Fatality on Crestone Needle

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
bjkent76
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fatality on Crestone Needle

Post by bjkent76 »

Those are GREAT pics. Thank you!!
Roald
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Roald »

Sad to hear and must have been horrible to watch. My condolences.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

For those interested in considering the east gully, this thread has some documentation of that route:

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8&start=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

There was just a recovery, and now a rescue underway. Rain with hail just hit here in Westcliffe. Saw a Blackhawk fly through Bears Playground yesterday while atop Columbia Point. It was well below and between me and Crestone Peak and flew through the clouds coming and forming there, either by instruments or damn good knowledge of terrain. Sidenote: GPS might not help you find the correct gully at night.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

That's just awful news. Does anyone know where the accidents occurred? Sounds like on the Needle descent?

My condolences to the family of the deceased climber, and my prayers for all involved in the rescue this morning.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

SAR posted a pretty dramatic photo recently,

https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/phot ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tornadoman
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

On their facebook page, Custer County SAR is reporting that the subject has been transferred to the hospital and is in stable condition. It looks like they were in the west gully, near the crossover. Another great job SAR! =D>
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

This is great news! Outstanding job again by Custer County SAR.

Also, this note on CCSAR's Facebook page:

"The climber's helmet is being credited with saving his life! "

A good reminder for everyone - wear a helmet on anything class 3+.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Phill the Thrill wrote:This is great news! Outstanding job again by Custer County SAR.

Also, this note on CCSAR's Facebook page:

"The climber's helmet is being credited with saving his life! "

A good reminder for everyone - wear a helmet on anything class 3+.
I've posted this before, but while descending the Needle, a softball size rock whizzed by my head and skinned my hand. I jerked my head at the last second, when my partner yelled, "rock." It skinned my hand b/c reflexively raised my hand to block the rock from hitting my head. This was totally instinctive- the rock was moving to fast to make any decision. NO ONE was above us at the time. I was wearing a helmet and if that rock hit me, I might have lived and without a helmet, probably killed.

I've only worn my helmet on Little Bear, the Maroon Bells and the Needle.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Bill,

Since so many people frequent this site, do you think it'd be a good idea to put a warning (similar to Quandary in the winter) on the Needle route page that highlights the dangers of climbing this peak? It lists class 3 but I'm not sure if people really know what they are getting themselves into when they plan to climb it.

Also, that SAR photo is intense!
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
justiner
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

XterraRob wrote:Bill,
Since so many people frequent this site, do you think it'd be a good idea to put a warning (similar to Quandary in the winter) on the Needle route page that highlights the dangers of climbing this peak? It lists class 3 but I'm not sure if people really know what they are getting themselves into when they plan to climb it.
Great idea.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

XterraRob wrote:Bill,

Also, that SAR photo is intense!
+1. I certainly didn't know what I was getting into when I climbed it, and my partner and I were lucky to escape with only minor scrapes from a short fall that we took while descending. I shudder to think what could have happened to us had we started climbing from the trailhead that day, or had we had bad weather.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6