Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sand Dunes

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Sand Dunes

Postby Char7311 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Anyone have a recommendation for a hot springs near the Sand Dunes and/or a favorite climbing spot near there? Preferably sport, 5.8-11, thanks!

Re: Sand Dunes

Postby scottfarish » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:58 pm

The Hooper hot springs (now called The Sand Dunes Pool) are supposed to be really nice: http://www.sanddunespool.com/. The best sport climbing in the San Luis Valley is across the west side of the valley at Penitente Canyon. It's about an hour west of the Sand Dunes, but totally worth the drive. The climbing there is phenomenal.

Postby ClimbStewart » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:37 am

Susan Joy Paul's book "Touring Colorado Hot Springs" http://www.amazon.com/Touring-Colorado-Hot-Springs-2nd/dp/0762778059 has lots of hot springs in the San Luis Valley near the Great Sand Dunes. One of the coolest is the Alligator Farm...can't swim there but there are gators in the hot pools! Ditto for Penitente Canyon for climbing. There is also a new sport area on cliffs north of the highway between San Luis and Manassa in the south part of the Valley. Fun times!

Postby tlongpine » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:58 am

http://www.soak.net

It's not sport, but the Crestones arguably offer some of the best conglomerate climbing in the world.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby ezabielski » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:11 am

Char7311 wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for a hot springs near the Sand Dunes and/or a favorite climbing spot near there? Preferably sport, 5.8-11, thanks!

Look into Valley View Hotsprings. It's on the way back from the Sand Dunes area.

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:45 am

Good suggestions here already...

I love the snack bar at the Sand Dunes Pool, plus the three hot springs pools (outdoor Olympic-size, and indoor kiddie and therapy pools) are very nice and clean. They have a diving board and campsites, and it's not far from the sand dunes.

The Colorado Gator Farm is cool, but like Stewart mentioned, you can't actually soak there. Kids love that place...

Valley View is really nice, with lots of hot ponds and pools, saunas, cabins and camping. Clothing is optional. Everyone was naked when I visited. One of the best, if that's your thing. Leave the camera at home.

Another option is Joyful Journey, which has nice outdoor soaking pools with views of the Sangres, plus teepees and yurts to rent, and a motel onsite.

Further north are a couple of other clothing-optional places, and as Stewart noted, they're all detailed in the book.

I haven't climbed south of Canon City (Shelf Road) so I can't help you with that...

Postby Char7311 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:17 pm

thanks!

Postby uwe » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:40 am

Sounds like a November Full Beaver Moon event to me (Weekend of Nov 16/17).

Postby Monte Meals » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Just curious, is a "Full Beaver Moon" more like an:

1) Open Taco Moon or a

2) Delicious Cream Puff Moon

Inquiring minds want to know.

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:09 am

Sheesh... you guys! It's "clothing optional," not Caligula. You may want to educate yourselves on the naturist lifestyle before you visit these places. They're for folks who just want to soak naked - sans suits, or "costumes." Inappropriate language, behavior, and attitudes are not welcome, or tolerated. This is a very laid back, socially mature culture. Think about it: Most of us feel weird getting naked in front of our own doctors. You have to be pretty damn secure to strip down in front of a bunch of strangers. There's a couple of paragraphs in my book about it.

Mountaineers in particular should be able to appreciate this. We've already abandoned many of the societal expectations of what we're "supposed to look like" or "supposed to act like," especially while in the company of others. I'm sure many people think I'm nuts for climbing peaks every weekend, sharing hotel rooms and sleeping in tents with guys I'm not "sleeping with," or for going for days without clean clothes, a shower, and make-up. This is not that much different. There's nothing sexual or sordid about it. It's a lifestyle choice, and it makes them happy. I'm all for that.

Postby Dex » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:42 am

susanjoypaul wrote:Sheesh... you guys! It's "clothing optional," not Caligula. You may want to educate yourselves on the naturist lifestyle before you visit these places. They're for folks who just want to soak naked - sans suits, or "costumes." Inappropriate language, behavior, and attitudes are not welcome, or tolerated. This is a very laid back, socially mature culture. Think about it: Most of us feel weird getting naked in front of our own doctors. You have to be pretty damn secure to strip down in front of a bunch of strangers. There's a couple of paragraphs in my book about it.

Mountaineers in particular should be able to appreciate this. We've already abandoned many of the societal expectations of what we're "supposed to look like" or "supposed to act like," especially while in the company of others. I'm sure many people think I'm nuts for climbing peaks every weekend, sharing hotel rooms and sleeping in tents with guys I'm not "sleeping with," or for going for days without clean clothes, a shower, and make-up. This is not that much different. There's nothing sexual or sordid about it. It's a lifestyle choice, and it makes them happy. I'm all for that.

I met a guy with a camper who was going around the country visiting all the hot springs.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Springs-Pools-Southwest-Original/dp/1890880078
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz