Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

For the Mount Whitney permit system haters ...

Items that do not fit the categories above.

For the Mount Whitney permit system haters ...

Postby rider » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:14 pm

I found this web page today by accident, and I'd thought that I'd post it, since the main page is pretty funny.

http://www.scaruffi.com/travel/whitper.html

Re: For the Mount Whitney permit system haters ...

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:50 am

Wow. I hope Colorado never gets like that.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby sheller » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:29 am

Half Dome in Yosemite requires permits now, too. It's easier to get free tuition than it is to climb a mountain in CA. I'm so glad I left, just wish I would have left that state sooner. :)

Postby peter303 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:38 am

Wish I lived in CO wrote:Wow. I hope Colorado never gets like that.

Culbera and Mt Bross. Mt. Whitney, Half Dome.
I dont dinguish between the government and greedy landowners.

Postby djkest » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:41 am

Sounds really complicated! I'll have to figure out how to Navigate this beaurocratic system if I want to climb Whitney next year.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:19 am

peter303 wrote:
Wish I lived in CO wrote:Wow. I hope Colorado never gets like that.

Culbera and Mt Bross. Mt. Whitney, Half Dome.
I dont dinguish between the government and greedy landowners.

Well, Culebra costs more, but I think is at least much less complicated and less competitive.

Mt. Bross is not enforced, .... uh, not sayin' any more .....
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby ajkagy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:29 am

It's California...what did you expect? :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Scott P » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:36 am

This is a tough one. Even with the permit system, there are still up to 60 overnight hikers and 100 day hikers a day. Without the reservation system holiday weekends could attract thousands. Hundreds of people a night would likely do it as an overnighter if it were allowed.

The permit system is a real pain, but what would be the best solution?

If you want to avoid the reservation system you only need to climb off season or via a different route.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby uwe » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:05 am

Mt. Whitney's Mountaineers Route permit process is easy and straightforward.
They do 10 permits a day for up to 5 nights.
6 are given to folks who call in.
4 are held for walk-ups.
To secure 1 or all of the 6 you simply need to be one of the first callers of the day.
I had the number speed dialed and would start calling 30 seconds before and on the third try got in, first in line and took four permits.
The trick is to think 6 months out. Forget about calling a month out.
I wanted to climb during the full moon in August, so I timed my call-in to start 6 months to the day - a date that took me to February something. Be flexible in your days and you have a high probability of scoring a permit.
Well worth it too!
Think about Mt Russell and Mt. Carillon, too.
Great climbs, all.

Postby djkest » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:10 am

uwe wrote:Mt. Whitney's Mountaineers Route permit process is easy and straightforward.
They do 10 permits a day for up to 5 nights.
6 are given to folks who call in.
4 are held for walk-ups.
To secure 1 or all of the 6 you simply need to be one of the first callers of the day.
I had the number speed dialed and would start calling 30 seconds before and on the third try got in, first in line and took four permits.
The trick is to think 6 months out. Forget about calling a month out.
I wanted to climb during the full moon in August, so I timed my call-in to start 6 months to the day - a date that took me to February something. Be flexible in your days and you have a high probability of scoring a permit.
Well worth it too!
Think about Mt Russell and Mt. Carillon, too.
Great climbs, all.

I think you need to enter the lottery for the mountaineering route now. How long ago did you do this process? They say it is constantly changing.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Tony1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:21 am

Sometimes it's much better to have permit systems. Without permits, imagine what the Half Dome trail would look like, or Mt. Whitney too. As isolated as the east slope of the Sierra is, it's still hugely popular. I'd much rather have to go through the permit process than be able to just walk up the mountain with 1,000 of my closest friends. Plus, there are always lots of unclaimed permits on weekdays for Mt. Whitney. You just have to be flexible.

If California had 20% of its current population I doubt there would be permits. Not exactly a product of their "nanny state" in my opinion.

Postby falcon568 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:36 am

Last time I climbed the Mountaineer's Route, the quota was 6 "reserved" permits (online permit system), 4 "walk-in" permits for the North Fork Lone Pine (which is the Mountaineer's Route). The quota is much larger for the main trail. This stuff does change all the time though, best way is to be flexible like folks have said. Check the online reservations often, especially if your desired climb date is near. People are changing/canceling reservations all the time, I almost always was successful getting a permit this way. If you do the walk-in way and don't get one, doing something else like Mt Langley or Tyndall and trying another day for Whitney is where the flexibility comes in. Unfortunately, Mt Russell is included in the very limited quota for the North Fork Lone Pine permits, so the same hoops must be jumped through.
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives

Next