Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support Thank you!

Other ways to help...

How did your passion for the mountains begin?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: How did your passion for the mountains begin?

Postby bking14ers » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:09 pm

Mens Health magazine got me started. To a point... One of the articles in it was named "10 things every man should do before he dies". I think it was #3 on the list was to climb Longs Peak. I had know idea where Longs Peak was, but I always remembered that article. By pure chance in 2007 I took a class on waste water treatment in Estes Park. I found out real soon what that big flat topped mountain was named. I asked some people in class if anyone has climbed it before and two people had. I said I'm coming back next year and climb it, and I did. That was sixteen 14ers ago.

Postby thedudeabides » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:18 pm

I grew up in the Springs, so the mountains have always been around. But it wasn't until I left for college in Missouri that I realized how great the mountains are. Quickly jumped on the three year plan, and after graduation in May I'll be back for good.
“It's hard and it's dangerous, but it's really simple. You have this mountain, and you just want to go up there.”

-Ueli Steck

Postby barbiesue53 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:42 pm

Moved to the mtns in my mid 20's, got married, had my 4 wonderful kids while living in Glen Haven. I believe kids need to have fresh air every day, so we walked and walked and walked. But then somehow when kids turned to teens the hiking slowed down. We moved away from the mtns, but my husband and I's desire to restart finding new trails grew again. RMNP has been our favorite, but this summer we were introduced to the Collegiates!! Wow....look forward to new great hikes.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:45 pm

I looked up. Born and raised in CO b*tches!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby snowypeaks » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Along with a generation of others, I was inspired by this (1963 National Geographic) when I was 8 years old and living in the midwest. I was Colorado bound as soon as I as graduated from school.

1963-Everest-JWhittaker-680x541.jpg (61.95 KiB) Viewed 424 times

Postby Sterl » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:03 pm

I still recall the first time I ever saw the Rockies. I must have been 7 or 8 and my family had driven out to Colorado Springs where my dad had an automotive technician class he was attending. We pulled into some motel way past dark and when I woke up and went outside there they were. We were a ways out of town and in the distance I saw them. At first the snow capped peaks looked like the clouds I was used to seeing everyday back in Tulsa, but at a closer glance they were mountains! I was in awe and I can still to this day picture it and remember the feeling that came over me. Never could I have imagined something like this existed... Truly awestruck. By the time I was in high school a life-style started to emerge and Colorado seemed to fit much better than my home state and so began the numerous visits of exploration. I must have visited here in summer/winter twenty-something different times and each one always memorable and always refreshing. Years passed along with all that comes in life and I decided a move was long passed due. We said good-bye to our family and friends, changed jobs and as of last November we now call Colorado our home. We are loving every minute of it. I truly hope my son gets to enjoy these wonderful mountains and all that they afford for a long time to come...
"Climbing on a mountain, floating out on the sea
Far from lights of a city, the elements they speak to me..."
1/2 Full - Pearl Jam

Postby bguindon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:52 pm

I was flying to my first Air Force Base in Cheyenne, Wyoming and we had to fly into denver to change planes. Seeing the rows of snow capped mountains for the first time was unbelieveable and when i had a chance 10 years later to be stationed in colorado, I did!!!!! Been here ever since. :-D

Postby DaleP » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:07 pm

I remember it well, I was eight years old when my parents took us to Mt. Katahdin. My two older brothers, my father and I were hiking up Saddle Trail when my middle brother, who had been looking back at where we had been suddenly wrapped his arms around a rock and wouldn't let go. No amount of coaxing would get him to go even one step further. I must say that I learned compassion for mankind that day. Just looking in my oldest brothers eyes and seeing the disappointment of not reaching the summit was more than I could bare. So I begged my father to leave my other brother clinging to the rock while the rest of us continued on, but alas it was only to be for a short while. We reached the saddle in about five minutes while my brother was still in view, clinging to that rock. Then I said," Dad look how close the summit is" which was still a mile away and then " It won't take us long and he will be ok, he's got a good grip on that rock". Needless to say, my dad didn't go for that. So we pried him off that rock and descended, much to my anguish . I have never let my brother forget about that day forty-eight years ago. Luckily, I was always able to run faster than him.

Postby aliciaf » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:20 pm

Grew up in upstate NY as well (buffalo/rochester). Never really liked the outdoors... dreaded girl scout camp when I was little. Moved to Albany after college and hiked two 46ers, hated every minute of it while doing it but felt proud after all was said and done.

Visited CO with my new boyfriend and his family for a ski trip. Fell in love with Colorado so we moved here. Inspired by the mountains, I suggested a summit hike of some sort two weeks after moving in. Googled brought me to Grays Peak and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. An 11am start in July proved (surprisingly) successful and I've been hooked ever since.

Postby crestone14ers » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:27 pm

mtgirl wrote:
12ersRule wrote:Hey, Upstate NYers? Where in Upstate NY? I grew up in Poughkeepsie, NY for the most part.

Small world......I grew up nearby in Port Jervis, NY......right on the Delaware River. While not way up north, we always called it "upstate" just so folks didn't think we were from the big city. :) When people hear I'm from NY, most assume all of NY is like NYC, which couldn't be farther from the truth. As you know, most of NY is remote and beautiful.

I grew up just east of Callicoon, NY... in White Lake, Town of Bethel, Sullivan County... three miles from the Original Woodstock Festival.

Used to ride my motorcycle down to Port Jervis through Narrowsburg and Lackawaxan... Roebling Bridge. .. along Rt 97 next to the Delaware. Would take my VW north on 97 to Hancock and Deposit and take Route 17 north to Binghamton where I went to Harpur College, SUNY Binghamton.

Of course I would fish the Delaware, Neversink and all the Catskill rivers, flowing clear and cold.

“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai

Postby gb » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:28 pm

It must have been at least a little innate for me. My dad dropped me off at ski school when I was 3, promising me that we could take a run afterwards. It ended up being a big storm, though, so my dad figured I was done. He came back to ski school to find me outside, on the deck, in the storm, waiting to take that run. The other kids were all inside.

It went up another notch when we moved from Littleton to Genesee (foothills W of Golden) when I was in the 5th grade. It wasn't like I could walk to the 7-11 for entertainment, so I biked on the trails and climbed the rocks and explored the woods. Growing up there, I had no choice but to step it up a notch and move to Crested Butte after college.

Postby Kent McLemore » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:46 am

As a young lad on a family vacation, we stayed at Paradise Lodge at the foot of Mt. Ranier. After several days of fog-shrouded, zero visibility weather, my siblings and I took a hike up into the mist. Then the clouds parted...
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir