Let's see your artwork!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Let's see your artwork!

Post by bergsteigen »

MtnHub wrote: But as I stated in the beginning of this thread, I’m looking to see and appreciate any kind of creative artwork any 14er user comes up with. So Otina, if you or anyone else, have something to offer and deem it worthy to share, please do! I’d love to see them! :-D
You asked for it! :P I don't have my drawings scanned/photographed, just a few paintings from when I got my first digital camera in ~2004. I'll look to see if any are worth digitizing. It's been a while since I've looked at them.

Here are a couple of my decent ones from my embarrassing butterfly phase in my advanced painting class at SUNY Fredonia. My professor was ever annoyed at me, and wanted me to go into abstract.
Attachments
red_butterfly.jpg
red_butterfly.jpg (250.6 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
butterfly_wing.jpg
butterfly_wing.jpg (216.27 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Those quilts are AWESOME!
=D>
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Thanks, Brian, and thanks to everyone who has contributed so far! It's fascinating to see what others use as subjects, or where you see beauty. I think art and your creative expression is kind of like looking into your soul.

Glad you decided to share, Otina. And heaven forbid you ever break anything again, but IF you ever find yourself in another cast again sitting around at home for several weeks with your leg elevated, you might dig out the pens and paints again and renew your skills. :wink: :lol:

I love your woodcut, G-G! I've been making our personal Christmas cards every year now for 44 years. With only a few exceptions, they have all been linoleum block prints (one of the carry-over skills from my elective college class. :lol: ) Which reminds me, I need to start thinking about a design for this year!

My love for art started very young. When I was about 7-8yo, my parents bought a set of World Book Encyclopedias, I guess thinking it would be a useful tool for school as my brothers and I got older. I think it was volume 'A' for 'Artist' that had several pages of colored glossy examples of art masters and the paintings they were famous for. I can still remember the profound effect it had on me when I came across El Greco's View of Toledo in a Storm, and all the magnificent engravings of Albrecht Durer.

Am curious also what, or who, inspired anyone else in their creative endeavors?
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

I like to make things, and consider a pretty broad range under the category "art". So while I've given away most of my 14ers related paintings, here are some other things made.

Dining room table:
table base.jpg
table base.jpg (305.43 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
table.jpg
table.jpg (261.54 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Watercolor of my son, when he was younger:
Nathan with train.jpg
Nathan with train.jpg (255.71 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Here are a few more.

Irises
irises.jpg
irises.jpg (327.98 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
Reclining nude watercolor:
reclining.jpg
reclining.jpg (242.19 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
Union Station charcoal drawing:
charcoal union station.jpg
charcoal union station.jpg (339.87 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I call this one, "mountains in the moonlight with fingerprints from my children"
MtnHub
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Very nice watercolors, Pilgrim! Your painting of son and locomotive reminded me of one of my nephews when he was about the same age. He was fanatical about trains and engines etc and could label correctly every little detailed part of one. They visited us shortly after we built our home. We didn't have any toys for him to play with, so I quickly made a train set out of old boxes for him to play on a couple of weeks before they arrived. Not exactly 'art' in the true sense, but it did involve a little painting. :lol:
Attachments
'Box Car Express' train I made for my nephew.
'Box Car Express' train I made for my nephew.
box train - Version 2.jpg (123.73 KiB) Viewed 3931 times
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Post by spong0949 »

Glaciergirl, I really like the climbing pictures. They work as both abstract and realistic pieces at the same time. Are these done from photos you took?

Here's a milky way scene in acrylic. I have very little experience with nighttime photography and figure it would almost be easier to just paint the scenes:

I also made a 14ers list using the silhouette outlines of each of the peaks. Someone recently contacted me asking to use a few of these for a tattoo of the peaks they'd just climbed. I told them they would be filling up a lot of skin space if they planned on completing them all. :shock:

Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
glaciergirl
14ers: 43 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glaciergirl »

Thanks Spong! They're actually mostly from in my head, but I used pictures of El Cap for rock texture and pictures of people climbing to get proportions right.

I really like your paintings too; the details are amazing. I'd love to see your Bells painting when it is finished!
MtnHub
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

I did this a few years ago in honor of prepping for an attempt on the Crestone Traverse. Unfortunately I never got that done, but I did finally hit the Needle this past summer. I love detailed work, but this one kind of got out of hand.
Attachments
8 Crestones.JPG
8 Crestones.JPG (213.7 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

That is impressive, MtnHub!
Based on this, I'd suggest ongoing efforts for you to get out of hand more often! :mrgreen:

I've really enjoyed this thread.
Great to see the creative juices are alive & well for so many.
I have a few charcoal botanical sketches...this thread may inspire me to get out of hand and start drawing again!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
MtnHub
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Thanks, sunny1. Yeah, let's see some of your botanical sketches!

Aaron, did you ever finish your painting of the Bells this semester?

Here's my latest piece. I've kind of gotten away from mountain scenes for awhile, although I guess this has some cliffs in it. I obviously love delicate, detailed work (should've become a surgeon :lol: ) This is a study on one of Thomas McKnight's works, the Italian Riviera.
Attachments
18 Detail. Italian Riviera.JPG
18 Detail. Italian Riviera.JPG (289.1 KiB) Viewed 3446 times