Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gannett Peak- Wyo

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Gannett Peak- Wyo

Postby FrontRangeClone » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:41 pm

Greetings fellow 14er'er's,

has anyone ever climbed/hiked Gannett Peak in the Wind River Range of Wyo? It's the state's highest peak, and was wondering if it is technical and what it would be comprable to in Colorado.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it."

Edward R. Murrow

Postby rijaca » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:45 pm

Climbed Gannett last summer, long approach ~20 miles one way, technical snow/glacier climb. NOTHING comparable in Colorado! :D

Trip report:
http://home.comcast.net/~rijaca/WindRiv ... Rivers.mht

Postby zacob » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:27 pm

This one is on my must do list as well. While I have not done it I have done some research check out this link

http://americasroof.com/wy.shtml

note on left you will see a little blurb something like 40 miles round this is the longest round trip of any high point including Mt McKinley, with 9000 feet of gain.

It is a serious undertaking, it is remote rescue begins and ends with yourself and your team

Postby Ryan Mishmash » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:38 pm

Postby FrontRangeClone » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:56 pm

thanks everyone for the great info....... as an amateur hiker/mountaineer, it may be awhile before I attempt Gannett, but at least I know what to work towards!

Just seeing pics of the Wind River Range gives me goosebumps, I don't know what it is about those mountains, the rugged nature, the remoteness that I miss in mountains. Wyoming is so sparse with people that an endeavor in Wyo can really get you away from people as compared to front range 14er on a summer weekend.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it."

Edward R. Murrow

Postby pbakwin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:22 am

Here's a a report on an alternative approach to Gannett which is
a little shorter route (approx 35 miles RT). Starts from Green River
Lakes trail head and goes up Wells Creek. You can avoid the
technical rock climbing by going up Tourist Creek instead (the
drainage you encounter just before Wells Creek.)

http://www.geocities.com/pbakwin/gannett.html

Great peak, really worth it.
PB

Postby Climber16 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:09 am

pbakwin wrote:Here's a a report on an alternative approach to Gannett which is
a little shorter route (approx 35 miles RT). Starts from Green River
Lakes trail head and goes up Wells Creek. You can avoid the
technical rock climbing by going up Tourist Creek instead (the
drainage you encounter just before Wells Creek.)

http://www.geocities.com/pbakwin/gannett.html

Great peak, really worth it.
PB

Wow! You guys really hauled it! Kudos to you and Buzz.

Postby Mountainman18 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:09 am

I don't think that too many people climb Gannett, let alone in one day. Wow, very impressive. That's one that I won't be doing in one day.
Congrats!

Postby kreibach » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:28 am

I did gannet 6 or 7 years ago. It's the best I've ever done or seen. Absolutely beautiful. Titcomb basin and Island lake are simply stunning. I guess part of the beauty is the remoteness. Part of the problem is the remoteness. Can't complain too much. It's technical in the "general mountaineering" sense not the rock climbing sense. We brought rope, crampons, ice ace, helmet. We roped up for glacier travel and general protection. Crampons and Ice axe are needed items. The 800 ft + glasade back into Titcomb Basin down Dinwoody Pass is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!
take me back to colorado!!!

Postby rijaca » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:01 am

Gannett from Dinwoody pass:

Gannett

Postby Chazman » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:12 am

I climbed Gannett about 12 years ago.. from the Titcomb Lakes area. Its a 7,000 foot day because one has to climb over Dinwoody Pass and then give up alot of elevation just to get to the base of Gannett. If I do it again, I'll come in from the east - up the valley that is accessible from Dubois to the base of Gannett.

The photo enclosed by Rajaca (sp) is impressive. I climbed the steep couloir that is to the left of the summit. Its at least 1,500 vertical feet of 45 degree soft snow that faces west. There is a massive crevice at the bottom of this couloir so its a spooky feeling when both ascending and descending with one's ice axe firmly planted in the snow with each step.

While returning down Dinwoody we were passed by a guy in running shorts and a fanny pack who ran the entire way and scrambled up the ridge to the right of the couloir! He was on a 45 mile trek that day with the least amount of gear I'd ever seen in the back country!