Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How did your passion for the mountains begin?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: How did your passion for the mountains begin?

Postby Randy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:58 am

When I was twelve yrs old, my mom sent me on a 7 day trek in the Whites Mtns of NH. It was led by an ex Green Beret. We slept in hammocks, climbed peaks everyday, bushwacked, and ate many plants we found along the way. I was hooked from then on. On every camping trip with the family after that, they would drive me to trailheads, drop me off and pick me up at the end of the day.

Re: How did your passion for the mountains begin?

Postby mount_quandary » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:57 pm

In 1979 my friend and I signed up for COLS (Christian Outdoor Leadership School. We met up with 23 teenagers from all over the U.S. From Denver we were bus bound to Camp 1 which was in the Texas Creek area in the Sangre's. we met up with our councelers and for 3 weeks we rock climbed, ran 10 miles, obstacle courses, slept under the stars...climbed Spread Eagle, hiked Lake of the clouds and learned more about life in those 3 weeks which shaped my life forever. My live for the mountains began then...but has continued and passed on to our children and has seen my husband and I continue to come back to hike up other 14ners...we celebrated our 30th this past August by summiting Mt. Belford. I owe my beginnings to COLS. if anyone knows of this organization I would love to hear from you:-)

Previous