Partner for Wheeler Pk, NV - Aug 31 - Sept 2

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
The Android
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Partner for Wheeler Pk, NV - Aug 31 - Sept 2

Post by The Android »

I am planning on making a trip to Great Basin Nat'l Park to hike Wheeler Pk next week. I would also like to take a look at the Lehman Caves while I'm there. I can drive from Salt Lake City if anyone is interested in joining.

This would be a sort of itinerary:

Aug 31 - Leave SLC around 1
Sept 1 - Hike Wheeler and come back down over Jeff Davis Pk. - if it was a beautiful day and the stars aligned maybe even think about an out and back on Baker from the ridge.
Sept 2 - Take a tour of the caves and drive out

Wheeler isn't the state highpoint, but it is the highest mountain totally contained within NV - so that's pretty neat.

Let me know if you're interested!
Ric Tinney
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Partner for Wheeler Pk, NV - Aug 31 - Sept 2

Post by Ric Tinney »

Enjoy. We were out there last month and climbed to the top. At that time I was able to glisade 3/4 of the way back down to Stella Lake.