Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Moab Area Recommendations

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Moab Area Recommendations

Postby highplaces » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Planning a 3 day trip to Moab and looking for suggestions on day hikes and mountain bikes (beginner/intermediate). I’ll be taking my dog, so I cannot go into Arches or Canyonlands Parks. Even with that, it seems like there is tons of stuff to do.

On my list so far is
biking: Deadhorse State Park, Klondike Bluffs
hiking: Fisher Towers, Funnel Arch/Pritchett Arch

Many of the hikes I’ve read about (Corona Arch, Morning Glory Natural Bridge, etc) seem so short, just a few miles. I’m looking for more of a daylong hike.

I’m also looking for camping recommendations, would prefer less busy areas so I’m not battling for a site on Friday night. I’ve been looking at Horsethief. Is that too far removed? Any suggestions of fave sites?

What are your favorite hikes/bikes in the area? Thanks in advance!

Re: Moab Area Recommendations

Postby Tony1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:15 pm

For camping, Sand Flats is pretty good. There's camping galore up there, and as it gets chillier I can't imagine it being crowded. Plus, the views are awesome, in the original sense of the word too.

You take Mill Creek Drive off of 191, then Sand Flats road up and out of the valley. I believe if you take the road further it leads to some trailheads as well.

Postby kaiman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:41 pm

The recommendation to camp at Sandflats is a good one. A lot of people also like camping off of the Kane Creek Road along the Colorado River.

Moab is still pretty busy right now despite the shutdown, but you should be able to find some good spots to camp.

A lot of the longer day hikes are in the parks (Syncline Loop, Murphy Bottom, Alcove Springs, etc.) or require a shuttle vehicle. Hidden Valley is a shorter one that should be on your list. Also the often overlooked Colvert Canyon/Jeep Arch is a local favorite. The trail starts at a pull off just beyond the Corona Arch trailhead on the Potash Road.

As for mountain biking definitely check out the Bar-M trails north of town, there are lots of beginner to intermediate loops to ride. Check in at Rim Cyclery or the Chili Pepper bike shop when you get to town, they have maps of the Bar-M stuff available.

Enjoy!

Kai

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Corona Arch is a short hike but the scenery is great and the arch is one of the best around. I highly recommend it.

**edit for dog**

As for camping, there are some great sites along the Kane Creek Blvd and Kane Springs Rd. Most of them have trees and shade provided by the high canyon walls. I stayed at the Hunter Canyon CG--very sweet with a good hike up Hunter Canyon to Hunter Arch right there.
Last edited by Tory Wells on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Scott P » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Morning Glory Natural Bridge

Negro Bill Canyon actually extends far beyond the short side canyon containing Morning Glory Bridge. You can easily make it an all day hike.

Also, consider Mill Creek (North and South Forks) or Professor Creek. Dogs shouldn't have a problem in either, but don't let him her do their business in the creeks.

I'd Highly recommend the Hell Roaring Pictograph as well, if your dog can hike the rugged cattle trail in. It might be tough for some dogs. Spring Canyon is a really good one too. Dogs will have no problem.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Brian C » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm biased, but the Fisher Towers are amazing.

BC

Postby tlongpine » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Camping
Sand Flats
Sites along 128 and Colorado River near Negro Bill TH

Mountain Biking
Porcupine Rim - everything else is foreplay

Hikes
Fisher Towers Area
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby I Man » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:29 pm

Brian C wrote:I'm biased, but the Fisher Towers are amazing.

BC

Let's see if you're saying that around 10am on Saturday..."BC" :lol:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Scott P » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:01 pm

PS, if you are speaking of this weekend, it's UEA weekend, one of the most popular weekends of the entire year in Moab. Only the two jeep safaris compare.

I'd really suggest steering clear of Moab if this weekend is the one in question. If it's another weekend, ignore this post.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Brian C » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:52 am

I Man wrote:Let's see if you're saying that around 10am on Saturday..."BC" :lol:

I will be singing a MUCH different tune then...

Scott - We'll be braving the crowds this weekend in the Fishers!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby IntrepidXJ » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:16 am

Scott P wrote:PS, if you are speaking of this weekend, it's UEA weekend, one of the most popular weekends of the entire year in Moab. Only the two jeep safaris compare.

I'd really suggest steering clear of Moab if this weekend is the one in question. If it's another weekend, ignore this post.

I made that mistake a few years ago...never again will I go to Moab on UEA weekend. The other weekend I won't go to Moab on is during the car show in the spring...it was worse than during EJS! Worst 2 weekends I've ever had around Moab!

Postby mike offerman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:45 am

Brian C wrote:We'll be braving the crowds this weekend in the Fishers!

Won't be any crowds where you will be going!

Next