Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

7 Mountains You Forgot to Climb

Items that do not fit the categories above.

7 Mountains You Forgot to Climb

Postby passionforhiking » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:21 pm

A friend sent me the following link. One of the mountains is a CO 14er.

Enjoy.

http://news.discovery.com/adventure/travel/7-mountains-you-forgot-to-climb-130722.htm

Re: 7 Mountains You Forgot to Climb

Postby Vincopotamus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:33 pm

At 14,294 feet (4,357 meters), Crestone is the seventh-highest peak in Colorado and is surrounded by similarly lofty peaks of the Sangre de Cristo Range. It's one of the most dangerous and difficult climbs in Colorado and accidents are frequent, usually due to falls or lightning strikes.

Oh really? Lightning strikes?
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Postby painless4u2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:04 pm

So who's forgetting Crestone Peak, fer cryin' out loud? That's one of my favorites!
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

Postby clemsonmtneer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:43 pm

This article lost all credibility when it said "another fourteener that is often overlooked..." :lol:

Postby Tory Wells » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:40 pm

A good list and all mountains I would like to climb or hike.

I would submit Mt Meeker as a better choice for Colorado than Crestone Pk.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Mtn Geek » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:21 am

Telescope Peak in California is not especially high, at 11,331 feet (3,545 meters), but it just happens to overlook the lowest place on Earth...

The lowest place on earth? A little research helps with credibility.

This was not a very well written article and I found it boring, and as others have pointed out, has it's mistakes.
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:53 am

painless4u2 wrote:So who's forgetting Crestone Peak, fer cryin' out loud? That's one of my favorites!

Clearly he's referring to Crestone Mountain.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby DrewR » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:55 am

Overlooked? Only by those who do not climb Colorado's peaks. Difficult? Sure. One of the most dangerous? Hardly! It doesn't even compare to the likes of Pyramid, The Bells, Capitol, Mt. Eolus, and others.

One does not need to be experienced; just clear on ones abilities, willing to turn back when appropriate (weather, health, etc.), and have good equipment.

Postby GeezerClimber » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:27 am

I think Crestone Peak is overlooked by out of staters. If they climb in the area at all, they almost always choose the Needle. I prefer the peak to the needle myself so I do think it is a great recommendation. The author also did his readers a service by telling them it is difficult and accidents are not uncommon. In other words, don't expect an Elbert type experience. Words are limited in this type of article, so elaboration is not to be expected. I do think (like Gerry Roach) that the peak is actually tougher than the Needle, but I know I'm in a minority on that ranking.

Dave

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:11 pm

I love Crestone Peak, here's a sweet picture from just below the summit.

Postby 12ersRule » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Happy and surprised to see Ireland's Carrauntoohil on this list. It was a fun and easy 1/2 day hike. Mt Brandon, another 3er, that is right up against the ocean on the Dingle Peninsula is an even better hike. It is rare that the peak isn't enshrouded in fog, I was fortunate enough to enjoy amazing views for about a half hour before fog rolled in. Pretty amazing place!

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:28 pm

12ersRule wrote:Happy and surprised to see Ireland's Carrauntoohil on this list. It was a fun and easy 1/2 day hike. Mt Brandon, another 3er, that is right up against the ocean on the Dingle Peninsula is an even better hike. It is rare that the peak isn't enshrouded in fog, I was fortunate enough to enjoy amazing views for about a half hour before fog rolled in. Pretty amazing place!

Mt Carrauntoohil was my one objective when I went to Ireland with friends a while back. Glad I had reasonably clear weather for the hike. Too bad my camera batteries died on the way up. Had to borrow the special batteries from some New Zealand tourists who happened to show up on the summit. If I ever go back, I'll have to remember Mt Brandon, as the Dingle Peninsula was one of my favorite areas!

So I haven't forgotten about 2/7 of these Mountains. :lol:
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Next