Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What were they thinking???

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What were they thinking???

Postby 12ersRule » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:30 am

They look pretty slow, but I'd make them push a boulder up a ramp multiple times (a la Sisyphus). They'll eventually get it.

Postby Brian C » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:35 am

I think the headline should read...

Big Fat Man Pushes Over Big Fat Boulder - Faces Charges

EDIT: It is a real shame. I'm sure that none of them feel bad at all about it either. :wft:
Last edited by Brian C on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby MonGoose » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:39 am

I'm most disturbed that these men, as stated in the article, are Boy Scout Leaders. Not only are they vandalizing public lands, they are teaching these values to aspiring young men with a passion for the outdoors.

Postby Scott P » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:42 am

Goblin Valley is one of my favorite places in the world. There are very few places in the world like it.

Sad that people would do this kind of thing.

I'm most disturbed that these men, as stated in the article, are Boy Scout Leaders. Not only are they vandalizing public lands, they are teaching these values to aspiring young men with a passion for the outdoors.

I am also a Boy Scout leader. While not exactly the same, too much of this kind of thing goes on with youth leaders and trips. Where I live some of the youth leaders have taught the scouts either in word or example somewhat similar things. Some of them have even said that Leave No Trace is a bunch of hooey.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby rickinco123 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:52 am

As far as leave no trace goes, I wonder if they picked up their empty beer cans.

Back in the 90s my sister ran down to the Delicate arch trail head to find a ranger. She turned in a girl who we saw trying to scratch her and her boyfriends name into Delicate arch. We never found out what happened to her.

Postby kansas » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:56 am

How did the national news and authorities get to this story before 14ers.com?

You're slacking, people. (probably fortunate for these idiots)
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby Scott P » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:59 am

As far as leave no trace goes, I wonder if they picked up their empty beer cans.

Mormon scout leaders usually don't have any beer cans. :wink:
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby painless4u2 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:29 am

So they claim they did it to "protect" some innocent child from being hurt if it fell on its own.
Well, we better get rid of this danger before it's too late:
Delicate Arch.jpg
Delicate Arch.jpg (93.44 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

Postby Mel McKinney » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:46 am

rickinco123 wrote:As far as leave no trace goes, I wonder if they picked up their empty beer cans.

Back in the 90s my sister ran down to the Delicate arch trail head to find a ranger. She turned in a girl who we saw trying to scratch her and her boyfriends name into Delicate arch. We never found out what happened to her.

Hopefully she was publicly flogged as an example. I hate to read this sort of stuff. Lack of common sense. :cry:

“It just made sense to us at the time — remove the danger so that we don’t have to hear about somebody dying.”

Thanks for saving the world guys.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am

I wonder how many other examples of these types of events occur but because they don't get published to social media the culprits never get caught? I know there are a few people on this site who think calling out these types of actions are somehow a bad thing, but do you honestly think letting it go and having people think knocking over 170 million year old natural features in a protected area is appropriate?

Silence can be construed as acceptance. These actions need to be identified and the culprits need to be punished for it. Public shaming, sure not the right thing, but public education and having the conversations that say "this is wrong" so that future events don't occur is certainly a positive. I agree it should be done in a civil and constructive manner and that the illegal activities need to be brought to the proper authorities to prosecute rather than public flogging by the morality police, but the conversation and the education are important and appropriate to preventing future such travesties.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby mtgirl » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:01 am

"Stupid is as stupid does". #-o You can't fix redneck.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Next