Mt. whitney trail difficulty

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
betterhigh
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. whitney trail difficulty

Post by betterhigh »

So I am one of the lucky ones who has a permit - this upcoming week - for Mt. Whitney. I have read lots of tales of just how horrible/ grueling (difficulty) the hike is. How does it compare with Pikes (Pikes is similar length/ more elevation gain) /other Colorado 14ers? Seems Pikes via Barr (just did as day hike last month) was not that difficult, just long...thought hardest part was just after the parking lot. Appreciate your input!
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Mt. whitney trail difficulty

Post by schrund »

Pikes is probably a fair comparison. You can actually see the summit hut from the swictchbacks leading up to Trail Crest if you look in the right direction. I remember it seeming really far, but I lived at sea level at the time. The swtichbacks above Trail Camp were the "crux" as I recall.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

Betterhigh, When is your permit day?

I'm hiking on the 28th (SUNDAY).

Enjoy it.
bj
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bj »

If you climbed Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn Peak in the same day, it'll be a bit harder.
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..
betterhigh
14ers: 35  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by betterhigh »

I am wednesday 8/31. Very excited - should be a great day. Have a good week planned prior - Cloud's rest, Bishop pass, Big Pine Lakes area and Mammoth lakes (Lake ediza loop) area all starting tomorrow. Oh and then a few in Vegas! Good luck Sad2. Hey what time are you starting out in the morning...I hate starting super early plus driving down from Mammoth Lakes...I was thinking on trail by 430??

I did uncompaghre/ Matterhorn from matterhorn creek (that was a FULL day) and then Wetterhorn on a seperate trip - beautiful area/ hikes.

thanks for the responses
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Get on trail by 2 a.m. or so. 22 miles RT.

Are you climbing up Bishop Pass from South Lake? Have fun with that! Have you done your stair climbers lately!?

It is gorgeous out there. We just did the North Lake to South Lake loop via Lamarck Col last week, as well as some stuff in Yosemite. The air is clear down by Bishop, but in Yosemite, there are a bunch of controlled burns goign on that really haze out the views, esp. around CR and HD. Evolution Basin, Darwin Canyon, Humphreys Basin, LeConte Canyon, all are incredibly gorgeous. Snow and ice cups are still in abundance and water crossings are high.
sad2
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

I'm thinking 3:00 AM. Maybe a bit too early, but I'm driving to Vegas that evening/night.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

I thought you didn't have to get a permit if it was just a day hike? I thought the permits were required if you were going to camp on the way up.
bj
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bj »

Permits are required for ALL trips in the "Whitney Zone" including day trips.
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Class 1 trail all the way to the summit. Not even Pikes Peak is that good.
Its just very long at 21 miles round trip. And the infamous "97 switchbacks".
Tory Wells
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

The hikes up Pikes Barr Trail and Whitney's standard route are very similar...the biggest difference is you can't buy donuts in the summit hut on Whitney.

As a trailrunner, I've done both Pikes Barr Trail and Whitney's standard route as dayhikes. Barr Trail took me about 7 hours, Whitney about 8. Whitney has about 8 bazillion switchbacks for the entire trail, which was frustrating coming down but does save the legs going up. The trail is immaculate though, much like Barr Trail. You'll have fun, enjoy!
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
PatsSox09
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by PatsSox09 »

just did it last week.

The trail is in great condition...better than anything I've seen in Colorado, New England, or anywhere else out west (though I have not done Barr yet). It's a lot of elevation gain, but if you're in decent shape it's less than a cakewalk.

If you have time/energy make sure you tag Muir on the way up; it's an official and ranked CA 14er. Supposedly it's class 3, but really IMHO California class 3 is class 4 anywhere else, and it's a little exposed too, but still a fun scramble, and only 300 ft additional gain!

As for the permit situation, we didn't have one (we were doing it for a bachelor party, and had no concrete plans back in Feb), but there definitely are a lot of cancellations every day, esp middle of the week, so every day you have probably 5-15 last minute openings (plus, they're free too!). We had no problem getting 4 last minute permits for our trip.