Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Culebra Peak - scam or Legit?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Pay or Steal

Pay
70%
Steal
30%

Total votes : 97

Postby JeffR » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:40 am

Jared Workman wrote:Legit/legal doesn't necessarily make it right.

Fixed for correctness. And I don't think many are arguing that point.

Jared Workman wrote:I f the question is ' is it legal?' then there is only one answer.

As I stated.

Postby Scott P » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:25 am

WHAT? Lack of public land in Colorado? Check this:

Public land in Colorado: 39.86% of total area
e.g., Public land in Texas: 1.92% of total area

http://www.nrcm.org/documents/publiclandownership.pdf

Public land here is over eighteeen times that of Texas. And it's certainly a helluva a lot more than eighteen times more scenic.

Yes, there is a lack of public land in Colorado compared to most Western States:

http://www.summitpost.org/fact-sheet/18 ... tates.html

And, keep in mind that much of the public land here is blocked by private land. Just about every mountain range in Colorado has serious private land issues. I can't think of any that do not. What Texas does/is is irrelevant.

In many other Western States, you can visit huge areas or entire mountain ranges, and park/camp anywhere you want and hike or climb in any direction and never run into a private property sign or fence.

Postby Chris P. » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:16 am

That page is pretty interesting Scott.

I've also been bothered lately, not especially by the lack of public lands in CO, but by the necessity for so many regulations in many public areas. I realize that these regulations are a product of an exponential increase in use due to tourism etc... but it bothers me that I have to buy a permit to access certain wilderness areas. It really seems that wilderness areas and other public lands are being overrun, especially in the northern areas of the state. But I digress... I'm off topic here.

On topic: I am of the opinion that it is not only legal for the ranch owners to charge an access fee, but also well within any moral or ethical standard (I honestly don't know what morals or ethics have to do with this, but that is the terminology that people seem to be using regarding this issue). I feel that this situation is absolutely comparable to the example that many others have given; what if you own a piece of land where there is some feature that may or may not be important to you, but attracts the attention of thousands of others? No matter what this feature may be, I feel it is justified for the landowner to charge a fee for access. Just my .02.

Previous