Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Article: Mountain Climbing for the Over 50 Set- WSJ

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Article: Mountain Climbing for the Over 50 Set- WSJ

Postby Scott P » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:30 am

Not to be an Age Prude, but I wonder what percentage of you youngn's have come even close to climbing the number and quality of peaks, canyons, you name it that I have SINCE I turned 50.

Although it would be interesting to find out, such a poll would be subjective because people would have a different opinion on what makes a quality peak, etc. Still, it could be interesting to find out as long as it didn't turn into a bragging session.

I do canyoneer with someone who is in their 70's and still gets about hundreds of days a year. Kind of a controversial character and I don't always agree with him on ethics, etc., but still consider him a friend (I knew him before the controversies). Few people of any age do what he does in his 70's.

Last edited by Scott P on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:43 am

Again, good grief.

There is NO ageism in this thread.

There is NO anti-guide attitude in this thread.

However, there is a whole ton of failure at reading comprehension and even more unnecessarily twisted panties.

A few nuggets of wisdom to take away here.

1. Don't ever take seriously anything that Schralp the Gnar posts, if you do, expect a life full of frustration and confusion. He's a smartass (although quite humorous).
2. Every a**hole has an opinion, or is it that every opinion has an a**hole, I can never keep my idioms straight
3. People whom have used guides are very defensive of their decision to have done so
4. People whom don't use guides seem to be supportive of those who do, but feel righteous in their having not needed them
5. Mountaineering is a sub-culture than many look at as a religion, thus opinions can often be expressed and defended vehemently
6. Measuring and comparing wang-sizes on the internet is a waste of time
7. Power hungry, type-A asshats seem to have a substantial amount of moral support here at 14ers. A renaming of the website may be needed.

Here's a really cute kitten.

"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Scott P » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:50 am

7. Power hungry, type-A asshats seem to have a substantial amount of moral support here at 14ers. A renaming of the website may be needed.

Actually, 14ers.com is realitively and refreshingly free of such bickerings. Most of the disagreements in threads are actually pretty minor.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby 12ersRule » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:51 am

Dave B wrote:There is NO ageism in this thread.

There is NO anti-guide attitude in this thread.

You're just stoking the fire by posting more words that will be misinterpreted.

Postby Dex » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:56 am

Dave B wrote:
6. Measuring and comparing wang-sizes on the internet is a waste of time

I had a wang once - good times ...
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Tortoise1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:15 am

Dave B wrote:Here's a really cute kitten.

Is that kitten dead? Paws up so to speak. The background looks like that stuff they put in caskets. None of my business I suppose.

Postby smoove » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:37 am

climbing_rob wrote:Not to be an Age Prude, but I wonder what percentage of you youngn's have come even close to climbing the number and quality of peaks, canyons, you name it that I have SINCE I turned 50. What a bunch of age snobs. Grow up. Wait, you will, we hope at least (meaning I sincerely wish you long, safe lives filled with adventure, like mine is).

Woops, forgot to mention, all but a couple climbs were unguided, of course, plus my well-over-50 wife was along on almost all of them.

Hey Bob. Well I've only done one hike/climb with you and your wife (and a couple folks older than you two that day)--and it was a workout keeping pace with all of you! This 39 year old "youngn" was impressed.

That said, I think most of the people in this thread are just being smartasses. I got no problem with that.

Mike

Postby valleygirl » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:03 pm

I know everyone has had their say on this subject, but I just got back from a guided climb of Rainier, at 54 years of age, so I took the subject kind of personal! With a husband, kids, a full-time job, no climbing friends that were interested in it, and frankly not a whole lot of years left to sit and think about it, a guide was the wisest and safest choice for me. Really the only choice. I suspect that those guides were happy to have the client, rather than sitting at a desk job like me, and they did their job perfectly. And I took every step on my own - no one '''dragged" me up there. Walking across the crater at the summit was one of the very best moments of my life, and I sure don't feel like I should have just passed on it because some people think that I somehow "cheated" by using a guide. \:D/
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Postby uwe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Congratulations Valleygirl!
What route?

Postby Buckeye-Annie » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:46 pm

In 1965, the year I graduated from high school, I went with Uncle Bruce and Aunt Virginia on their family camping trip to Teton National Park. From Jackson Lake, I looked up at the Grand, wondering what it would be like to climb it and wondering what the view would be like from on top.

Last year I returned to the Tetons and with Josh, my Exum Guide, reached the summit and got the answers to my questions. The climb up was thrilling and so fun! It was a perfect sunny day and the view was absolutely spectacular! Looking down on Jackson Lake where I had gazed upward 47 years ago was one of the most fulfilling days of my lifetime! And to make it even better? Uncle Bruce and Aunt Virginia, now 88 and 94 were waiting down at the trailhead later that day, eager for me to share my adventure with them.

Young, old, whatever, it's all good. Have fun, stay fit, go out there, go up there and enjoy! \:D/
The measure of a person's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.
http://www.AnnieUpHigh.com
Life as a Wild Child

Postby valleygirl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Congratulations Valleygirl!
What route?

We went up Disappointment Cleaver

Way to go, Buckeye Annie!!!
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Postby xpda » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:56 pm

valleygirl wrote:I just got back from a guided climb of Rainier, at 54 years of age

Nice! I climbed Rainier when I was 50, and finished the 58 14ers this year at 57 (no guides). But it is crazy not to use a guide if you need to, think you need to, or if it will make it more fun. Guided climbs are just another facet of mountaineering, and in many cases can expand your range of feasible or enjoyable climbs.

PreviousNext