Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Culebra Peak - scam or Legit?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Pay or Steal

Pay
69%
Steal
31%

Total votes : 98

Postby ThinAir » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:04 am

I ski patrolled for 5 years in the '90s and we had no issue w people skinning up and skiing down, though we preferred to be notified and would issue a free uphill access pass. It was all about the lifts. If you got caught poaching a chair lift ride, it was theft of services, and the mucky-mucks in the ivory tower made sure to prosecute. Otherwise, no worries.

Postby Scott P » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:08 am

come on scott, how could you not list everyone's favorite private property issue wilson peak?

I listed peaks with the summits on private land, not all the peaks with priavte land on them. :wink: I believe the summit of Wilson Peak is right out side the private land claim.

Postby shanahan96 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:15 am

this is the map we used in may when climbing wilson peak. to me, it looks like wilson peak's summit is part of the private property claim. what do you think?

http://previous.cmc.org/cmc/rpt/SILVERPICKsign3.PDF

also, without an official survey, we don't have a clue how accurate/inaccurate that is.

jamie

Postby Gahugafuga » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:26 am

In Scandinavia, there is a societal understanding that everyone is free to move through the countryside, regardless of whether the land is public or private, provided they are respectful.

allemansret
Happiness is:

Postby Scott P » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:32 am

In Scandinavia, there is a societal understanding that everyone is free to move through the countryside, regardless of whether the land is public or private, provided they are respectful.

Extend that from Scandinavia to almost the entire world outside places like miltary bases and the like. The above is actually true for almost the entire world. Almost no one in the world gives a second thought for someone wanted to cross a cow pasture or something to climb a mountain. The US is one of the only places in the world I'm aware of that has the opposing attitude.

In most countries, crossing private land and things like pastures and trails through croplands and farms to climb mountains is just a way of life without a second thought given.

Postby elkheart22 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:17 pm

I meant only one 14er on private land, sorry for the oversight.
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett

Postby Scott P » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:20 pm

I meant only one 14er on private land, sorry for the oversight.

At least eight 14ers have their summits on private land, maybe more. Luckily the landowners aren't making an issue of it, yet. :shock:

Everyone better cross their fingers that it never happens.
Last edited by Scott P on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby elkheart22 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:25 pm

Yes, a lot of those are mining claims, some have
just a part of the mountain private.

you are absolutly right, it could be worse.
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett

Postby wasclywabbit » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 pm

I don't think that anyone in our group poached Red Mountain. Several of us myself included didn't have enough gas left in our tanks to have poached it even if we wanted to. :roll:

Kiefer

Re: Culebra Peak - scam or Legit?

Postby Kiefer » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:15 pm

marmotman wrote:I’m new to this site as well as relatively new to Colorado and the mountains here. I wanted to open up some discussion on Culebra Peak. I’m inclined to steal the peak but I’m open and curious to other philosophies on the subject. To me it seem selfish to charge and I’m finding it hard to respect the owners enough to pay when I could just sneak on. But like I said I’d like to hear others opinions. Also, does anyone know what the penalty is for getting caught…just curious.

You probably don't want to go climbing (alpine) in the Himalayas then if $150.00 upsets you. :wink:

I don't have a problem with poaching peaks/mountains (I've done my share) BUT I don't have a problem with paying for them either if it means private property, safety, guides, future access issues etc.

But, then I'm reminded of that native American query, "How can you buy or sell the earth?"
AND, I'm knocked back to the first tenant of just poaching the thing. SO, I suppose it's just a vicious circle that's more or less, conditional and situational.

Postby CorduroyCalves » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:55 pm

Scott Patterson wrote:

Extend that from Scandinavia to almost the entire world outside places like miltary bases and the like. The above is actually true for almost the entire world. Almost no one in the world gives a second thought for someone wanted to cross a cow pasture or something to climb a mountain. The US is one of the only places in the world I'm aware of that has the opposing attitude.

In most countries, crossing private land and things like pastures and trails through croplands and farms to climb mountains is just a way of life without a second thought given.

Kinda puts a new spin on "This Land is Your Land, This Land is MY Land" :lol:
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby KirkT » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:27 pm

Let's see, 54 ranked 14er's by most lists, one costs $100, the rest are free, If my math is correct..that's less than $2 to hike all of them... it's worth it to me.. nuff said.

Kirk

PreviousNext