Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How did your passion for the mountains begin?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: How did your passion for the mountains begin?

Postby boudreaux » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:22 am

SurfNTurf wrote:I was at a frat party and thought to myself, "Bro, this would be tight in a Wilderness area."

Which frat was that, what were you drinking, and this could be heaven or hell!
Ragin Cajun

Postby pudgy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 am

Vacationed in the Rockies for years but was always doing the 'tourist thing'..in 2006 decided to quit looking and start hiking.....did Bierstadt and was hooked...this past summer was the first I've missed hiking a 14er since then...will make up for it with a hike up Quandary the week of November 11th...snow willing!!

Postby mtgirl » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:55 am

crestone14ers wrote: I grew up just east of Callicoon, NY... in White Lake, Town of Bethel, Sullivan County... three miles from the Original Woodstock Festival.

Used to ride my motorcycle down to Port Jervis through Narrowsburg and Lackawaxan... Roebling Bridge. .. along Rt 97 next to the Delaware. Would take my VW north on 97 to Hancock and Deposit and take Route 17 north to Binghamton where I went to Harpur College, SUNY Binghamton.

Of course I would fish the Delaware, Neversink and all the Catskill rivers, flowing clear and cold.

GREAT MEMORIES!

WOW, small world. I know Sullivan County well. I actually moved from Glen Spey, NY to Colorado.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Lemmiwinks » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:12 am

I grew up in Kansas City but spent every summer from age 9-16 at Cheley Colorado Camps in Estes Park. I spent most of those summers hiking and backpacking, and I ended up learning RMNP like the back of my hand. Every school year I would look forward to my annual trip to the mountains and knew this is where I wanted to live after graduating college.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:39 am

I was born at the bottom of a meteor crater in Kentucky. (google Middlesborough) and that made for mountains in any direction you looked. I did a trip between graduating from professional school and starting work to Colorado that included camping, hiking and fishing and for the next twenty years lived in central KY (it is as flat as Eastern Colorado). During a visit with a friend from first grade who lived in Denver we covered most of the state, hiking lots of trails (he is a 14er finisher), so I brought my wife out to summit county the next year for a conference, we jeeped around, hiked around and while standing on the continental divide one day she pointed to a mountain peak (Gray's) and said, "When are we going to climb one of those?" That was 1993 and we've climbed at least one 14er a year since then and plan to finish someday. My family cemetary is on a mountainside in Eastern Kentucky, so I guess I will always be in the mountains in one form or another.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Willifitz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:40 am

[crestone14ers wrote:
I grew up just east of Callicoon, NY... in White Lake, Town of Bethel, Sullivan County... three miles from the Original Woodstock Festival.

Used to ride my motorcycle down to Port Jervis through Narrowsburg and Lackawaxan... Roebling Bridge. .. along Rt 97 next to the Delaware. Would take my VW north on 97 to Hancock and Deposit and take Route 17 north to Binghamton where I went to Harpur College, SUNY Binghamton.

Of course I would fish the Delaware, Neversink and all the Catskill rivers, flowing clear and cold.

GREAT MEMORIES!

While growing up closer to NYC, we spent our summers on Coxton Lake in Starucca & Thompson PA. About 14 miles south of Hancock & Deposit. We would camp a bit and hike through the hills, but I never really cought the bug, we were lake people. Fishing on the Delaware one day, an Eagle flew by and took the fish right off my line.
We also would ski at nearby Elk Mtn. It wasn't till I moved from Houston to Denver that things began to change. My wife and I went to REI with a Friends n Family discount and loaded up on everything we would need for a 2 week trip to Lake Powel, Moab and various stops along I70. Then Denver got too urban so we moved to Evergreen and up to 8K Ft and then you couldn't keep me out of the mountains. Now in the SF Bay area, still hiking and many trips to the Sierra year round in addition to summer trips back to CO.

Postby mkrier » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:22 pm

First 20 years of my life I lived in incredibly-flat Oklahoma. Just seeing the mountains did it for me. Also, early mornings up in the mountains are hard to beat!

