Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wheeler Peak NM avalanche conditions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Re: Wheeler Peak NM avalanche conditions

Postby TerryLiv » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks guys,

We are leaving tomorrow morning for Wheeler on Saturday and Humphreys Peak in Arizona on Monday..

Terry

Postby Monster5 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Terry - how were the conditions? I'm working down in Red River and figured I'd head up this weekend. The Kachima suggestion sounds interesting. Thanks!
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby MtHurd » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:37 pm

If you really have a lot of energy, you can take a side trip from the Kachina route and also get in Vallecito Mountain which is another NM 12er. Your side trip begins between Lake Fork Peak and Pt. 12,819.

Postby smitty » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:58 pm

We climbed Wheeler this past weekend - up Bull of the Woods and down the steeper trail to the lake. Although there was a little snow in the trees, it was not an issue. I think the loop including Kachina would be dry too.

Postby TerryLiv » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Condition of the trail through the woods was wonderful. The forest service or whoever did a great job of clearing downed trees. In the trees the deepest snow drift was only about 2 feet. Above the trees, there was only one 20 ft snow crossing that could be bypassed if desired. One of the most windy days on a peak though when I arrived at 8AM.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Terry

Postby Monster5 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks for the info - looks like Saturday's a good day for them! SP has a good map/photo report of the Kachina->Wheeler route.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby MtHurd » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:52 am

How long are you going to be working in Red River? Don't forget to check out the Latirs before you leave.

Previous