Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What should I expect attempting to summit Mt. Rainier?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Postby Steve » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Michaelkostal...
If you're going in June you ought to go ahead and give them a call. My recollection is that they fill their spaces pretty early.

Postby BearHamr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:27 pm

My partner and I "Marty 369" are doing the 3 day summit climb July 31 - Aug 2. We are staying at the bunkhouse as well.

Just called and that trip is booked.
The only thing necessary for the truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Postby kruegera » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:35 pm

I did Ranier last July via Disappointment Cleaver (rocky outcropping). It was a great climb with perfect weather. The cleaver was pretty challenging at 2 a.m. with crampons.

My prep included 60+ minutes of cardio 6 days per week. Stairmaster with 55 lb pack, 30 + mile bike rides, 5 mile runs. I felt real strong all the way up and felt great coming down until I jammed my boot into a rock on the cleaver and broke my big toenail. Then every step was painful.

I'm doing Elbert and Massive along with one other 14er this summer. I will be interested in the cardio difference between the different climbs.

The worst part was the lack of sleep. I was up 34 hours straight. The only person who got any sleep at Camp Muir was the person snoring all night.

RMI was great, the sweat bees were annoying.

Good luck.
"All right, you scrawny beanpoles: becoming a cop is not something that happens overnight. It takes one solid weekend of training to get that badge. "
Chief Wiggum, Springfield Chief of Police

Postby kruegera » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:44 pm

RE: True Summit

RMI was very upfront about the true summit. They basically left it up to us if we wanted to hit the true summit. From the crater rim to the true summit was probably the easiest part of the climb above 10K. You drop your pack in the rim and go up 40lbs lighter.
"All right, you scrawny beanpoles: becoming a cop is not something that happens overnight. It takes one solid weekend of training to get that badge. "
Chief Wiggum, Springfield Chief of Police

Postby Scott P » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:48 pm

The only person who got any sleep at Camp Muir was the person snoring all night.

That seems to be the norm in organized camps. I am a light sleeper. While at Barr Camp (Pikes) over New Years last year, someone was really snoring. On night 2, I just left and slept on the snow with my sleeping bag and thermarest.

On the Mt. Luxemore hut in New Zealand, same thing. Loud snoring on at night.

Same with Tlamacas on Popocatepetl in Mexico.

Same with the Barrels on Elbrus.

Also, the........

The list goes on! :D

RMI was very upfront about the true summit. They basically left it up to us if we wanted to hit the true summit.

That's good news. To me, it is unimportant to what people claim as teh summit, but if the summit is defined and known, then a guide should say so. Thanks for pointing that out.

Postby TalusMonkey » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:59 pm

Kruegera:

Where do you live? Your Rainier training program sounds intense. Do you live near sea level or around 1,500'? I just hope I don't have to train that hard to do Rainier! Of course, I would be doing Rainier after conditioning for several weeks on Colorado 14ers.

Last fall I did La Plata and Yale (Colorado 14ers) on the same day. That was 18 miles and 8,700 feet of gain. I was tired at the end, but I figure it was a "sorta" (distance and vertical) test for Rainier - except for a heavier load and clothing, glacier travel in mountaineering boots, walking on crampons...etc... :)

Thanks,
David
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

"The Man"

Postby roozers42 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:37 pm

For those of you traveling to the Seattle area this summer to climb Rainier, I suggest a trip to Dixie's Barbeque in Bellevue to meet "the man". Great food, you won't be disappointed.

Re: "The Man"

Postby Layne Bracy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:02 pm

roozers42 wrote:For those of you traveling to the Seattle area this summer to climb Rainier, I suggest a trip to Dixie's Barbeque in Bellevue to meet "the man". Great food, you won't be disappointed.

Amen.

One speck of "the man" had me burning. My friend played it tough and was then given a teaspoon-sized amount. Within 60 seconds he was sweating profusely - we worried we would have to take him to the hospital for internal bleeding!

Postby BearHamr » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:41 am

Funny...all this time my wife has been telling me that I am the man.

Will try it out, I love spicy BBQ. The question is... will I make it home on a 4 hour plane ride without being kicked off the plane. LOL
The only thing necessary for the truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Postby Marty369 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:13 pm

Dude you are so not the man. You get teary eyed on spicy meatloaf.

Thanks for all the great info everyone!

Postby theomont » Wed May 24, 2006 9:28 pm

What in the world is going to cost you $2,000? I am doing Rainier next summer and plan on spending no more than $600. I don't plan on using RMI as a guide but I am going to take their one day climbing school. After that I am doing the climb by myself (and a buddy, of course). The cost of the class is $165 and the rest of the money is for food and a plane ticket.

BearHamr wrote:Thanks for all of the input from everyone.

I have asked numerous questions at RMI, and although they are polite, they seem a little put out with my questions and have the attitude that I should already know.

The total trip is running me approx. $2,000.

Postby TalusMonkey » Thu May 25, 2006 5:03 am

I've priced the RMI Rainier summit trip along with a solo down to Mt. Hood myself as follows:

$795 RMI
$275 Rental car for 10 days
$300 Gas to drive 3000 miles to Ashford, then down to Hood, then DEN
$400 7 nights lodging
$125 meals & misc

$1,895 total
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

PreviousNext