Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Route Finding Exercises

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Route Finding Exercises

Postby dehrlich101 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:56 am

Winter is around the corner it's always a good idea to practice route finding so you don't get in a bad slide area. Found this site this morning, can anyone finish them all without crossing a slide path?

http://www.avalanche.net.nz/education/Online-Avalanche-Course/Route-Finding-Exercises.asp
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Re: Route Finding Exercises

Postby CarpeDM » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:21 am

That was pretty cool! I made a couple of mistakes, but for the most part I had a pretty good idea of where to go. But sometimes I couldn't get the mouse to thread the needle between a couple of red zones.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

Postby ChicagoMike » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:09 am

Very cool

Postby colokeith » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:57 am

Hey that was a cool site. My main issue was also mouse accuracy in some of those tight spots
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby TakeMeToYourSummit » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:00 am

CarpeDM wrote:I couldn't get the mouse to thread the needle between a couple of red zones.
Same - operator error got me a few times. No do-overs in real life though... :dead
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!

Postby Dex » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:05 am

ChicagoMike wrote:Very cool

+1
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby skiwall » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:27 am

Very cool! I want more! :-D
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby GregMiller » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:33 am

CarpeDM wrote:But sometimes I couldn't get the mouse to thread the needle between a couple of red zones.

Had the same problem a couple times, but it helps to remind you that it does take threading the needle sometimes. Got the first two, and then took a lot of tries on the last two :oops:
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:55 am

I guess I don't have the fine motor skills or eye-hand coordination required for safe winter travel. #-o
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby rickinco123 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:05 am

Honestly, I don't see anything safe for me in picture 2 at my risk tolerance level. Unless the reports showed a very stable snow pack. The path I ended up successfully drawing seems very sketchy. I also don't feel there is enough information about the slope angle, even the shading in the photos is hard for me to discern slopes. They also cropped some potentially key feature on the right side of the photo.

Still kind of cool.

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:35 am

That is really cool! I found the second one to be the hardest, not sure why. You really have to "thread it" in the third picture. Thank you for posting! These puzzles seem really useful.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby crestone14ers » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 am

I wouldn't go near Peak #2 given the conditions.

The others I got to the summit safely.

Next