Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What were they thinking???

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What were they thinking???

Postby Scott P » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:49 am

Looks like his "Disability Law Suit" from 4 years ago might be in trouble.

Actually, the Disability Lawsuit was just filed last month and was a result of an accident four years ago. Apparently he is (or was) claiming in September that he is now disabled because of an accident back in 2009.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby tlongpine » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:08 am

Scott P wrote:
Looks like his "Disability Law Suit" from 4 years ago might be in trouble.

Actually, the Disability Lawsuit was just filed last month and was a result of an accident four years ago. Apparently he is (or was) claiming in September that he is now disabled because of an accident back in 2009.

What kind of thick-headed jackass files a disability lawsuit and then shares with the entire internet a video of himself moving the earth itself.

His troubles are just beginning. Beyond the criminal investigation that stems from the toppling itself, he's now jeopardized his disability suit, and probably exposed himself to an insurance fraud investigation.

=D>
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Steve Climber » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Food for thought. As easy as it is to go after the low-hanging fruit that these guys appear to be...

This guy is a PROFESSIONAL climber...this type of sh*t comes in all shapes and sizes.

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2013/10/professional-climber-cuts-down-juniper-trees-to-enable-new-route/
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Mel McKinney » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:50 pm

My experience has been that there are people everywhere who do stupid things. As the father of two Eagle Scouts, the fact that the vandals in this case are reportedly "scout leaders" is embarrassing, and I hope that the authorities follow through with charging them with a crime. Understandably, there has been some bashing of Boy Scouts in this thread. I would like to point out that in general, scout leaders are just parents who have volunteered to help run things, and while their qualifications can be all over the map, the intentions are usually good

Mtnman,
That's an incredible story on your co-worker's son. =D> Apparently he had good teachers, and will probably be a good teacher and role model himself. Yeah, I believe most scout leaders have good intentions. Like Chicago Transplant said earlier in the thread, education is vital. Unfortunately, these two are giving the rest a bad name, especially if what's coming out in the news is true.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby DrewR » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:22 pm

My father and one of his brothers are Eagle Scouts. I am an Eagle Scout and an active boy scout leader. My two boys are boy scouts and will one day be Eagle Scouts. It is and will continue to be a great organization. To claim that it is otherwise due to the inappropriate actions of these individuals or even a few "bad" troops (what any one individual realistically gets exposed to) is misguided. If an organization of any kind were bad due to a few bad apples then there wouldn't be a worthwhile organization/company anywhere. Their actions do not represent what the boy scouts stand for or what it teaches young scouts.

Postby Dex » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:36 pm

DrewR wrote:My father and one of his brothers are Eagle Scouts. I am an Eagle Scout and an active boy scout leader. My two boys are boy scouts and will one day be Eagle Scouts. It is and will continue to be a great organization. To claim that it is otherwise due to the inappropriate actions of these individuals or even a few "bad" troops (what any one individual realistically gets exposed to) is misguided. If an organization of any kind were bad due to a few bad apples then there wouldn't be a worthwhile organization/company anywhere. Their actions do not represent what the boy scouts stand for or what it teaches young scouts.

I'll also add that it gets a bad rap because it is a male organization - guilty until proven innocent. And, it is mostly found outside of NYC, LA, SF - AKA - fly-over territory, the sticks, etc.

Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Flyingfish » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Dex wrote:I'll also add that it gets a bad rap because it is a male organization - guilty until proven innocent.

Well actually the Boy Scouts are a Coed organization. They run the Venturing Program for girls and boys.

Postby tlongpine » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:27 pm

Dex wrote:
DrewR wrote:My father and one of his brothers are Eagle Scouts. I am an Eagle Scout and an active boy scout leader. My two boys are boy scouts and will one day be Eagle Scouts. It is and will continue to be a great organization. To claim that it is otherwise due to the inappropriate actions of these individuals or even a few "bad" troops (what any one individual realistically gets exposed to) is misguided. If an organization of any kind were bad due to a few bad apples then there wouldn't be a worthwhile organization/company anywhere. Their actions do not represent what the boy scouts stand for or what it teaches young scouts.

I'll also add that it gets a bad rap because it is a male organization - guilty until proven innocent. And, it is mostly found outside of NYC, LA, SF - AKA - fly-over territory, the sticks, etc.

Troll hard. :roll:
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Dex » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 pm

tlongpine wrote:
Dex wrote:

Troll hard. :roll:

Are you sure you know what is being said?
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby highpilgrim » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:13 pm

tlongpine wrote:Troll hard.

Dex wrote:Are you sure you know what is being said?

Senor tlongpine: you should know that Dexie is a highly sophisticated culvert dweller. Most of his commentary passes well under our heads.

In this case, he thinks because his point is aimed (not so) subtly at the left and right banks and the fourth estate that it makes him once again a sophist beyond your/our comprehension. But rest assured we understand Dexie quite well. Just look him up: http://www.dexdoesntknowshit.com
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby djkest » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:50 am

highpilgrim wrote:
tlongpine wrote:Troll hard.

Dex wrote:Are you sure you know what is being said?

Senor tlongpine: you should know that Dexie is a highly sophisticated culvert dweller. Most of his commentary passes well under our heads.

In this case, he thinks because his point is aimed (not so) subtly at the left and right banks and the fourth estate that it makes him once again a sophist beyond your/our comprehension. But rest assured we understand Dexie quite well. Just look him up: http://www.dexdoesntknowshit.com

I don't think personal attacks are appropriate for an internet forum. And your post is completely off topic.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Hungry Jack » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:02 am

tlongpine wrote:
IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:This does not bode well for the guy pushing over the rock....

Google "Glenn Taylor lawsuit" and you will see many articles talking about a personal injury lawsuit filed by Mr. Taylor last month.

An excerpt from one article:
Taylor, the man who is seen actually shoving the rock to the ground, had filed a personal injury lawsuit against a woman and her father for injuries he says he suffered in a 2009 car crash. Taylor filed the lawsuit at the beginning of September saying that after that accident he injured his back and had to "endure great pain and suffering, disability, impairment, loss of joy of life." Taylor also says in the lawsuit that the accident was "debilitating."

Oh, that's rich.

Congrats to Glenn Taylor. He is now American Asshat of the Week for October 21, 2013.

Glenn will receive a XXXL t-shirt from the American Asshat Association and a free weekend getaway at the Holiday Inn in Decatur in recognition of his accomplishment.
I need more dehydrogenase.

PreviousNext