Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Medicene Bow Peak?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Medicene Bow Peak?

Postby romulus » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:41 am

Anyone here ever done this one? I'm thinking about trying it at some point because it looks like a challenging hike.

Postby timm19 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:59 am

Romulus,
I climbed it with a friend about 2 years ago. It's a great hike with a well maintained trail all the way, never exceeding class 2. It's also in a beautiful setting with at least 20 lakes all around. You really feel like you're in the middle of nowhere-we only saw a couple of people at the very top the whole day. Enjoy! You'll love it.

Postby Iguru » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:26 pm

If you are talking about Medicine Bow Peak in the Snowy Range in Wyoming, yes, I climbed it in 2004 as a 14er warm up.
It is a very scenic hike, with an option that takes you down a different route, making it a loop trail. Total length guess: 8 miles, maybe gain 2000 feet.

Postby bud » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:37 pm

I also have climbed this one. I did it last year about this time of year, and as far a scenery goes, I think it beats many of the 14ers I have been on (although, that isnt too many). I think Iguru is aobut right with the distance and elevation gain. You can also climb a smaller mountian on the way down called Sugarloaf Peak (about 11,000 ft I think) to add a little more callenge and get some great pictures of Medicine Bow.

Postby AzScott » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:41 pm

Not to sound biased, but I think the Snowies are a spectacular range! :)

I recommend starting at the Lake Marie TH and climbing the long SW ridge to the summit, then heading down the east face and hiking past a slew of gorgeous lakes back to your car. It's a nice 6-7 mile loop. The white rock is really comporable to Snowmass's scenery. It's a fairly easy hike, true, but it's a beautiful hike. And don't forget, Laramie is only 2 hours from Denver, so it's not like it's that far away. Much better than the crowds on the Front Range, too!
Wait...I'm inviting Greenies up into the quiet Wyoming mountains, what am I doing? :wink: :D

Have fun!

Scott

Postby romulus » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:44 pm

Thanks guys. Looks like another one to add to the list.

Postby Matt » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:48 am

Here's another endorsement for this peak. Yes, it's an easy hike, but my flatlander friends and I had a blast on it last summer. We even did some short, but fun glissading. Enjoy.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby Aubrey » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:04 pm

Sounds like you're already convinced ... but if you're not, here's yet another endorsement. And if you're up in Loveland, you really must head up to the Snowy Range sometime. Less than 2 hours away. Very pretty area, and it's not crowded at all, relatively speaking. From the peak you have great, windswept views into northern Colorado and wide-open Wyoming. The peaks in that range are surprisingly steep and abrupt, though the trail isn't.

We climbed Medicine Bow Peak last year and only came across a few other climbers. Did the loop (though, I don't remember TH name/details off the top of my head) and had a great time. Supposedly, it's a good snowmobile area in the winter, too.

Medicine Bow Peak

Postby ckk527 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:09 am

MB Peak gave me my first experience above sea level in 1985, and I never looked back. Packed into Telephone Lake area, hung out a few days, sampling some of most wary (and delicious) brook trout I ever met.

Iguru's right about the length and elevation gain. Definitely a great introduction to the pleasures of the Snowy Range.

Thanks for the memories. Have fun! --Carl
He said, 'Come to the edge.'
I replied, 'No; I am afraid.'
He said, 'Come to the edge.'
I said, 'No; I will fall.'
He said, Come to the edge.'
And I did. He pushed me.
And I flew. --Baudelaire

Postby Mountainman18 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:34 am

yeah, this sounds like one i have to add to my list too. thanks guys.

Postby evilproofer » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:14 pm

MB Peak gave me my first experience above sea level in 1985

Wow, so nice to hear from our aquatic friends as well! Mountaineering is for everyone! :D

Did Medicine Bow last month; it was very quick from Lake Marie. (1.5 hours to the summit? Am I imagining that?) I didn't know about the more extensive loop as I was just passing through, but the scenery was fantastic.

Postby MtHurd » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:20 pm

Drove past it on the way to the Tetons last year (worth the extra hour). It is a beautiful place.