drive to Flagstaff; hike up Humphreys Peak and try to be on top for sunset. Sunrise inside GC, sunset on Humphreys.

Any advice re: this?

Re: A nutty Proposition

Postby larkinrx2 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:00 pm

the max speed limit in the park is 45 mph and the rangers will radar you #LFMF
plus i think you mean south rim as its a rather far drive to the north rim?
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby steelfrog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:18 pm

I'll report back, hopefully tomorrow night. I mean N rim; been S aready. N is I think about 6 hour drive, maybe a little more, from Phoenix.

Postby JsinDeAZ » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:57 pm

i do the south rim (s. kaibab) to the river and out then drive to humphreys and hike it several times a year. it's a fun day. typically can do the cycle in less than 10 hrs of hike time (drive is usually 1.5 hrs between)
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron

Postby steelfrog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:04 pm

So, you think it's unrealistic to do the N rim thing? Haven't been there before.

If I do S rim instead, which trail should I take down?

Postby steelfrog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:04 pm

Also--how rough is the trail (N Kaibab too); could I wear my Vibrams down into ther canyon? Up Humphreys I guess I'll wear boots

Postby steelfrog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Ok; I researched a bit; how would it be to try and get to Plateau Point tonight and catch sunrise there? Then drive to Flagstaff and do sunset from Humphreys?

Postby JsinDeAZ » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:42 pm

never been to plateau. i'm diehard s. kaibab because i love the brutality of the hike back up. canyon trails are so easy to follow and so well maintained. n. kaibab is the same. you can wear any shoe that's comfortable. i did the rim2rim2rim in a pair of trail runners. i would say your plan is totally doable with one exception. I don't know what the road is like up to snowbowl (where Humphreys trailhead starts). it has been closed nightly due to it being one lane as they lay pipes. i've been up there twice this summer and it's been restricted. i don't know it's current status.
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron

Postby Scott P » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:17 pm

So, you think it's unrealistic to do the N rim thing? Haven't been there before.

Drive time North Rim to Humphreys is somewhere in the five hour range, so yes, it would be a bit unrealistic.

Ok; I researched a bit; how would it be to try and get to Plateau Point tonight and catch sunrise there? Then drive to Flagstaff and do sunset from Humphreys?

Maybe OK, but I couldn't do it.

Also, be aware that it's supposed to be pushing 100F in the bottom of the Grand Canyon tomorrow, but if you're from Pheonix you should be used to that.

If you wanted something easier than Plateau Point, you could go out to the Cedar Ridge on the South Kaibab. The South Kaibab probably has the better views for sunrise, though Plateau Point would be a good place to see the sunrise as well. The reason the South Kaibab has overall better views (at least when comparing the upper half of both trails) though is because the trail is more exposed and open making the hike out hotter.

Otherwise, good luck.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby edhaman » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:17 am

Most people follow the recommendation to go down South Kaibab, and come up Bright Angel. That's what I did. South Kaibab is steeper than Bright Angel.

Postby steelfrog » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Started S Rim at 3:15, made Plateau Poiint at 5:45--one little wrinkle--no headlamp! Good thing it wasn't cloudy. Headed to Flagstaff now, maybe do Humphreys

Postby peter303 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:30 am

North rim river round trip is 28 miles and a south rim half that.
With the south's shuttle buses you can close the loop on two different trails.

Next