Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What Was Joe Kinder Thinking ?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

What Was Joe Kinder Thinking ?

Postby planet54 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:50 am

Time to bash this guy. A professional climber that cut down trees to put up a new route. Is he any less guilty than the BSA "leaders"?
http://www.adventure-journal.com/2013/10/professional-climber-cuts-down-juniper-trees-to-enable-new-route/
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Re: What Was Joe Kinder Thinking ?

Postby rickinco123 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:57 am

As in the other thread, let's put a way the torches and pitch forks. Fine the guy if that is what is appropriate and move on.

I do find the logic in this statement breathtaking though

This tree I lowered through was in a dangerous spot due to the fact that there was a difficult part on this route near the ground. Essentially, a fall from this lower section might have left a future climber injured: stabbed by tree limbs or worse. This was a serious concern of mine. I left the cliff thinking about that tree, not sure what to do

Dangerous? You're climbing for god's sake. In trad trees on route are often used as protection. Isn't it the bolter's prerogative whether to add bolts that will protect hazards..... or not.

Postby ajkagy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:00 am

yea i agree, fine the guy and move on. Trees grow back...it may take awhile in the case of a Juniper, but still the guy sounds like he already took a pretty good flogging from the extreme environmentalists out there. Lesson learned.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:28 am

I'm amused that one of the first comments attacking the guy was from Dean Potter.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby djkest » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:05 am

Jim Davies wrote:I'm amused that one of the first comments attacking the guy was from Dean Potter.

Dean Potter, who is famous for (among other things) climbing delicate arch and subsequently damaging it?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Hungry Jack » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:27 am

Kinder's actions are shockingly selfish and short-sighted. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:38 am

djkest wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:I'm amused that one of the first comments attacking the guy was from Dean Potter.

Dean Potter, who is famous for (among other things) climbing delicate arch and subsequently damaging it?

Yep, that's the guy. I guess he's seen the light.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby ajkagy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:55 am

djkest wrote:

Respect Dean Potter a lot, and is a really cool guy in real life, totally genuine/down to earth, but pretty hypocritical to attack the guy given his delicate arch stunt. To an extent we're all guilty of altering the environment and our surroundings.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby wegerje » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Leave no trace. Clean climbing. This guy deserves every lash he gets here. I don't agree with the move on sympathies. Smacks of guilty consciousness.

Postby Repeat Ascender » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:20 pm