Postby amanda+14er » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:37 pm

My passion for mountain climbing began when my dad asked if I wanted to climb a fourteener with him once school was out. I started looking into it and found 14ers.com which began my passion for the Rockies.

Postby Dan Wiedrich » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm orginally from Illinois. I don't recall a time in my life when I wasn't into the mountains. As a kid we generally drove to Nebraska to visit relatives and then on to parts west. My first specific memory of being in the mountains when I was five, 1967. My Dad, brothers and I hiked to the top of Mt. Evans from the summit parking lot. According to my Dad I just went straight up, ignoring the trail. I just remember being really into climbing on the rocks. etc.

Postby passionforhiking » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:39 pm

I came to the US in 1986 via Canada and prior to that, Germany. I was never a nature lover and hardly ever hiked. I never had a vision of the mountains except as my imagination was stirred reading books on Everest, K? and Annapurna. Then my daughter moved to Colorado in 2004 while I was in Illinois. This was when the passion began to be lit for the mountains.During visits over the next few years, I was stunned and mesmerized by the majestic beauty of the mountains cresting up so high from an already high state. So I left Illinois and moved to Colorado in 2010 to be closer to my daughter and grandkids and to take part in the thrill and challenge of putting my body though some agony for the visual ecstasy in the wilderness.

I came alive to the mountains for the 1st time in my life. I had never heard of 14k foot peaks in Colorado before. Once I learned of their existence, I began in my 1st year to start building my stamina from 9000' hills to my first few 14ers that year. Their was a burning passion within me to do as many as God would allow me since I was 62 at the time. Excitement ran through me as I planned my hikes using the websie, books and maps. Then I had to leave CO for Florida in 2012. I would spend hours looking at the pics of my hikes week after week. Then I came back for the summer of 2013 and hiked some more. I had some of the greatest experience of my life in the mountains. I feel blessed to have lived there and walked the trails that 1000's have walked to the unimaginable sites from 14000'.

Postby paul109876 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:26 am

I grew up in Franklin In. and have lived here my entire life. I was lucky enough to be working for Automotive Glass Company that wanted to do some Managerial team building.
They flew us all to Co. for a week and we spent the time at the Outward Bound Camp just outside Leadville working on teambuilding skills and acclimating.
The goal was to get as many of us to the top of Elbert as possible.
We started our hikes in 2 groups and got 10 out of 12 people to the Summit. The 2 that did not make it were suffering from the altitude. But those 2 also quit the company not long after we got back.

Anyway, I loved being in the snow the 2nd week of July, being above tree line where you could see as far as your eye would let you. Feeling as though you were physically and spiritually closer to a higher being.
I always wanted to go back and show the area to my wife.
10 years later I did. And every since we have been heading back west 2-3 times each year. Hiking mountains, canyons, deserts.

A perfect ending to this story would be for us to move.

I've been lucky enough to realize that all of the material items in life, house, cars, fancy do dads are not what's important. It's the things you do to help others and the experiences that you have had in your life that are important and those are the things you get to take to the grave with you. Those are the things you will remember in those last few moments.

That's what Co. did for me.
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby HikerCurt » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:34 am

Years ago my Uncle moved to Boulder and I visited him with family members as a boy and really liked the mountains. In second grade I wrote about my visit to CO and wrote I would have a Jeep and live in the mountains someday. Being from Michigan that seemed a stretch to my teacher. Fast forward 30 years after starting work and a family I was wondering through life after a family tragedy when a coworker gave me Into Thin Air to read. After reading I thought to myself I'm climbing a mountain in CO my next visit and like many others I started in RMNP. I loved it and return to CO annually and have climbed in Maine, Texas, New Hampshire, GSMNP, Tetons, Alaska, CA but I still feel most at home in CO. I looked into transferring with the company I worked for but the only option was TX until I discovered a small operation in CA so we moved here this summer to be nearer to mountains and ocean. Great area north of San Fran that works for now until retirement in CO. The 14ers very positively changed my life!!!!

PreviousNext