Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What were they thinking???

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What were they thinking???

Postby Mtnman200 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:23 am

Mtnman200 wrote:I'd also like to point out that the good that Boy Scouts do far outweighs anything negative. As an example, below is a quote from a 10/16/13 email I received from one of my coworkers about her Eagle Scout son Curtis Ray ("Cray"), whose Eagle Court of Honor my wife and I attended on 4/13/13...

The email that I cut & pasted from described how this 15-year old Eagle Scout saved a man's life on Sept. 18th. Here's the followup from yesterday's local news:

http://www.kvue.com/home/Williamson-County-Scout-honored-with-saving-mans-life-229720531.html
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner

Postby tlongpine » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:37 am

highpilgrim wrote:
tlongpine wrote:Troll hard.

Dex wrote:Are you sure you know what is being said?

Senor tlongpine: you should know that Dexie is a highly sophisticated culvert dweller. Most of his commentary passes well under our heads.

In this case, he thinks because his point is aimed (not so) subtly at the left and right banks and the fourth estate that it makes him once again a sophist beyond your/our comprehension. But rest assured we understand Dexie quite well. Just look him up: http://www.dexdoesntknowshit.com

I get it.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby painless4u2 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:25 am

Update: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/01/269926160/men-filmed-toppling-ancient-rock-formation-are-charged-in-utah

Looks like these guys are being charged with felony criminal mischief. The rock had no comment.

edit: Just noticed another thread had started on this latest news. Apologies.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Postby CorduroyCalves » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:53 pm

painless4u2 wrote:Update: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/01/269926160/men-filmed-toppling-ancient-rock-formation-are-charged-in-utah

Looks like these guys are being charged with felony criminal mischief. The rock had no comment.

edit: Just noticed another thread had started on this latest news. Apologies.

No worries, hadn't noticed this initial thread when the news came out. I think Bill deleted the other thread.

I know it sounds weird, but given how many natural features get vandalized/destroyed with little or no knowledge of who the perps are, it's nice to see these guys face the music over their actions. Wish more folks got caught over stuff like this.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby mountaingoat-G » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:44 pm

Postby justiner » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:00 am

CorduroyCalves wrote:I know it sounds weird, but given how many natural features get vandalized/destroyed with little or no knowledge of who the perps are, it's nice to see these guys face the music over their actions. Wish more folks got caught over stuff like this.

The first rule of committing a crime is that you do not tell anyone that you are committing a crime. (They second rule is Honor Among Thieves) Heh, I guess that should fall under, "Be Prepared".
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby matt pierce » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:14 pm

"They will be required to pay an amount yet to be determined, which the state will use to erect warning signs throughout the park, officials said."

Seriously? What an eyesore...

Postby Vincopotamus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:27 pm

matt pierce wrote:"They will be required to pay an amount yet to be determined, which the state will use to erect warning signs throughout the park, officials said."

But how else will people know that toppling over million year old rocks is bad? Sign pollution is the only way!
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Postby Dex » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Vincopotamus wrote:
matt pierce wrote:"They will be required to pay an amount yet to be determined, which the state will use to erect warning signs throughout the park, officials said."

But how else will people know that toppling over million year old rocks is bad? Sign pollution is the only way!

But how else will people know that ...
throwing rocks off a peak
having a dog off a leash
leaving a trace
marking a trail
pooping near water
leaving a fire untended
disturbing your neighbor
killing some one
picking your teeth at the table ...
... is bad?

Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby TallGrass » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:25 pm

"if the men stay out of trouble for the next year and comply with conditions ordered by the court, the cases will be dismissed."
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby ajkagy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:48 pm

mountaingoat-G wrote:Update:

the vandals get away with just probation

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57695025-78/goblin-hall-state-rock.html.csp

I think the viral backlash and their notoriety is a far worse punishment than probation/fines.

If I recall Dean Potter never got punished for when he damaged delicate arch by climbing it. Sounds like double standards to me...
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Mel McKinney » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:15 am

ajkagy wrote:
mountaingoat-G wrote:Update:

the vandals get away with just probation

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57695025-78/goblin-hall-state-rock.html.csp

I think the viral backlash and their notoriety is a far worse punishment than probation/fines.

If I recall Dean Potter never got punished for when he damaged delicate arch by climbing it. Sounds like double standards to me...

Dean Potter wasn't punished due to vaguely worded regulations. Regulations have been reworded since then to ensure that it's understood that climbs are illegal, except for allowed areas/climbs.

This is an interesting article on the matter from 2006. There was a poo-storm.
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/climbing/rock-climbing/How-Delicate-Was-Dean-.html
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

PreviousNext