Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

7 Mountains You Forgot to Climb

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: 7 Mountains You Forgot to Climb

Postby Scott P » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:42 pm

This article lost all credibility when it said "another fourteener that is often overlooked..." :lol:

Yes, all of these mountains on the list are popular and well known.

One is one of the 7 summits. One is a Colorado 14er. One is a California 14er. Another two are country highpoints. The remaining two are very well known too.

Crestone Peak is surely the least known mountain peak on the list, but it's still way up there in the popularity and well known category.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby 12ersRule » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:04 pm

bergsteigen wrote:'ll have to remember Mt Brandon, as the Dingle Peninsula was one of my favorite areas!

Definitely, it was a good one! Just checked out your international section of the site. You covered some ground in Ireland! We've been to a lot of the same places. I still haven't been out of the southwest of Ireland, focusing mostly in Cork.

Cool that you've been to Iceland! That is high on the places to see for me. Up there with Norway.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Scott P wrote:
This article lost all credibility when it said "another fourteener that is often overlooked..." :lol:

Yes, all of these mountains on the list are popular and well known.

One is one of the 7 summits. One is a Colorado 14er. One is a California 14er. Another two are country highpoints. The remaining two are very well known too.

Crestone Peak is surely the least known mountain peak on the list, but it's still way up there in the popularity and well known category.

You are missing an important detail. The title of the article isn't "7 unpopular and unknown mountains", it is "7-mountains-you-forgot-to-climb", which for 99% of the population is true.

Postby Scott P » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:19 pm

The title of the article isn't "7 unpopular and unknown mountains", it is "7-mountains-you-forgot-to-climb", which for 99% of the population is true.

If they are very popular and very well-known and we still haven't climbed them, it doesn't mean that it is because we "forgot to climb" them. For example, did you forget to climb Pyramid Peak?

It is a strange title for an article on well known and popular mountains.

I don't think the article is terrible, even if much of it is cut and pasted from other sources or riddled with mistakes, but "forgot to climb" does seem to imply that the mountains are somehow little known. Otherwise, what else does it imply?
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby painless4u2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:24 pm

82% of 14ers.com members haven't climbed Crestone yet. I doubt they have forgotten about it, but are probably waiting to achieve the experience in climbing other mountains before attempting a more difficult peak.

Culebra would seem a more fitting "forgotten" 14er, along with San Luis perhaps.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Scott P wrote:
The title of the article isn't "7 unpopular and unknown mountains", it is "7-mountains-you-forgot-to-climb", which for 99% of the population is true.

If they are very popular and very well-known and we still haven't climbed them, it doesn't mean that it is because we "forgot to climb" them. For example, did you forget to climb Pyramid Peak?

It is a strange title for an article on well known and popular mountains.

Actually it is because we forgot to do so, there's simply no other excuse.

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:29 pm

12ersRule wrote:Definitely, it was a good one! Just checked out your international section of the site. You covered some ground in Ireland! We've been to a lot of the same places. I still haven't been out of the southwest of Ireland, focusing mostly in Cork.

Cool that you've been to Iceland! That is high on the places to see for me. Up there with Norway.

Drove all over the western part of Ireland. Quite interesting with a stick, on the wrong side! Didn't enjoy Dublin as much as I thought I would. We could have flown in and out of Shannon and been perfectly happy. So much to see and do on the western/rural side. Need to add photos from Germany and Austria, but that's another huge scanning project!

Iceland was great too. Can't believe I got paid to go there for a conference/education workshop! Most of the mountains/volcanoes could erupt at anytime, so there's no forgetting there... Scary just walking in some of the craters with "recent" flows, hearing the stories of how scientists just barely escaped because of their snow machines nearby.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby tlongpine » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:48 pm

GeezerClimber wrote:I think Crestone Peak is overlooked by out of staters. If they climb in the area at all, they almost always choose the Needle. I prefer the peak to the needle myself so I do think it is a great recommendation. The author also did his readers a service by telling them it is difficult and accidents are not uncommon. In other words, don't expect an Elbert type experience. Words are limited in this type of article, so elaboration is not to be expected. I do think (like Gerry Roach) that the peak is actually tougher than the Needle, but I know I'm in a minority on that ranking.

Dave

I keep forgetting to climb Humboldt. Everytime I've been into the SCL basin I get distracted by the Needle or Peak.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Gareth » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:06 pm

tlongpine wrote:I keep forgetting to climb Humboldt. Everytime I've been into the SCL basin I get distracted by the Needle or Peak.
Humboldt makes for a great place to view the Crestones in the dawn light....so it does fill a purpose. :wink:
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby tlongpine » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Gareth wrote:
tlongpine wrote:I keep forgetting to climb Humboldt. Everytime I've been into the SCL basin I get distracted by the Needle or Peak.
Humboldt makes for a great place to view the Crestones in the dawn light....so it does fill a purpose. :wink:

This is a fair point.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby spadflyer12 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Vincopotamus wrote:
At 14,294 feet (4,357 meters), Crestone is the seventh-highest peak in Colorado and is surrounded by similarly lofty peaks of the Sangre de Cristo Range. It's one of the most dangerous and difficult climbs in Colorado and accidents are frequent, usually due to falls or lightning strikes.

Oh really? Lightning strikes?

My two buddies and I were almost struck by lightning on "The Prow" route of Kit Carson. We were 3/4 up the route when we had to hunker down due to high winds, snow, and lightning. My buddy stood up to take his shoes off at which point he became the tallest, most conductive thing around. All of our hair stood on end and our metal gear started buzzing. This happened again 30min later when we tried to get going again. We had to sit there on a 5x5 super exposed ledge of rock until I felt like testing the "waters" again. That 2hr delay meant we didn't get down to 13k until after dark, and in the fog and darkenss we kept getting cliffed out. In the end we spent a very cold, very wet night under a rock on the side of that damn mountain. Full Story

Postby Vincopotamus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:59 pm

spadflyer12 wrote:
Vincopotamus wrote:
At 14,294 feet (4,357 meters), Crestone is the seventh-highest peak in Colorado and is surrounded by similarly lofty peaks of the Sangre de Cristo Range. It's one of the most dangerous and difficult climbs in Colorado and accidents are frequent, usually due to falls or lightning strikes.

Oh really? Lightning strikes?

My two buddies and I were almost struck by lightning on "The Prow" route of Kit Carson. We were 3/4 up the route when we had to hunker down due to high winds, snow, and lightning. My buddy stood up to take his shoes off at which point he became the tallest, most conductive thing around. All of our hair stood on end and our metal gear started buzzing. This happened again 30min later when we tried to get going again. We had to sit there on a 5x5 super exposed ledge of rock until I felt like testing the "waters" again. That 2hr delay meant we didn't get down to 13k until after dark, and in the fog and darkenss we kept getting cliffed out. In the end we spent a very cold, very wet night under a rock on the side of that damn mountain. Full Story

I agree that storms and lightning can cause problems and indirectly lead to people getting in bad situations. The way the article is written though, it leads most folks to believe that getting struck by lightning is a frequent cause of accidents. In reality, the chance of getting struck by lightning is real, but very remote. I'm guessing the author did some college-freshman-esque research and found that fact on wikipedia's Crestone Peak page.
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

PreviousNext