Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountains that you Forgot that You had climbed

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Mountains that you Forgot that You had climbed

Postby d_baker » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:06 pm

The other thread (that I forgot to read much about nothing) made me think of this.
Have you forgotten mountains that you have climbed? I bet some of us have.
I never used to keep track of which peaks I have been on, until Bill implemented the 13er list some years back. Then I went through the memory banks (which is mostly depleted), I came up with the best check marks that I could remember.
In a report that my friend had written, she wrote about how Carson and I had gone on from Rito Alto to climb Eureka. I had kind of forgotten about that. I knew we did Herman Pk, but wasn't sure we had gone to Eureka.
And when we did Emma Burr, we had gone over Tincup Pk first to get there. I had kind of forgotten which other peak we had done that day until my friend had recently clarified that for me.

When I did the Halo route, I'm pretty sure we went over the top of every bump. But did I really summit 13,248'? I think so....?

Have you forgotten about any peaks? Silly question really, because how are you going to remember if you already forgot.

Re: Mountains that you Forgot that You had climbed

Postby jaymz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:40 pm

I usually forget I've climbed Sherman.

Postby tlongpine » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:28 pm

jaymz wrote:I usually forget I've climbed Sherman.

Similarly, I've tried to forget a few.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby sue personett » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:50 am

I wish I could forget Columbia.
Namaste
Sue

Postby painless4u2 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:20 pm

I wish I could forget Columbia.

And Bross.

No, wait. I wasn't supposed to have climbed that one. Nevermind.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:41 pm

I accidentally climbed an unnamed 12er above Cottonwood Pass west of BV when I first moved here. Taking that route back from Crested Butte as a "scenic route" we stopped at the pass to take pictures, thinking the view from the parking lot "lame" we went up the trail and ended up on the summit of PT 12580 to get better views of the Apostles. At that time I didn't know it was actually a ranked peak until a couple of years later when I was a member of LOJ and was looking at some quad maps and saw that there was a ranked 12er suspiciously close to the pass. Well I'll be darned, sure enough that was the bump we went up to get better pictures!

I don't think I have ever forgotten that I have climbed a peak though, I may occasionally not recognize a numbered peak when its a list format and not realize it was something I already climbed, but if I see it on a map I know I did it. I am more visual that way.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby 12ersRule » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:43 pm

No actual peaks that I forgot about, but on most of the 14ers and some other goals, I blew off peaks that were super close by and could've easily tagged.

Postby myfeetrock » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:28 pm

I can't remember how many times I climbed Sopris. I know it's at least 10 since 2008.

Postby Oman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:24 pm

A buddy and I have a long-running debate whether we summited Kat Carson in 1990. We were headed to Kit Carson via Bears Playground when we got socked in the clouds with visibility <30 feet. I ran out of gas (we had climbed SCL 14ers the prior two days) on the no-view summit of what I think was Kat, and he continued on to summit Kit. There was a bottle of gin that weekend too.

Postby rijaca » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:43 pm

I can't even remember what I've climbed last week.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby shredthegnar10 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:49 pm

Like half the Sawatch Range 14ers? Good thing I have my online peak list to remind me.
There's a fine line between being a badass and being a dumbass.

ACONCAGUA STYLE

Postby Marmot72 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:04 pm

The first time I climbed Crestone peak, I had not heard of this site and I was using Dawson's guide. I had one class three fourteener (Wetterhorn) under my belt (no class 4) and I "wisely" decided that soloing the north buttress was the next logical progression. I royally got lost on the traverse because I didn't descend far enough down the standard couloir. I joined this site a couple months later and in ensuing months I scanned reports, but no photos of the the buttress route matched my recollection. I had no photos from my trip because the cameras battery had died. As months turned to years, I concluded that I must have summited northeast Crestone in error or something. It wasn't until 2011 that I came across a journal entry from a couple days after my climb in which I described the climb, glimpsing down the NW couloir and signing the summit register. This was when I was preparing for a new attempt of the traverse, and I thought I still had Crestone Peak on my list to complete.

Next