Mt. whitney trail difficulty

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Mt. whitney trail difficulty

Post by nyker »

That's great betterhigh, good luck! I assuming you're planning on the Main Route? The trail is not hard, all Class 1, just long. Watch for bears in the lower reaches, 8-10k ft, there have been some incidents recently. This time of year, most all snow has gone, though snowpack was pretty high this year and lasted well into July. Above Trail Camp, water becomes more scarce, so fill up there.

If you're planning on the Mountaineers Route, it has the same elevation gain (+6,134ft), though is about 8 miles shorter, though mostly Class 2 with the last section from Iceberg lake Steep 2+, then Class 3 from the notch at around 13,900/14000ft. Above Iceberg lake, no water, so fill up here.

Both are wonderful routes. Depending on your hiking speed, you might wish to start earlier, 3am area. White Mountain peak would be a nice warmup and makes a really cool drive into the area to the trailhead. While in Yosemite, another great combination is to do the Half Dome & Clouds Rest combo from Happy Isles...long day (27 miles, +8000ft, but lower all <10,000ft), but awesome day. Again, watch for bears here. I've done this trail three times, and saw 1-2 bears each time.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I've got no idea, which still makes me mad to this day.
I spent a day in Lone Pine with my mom, brother and sister, mostly at the pool, while my dad climbed Whitney.
I can't remember how old I was, definately before puberty though or I would have enjoyed the pool.
I wanted to go, but they thought it would be too hard for me. So it must be a pretty tough route.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Bummer, Cheeseburglar. You may be angry still, but it seems you've sure compensated big time for this painful childhood incident -- yours is quite a peak list. Perhaps you never would have tackled the mountains as you have, if your parents had not denied you the chance in your earlier years. (You never know...) :wink:
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

Just hiked it yesterday.

Beautiful area.

One snowfield to cross on the trail.