Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Moab Area Recommendations

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Moab Area Recommendations

Postby highplaces » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas! I've added them to my list.

Is there a good site (like 14ers.com) for info on routes and such?

Scott P - I looked into Spring Canyon, but what I found is 4x4 driving. Are you suggesting hiking the Jeep road? Or is there a good hiking route? And how do you access Hell Roaring Canyon to see the Pictographs?

Thanks!

Postby tlongpine » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:57 pm

highplaces wrote:Thanks for the suggestions and ideas! I've added them to my list.

Is there a good site (like 14ers.com) for info on routes and such?

Scott P - I looked into Spring Canyon, but what I found is 4x4 driving. Are you suggesting hiking the Jeep road? Or is there a good hiking route? And how do you access Hell Roaring Canyon to see the Pictographs?

Thanks!

It's not as neatly organized, but http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/index.shtml is a good resource.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby rickinco123 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:07 pm

I know it is a short hike and quite busy but Delicate Arch really should not be missed. I have been there about 10 times and will probably do it many more times.

Postby peter303 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:14 am

rickinco123 wrote:I know it is a short hike and quite busy but Delicate Arch really should not be missed. I have been there about 10 times and will probably do it many more times.

Unfortunately most national parks dont allow pets off paved roads:
http://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/pets.htm
Delicate arch is about two hour round trip hike with some topography. It is well worth it.

Postby Scott P » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:06 am

I looked into Spring Canyon, but what I found is 4x4 driving. Are you suggesting hiking the Jeep road?

No, I am not suggesting hiking the jeep road. As far as the jeep road goes, the only part I'd consider is to hike is from the rim to the bottom on the jeep road and then up canyon. You can easily avoid the Jeep Trail completely since two scenic trails drop into Spring Canyon from either rim. Spring Canyon is pretty and laced with pools and waterfalls.

And how do you access Hell Roaring Canyon to see the Pictographs?

Two routes. One is a ledge scramble that can be hard to find and one is via an old cattle trail. The cattle trail is easiest to find. It drops down Dubinki Wash on the east side.

The pictographs are located a few miles up canyon from Dubinki Wash.
Last edited by Scott P on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby greenhorn1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:35 am

The Whole Enchilada is a great ride/view in the nearby La Sals. This summer I hiked up the back side of Burro Pass and took our Min-Pin with us. There are some really nice trails up there. I don't know how the mtns. look right now with it being late Oct., but I camped at one of the campgrounds up there a few years back in Oct. and it wasn't too bad.

Also for riding, I love Bartletts Wash. It's north of Moab on the left side of the hwy after passing the RV Park/Gas Station (RV park has tent camping too BTW)
and is a great free-style riding location with beautiful scenery with Nobody out there the day we rode. I found it so much more fun than Slick rock. Free too.

There are also newly uncovered dinosaur tracks near the ATV parking lot on the way to Bartletts Wash that are really nice. I was surprised how clear they are to see - and lots of them. Not just a couple prints in the dirt. There is a chain-link fence around them that makes their location easy to spot. We were told at the visitor center there are plans to build a board walk around them and some other touristy stuff in the near future.
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt

Postby tlongpine » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 am

greenhorn1 wrote:The Whole Enchilada is a great ride/view in the nearby La Sals. This summer I hiked up the back side of Burro Pass and took our Min-Pin with us. There are some really nice trails up there. I don't know how the mtns. look right now with it being late Oct., but I camped at one of the campgrounds up there a few years back in Oct. and it wasn't too bad.

Also for riding, I love Bartletts Wash. It's north of Moab on the left side of the hwy after passing the RV Park/Gas Station (RV park has tent camping too BTW)
and is a great free-style riding location with beautiful scenery with Nobody out there the day we rode. I found it so much more fun than Slick rock. Free too.

There are also newly uncovered dinosaur tracks near the ATV parking lot on the way to Bartletts Wash that are really nice. I was surprised how clear they are to see - and lots of them. Not just a couple prints in the dirt. There is a chain-link fence around them that makes their location easy to spot. We were told at the visitor center there are plans to build a board walk around them and some other touristy stuff in the near future.

I second Whole Enchilada, but offer a seasonal disclaimer: currently large sections of the trail above the Aspen groves are under under ice until the spring thaw.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby highplaces » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Had a great trip, thanks to all for the recommendations!

Day 1 Hiking: Corona Arch, Jeep Arch & Gold Bar Rim, Portal Trail
Day 2 Mtn Biking: Moab Brands (BarM and North 40 trails), Klondike Bluffs trail + short hike to overlook into Arches Nat Park
Day 3 Hiking (only had the morning, then had to head home): Fisher Towers

Already planning the next trip back!

Previous