Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Non Technical in the Tetons

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Non Technical in the Tetons

Postby jfox » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:17 pm

I'll be up working for 2+ weeks in the Tetons 6/28 - 7/14, and plan on taking a day or two to climb.

Are there any peaks that do not require ropes that are cool to climb? i.e. - Teewinot or S. or M. Teton? I don't mind class 4 scrambling but I don't know anything about roping up!

I've done Static peak so I'm looking for something a bit more challenging than walking up a trail.

Thanks!

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:17 pm

Yep - Teewinot is great (photos). I thought South Teton was a little dull for the long trudge up the valley (photos). I hear Middle Teton is more interesting.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Postby jfox » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:37 am

:) Thanks! Well I did the Middle Teton....it was really fun and a lot more challenging than Bierstadt and Gray's. Anyway, it was a loooong climb! Did it in 13 hours. Six hours up, seven down. Had to do some snow climbing too with the axe etc. Lots of actually climbing/scrambling near the top w/lots of loose rock.

I'll try to post some pictures soon.
Last edited by jfox on Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dan the Mountain Man » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:08 am

I also climbed the Middle Teton not too long ago! It was definately a challenge, but doable in a day with the correct gear and planning.

I have a feeling there was more snow than usual because of the heavy snowfall this winter in Jackson, giving a little extra practice using crampons and an axe.

I bet your buddy was pretty freaked out when he fell and slid 200 feet. Sounds like he stopped himself pretty good though with his axe. It is always good to practice self arresting on a slope where you have some control.

Oh, and the view from the top is incredible, and I would recomend this climb to anyone. Having a partner is good though, just in case, I did see some people that soloed the middle... a little too xtreme for me.
Bis zur Grenze gefordet, koennen wir alle mehr, als wir wollen -Reinhold Messner

One does not climb to attain enlightenment, rather one climbs because he is enlightened- Zen Master Futomaki

Postby jfox » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:57 pm

I've finally posted my TR for the Middle Teton here:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/2 ... uloir.html

Enjoy! :D

Postby Alan Ellis » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:48 pm

Nice TR and photos. Thanks for posting.

AE
Sack up and climb.