Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How Would you do it???

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: How Would you do it???

Postby paul109876 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:10 pm

A couple of other questions: As far trying to lighten equipment weight. What do you recommend as far as a GPS? I currently have an old Magellan which works great but I've had it for 5+ years and I'm looking to upgrade to better/lighter.

And what bare minimums do you carry for safety?
I carry a whistle, head lamp, medicine bottle with some tylenol in it which has duct tape wrapped around it for sprains, torn clothing. Empty zip lock bag and some poopy paper.

Suggestions?
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Tequila and cytomax

Postby painless4u2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Not just any tequila: Patron Anejo in a Snow Peak titanium pocket flask.

You might also consider essential:

spare batteries, bivy sack, compass, lighter, and blister bandages.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Postby LadyClimber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:07 pm

For inspiration and entertainment while you train for next year's adventure read [i]Halfway to Heaven" [i] by Mark Obmascik

http://www.amazon.com/Halfway-Heaven-White-knuckled-Knuckleheaded-Quest-Mountain/dp/1416567003

Postby paul109876 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:06 am

Ladyclimber: Thanks, I have a copy and just finished it for the 4th time. Another good read is "Scraping Heaven" by Cindy Ross. it's about a family hiking the entire Continental Divide.

Postby DaveSwink » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:43 am

painless4u2 wrote:spare batteries, bivy sack, compass, lighter, and blister bandages.

Good essentials here.

In addition, I carry a blood-stopper: http://www.rei.com/product/770185/z-medica-quikclot-sport-50g.

I carry more duct tape (16 feet?) than you describe wrapped on my trekking poles below the handle. That duct tape let me splint my broken leg and hobble out from a climbing accident in Mexico years ago. :( Duct tape can also function as a blister bandage, but I don't blister often so I can't speak to how well it works.

I bring a GPS when climbing in an area I am not familiar with, but I always carry a small, simple compass in my emergency kit. That has saved me from unplanned bivys on a couple of occasions.

On winter climbs, I bring a very light set of down parka, down pants and down booties in case of a forced bivy. I have only used the parka a couple of times to hang out on summits but never used this gear in an emergency. It is very reassuring to know I can survive in relative comfort overnight though.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:20 pm

DaveSwink wrote:On winter climbs, I bring a very light set of down parka, down pants and down booties in case of a forced bivy.

What down pants and booties do you like?

I have a pair of Patagonia micro-puff side-zip pants for this purpose - about 16 oz. Like you, I've never had to use them for bailout, but wonder if there's something warmer and lighter.

Never thought about the booties - that's not a bad idea at all.

I got one of those REI "Antifreeze" hooded down parkas when they were on sale a couple years ago. Not the lightest, but looks pretty beefy. I got a 2XL so it can go over everything else in a pinch. Weighs about 24 oz, so between it and the pants, 2.5 lbs of bailout at the bottom of the winter pack.

Postby DaveSwink » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:03 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:What down pants and booties do you like?

Goose Feet. I had them overstuffed. They are just ridiculously warm. https://goosefeetgear.com/products/1-down-socks If you order some, be sure to oversize them. I wear 11 1/2 but ordered the extra large, thinking that they might fit over my boots, but the extra large fit my feet just right with my boots off. That might have been a result of having them overstuffed though.

My parka and pants are Montbell Ultra Lights. http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=72&p_id=2301159. The pants are very warm too. The parka seems to have lost a bit of its loft compared to the pants and booties, but I usually wear some insulation on my upper body anyway. I may try washing it to restore loft. Both pieces do not have really tough outer skins (to save weight), so they might not do well to wear climbing regularly, but I bought them just as emergency gear.

This down gear is kinda expensive at regular prices, but I picked up all three pieces in really good sales by watching out over the course of two years. Montbell has in-store close out sales at great prices.

I have tested this gear by sitting out a couple of hours in low 20s degree weather. I found it was important to sit on my pack to insulate from the ground or snow, but otherwise I was comfy even without moving to generate heat, and did not seem to be getting colder.

Parka, pants, booties and stuff sack are just over 23 oz so the weight is not significant considering the extra safety it provides. However, I don't use a compression sack, so this gear takes up a lot of room in the bottom of my pack. It is about the size of a small sleeping bag. It could be compressed much smaller, but I worry about killing the loft over time.

Postby Hiker Mike » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:23 pm

paul109876 wrote:A couple of other questions: As far trying to lighten equipment weight. What do you recommend as far as a GPS? I currently have an old Magellan which works great but I've had it for 5+ years and I'm looking to upgrade to better/lighter.Suggestions?

Hi there fellow Hoosier!

I have a Garmin eTrex 20 that does well. It takes two AA batteries. My Headlamp uses AAs as well. It is important IMHO to make sure those two items use the same kind of batteries so that you don't have to carry two different kinds of batteries. I also use lithium batteries. No cheap junk on the mountain. Your life might depend on that gear.

I purchased additional topo map software from Garmin, Topo US 24k Southwest. It has most of the main trails. There may be others that are better. But that is what I use. If you are in the central Indiana area, the REI in Castleton would be a good place to go.

Mike
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker

Postby paul109876 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 pm

Hiker Mike: Thanks, I didn't know there was an REI in Indiana. I'll check it out on my way up to ClimbTime.

I'm also looking at a better hiking shoe/boot. Part of me says trail runners due to the lighter weight, but I like the ankle support of a boot.
New Balance has a cross breed between the 2 that 'm going to check out.

Postby colokeith » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:34 pm

When my last pair of summer boots wore out I struggled with whether to go to trail runners or not. I ended up going with the Solomon Quest boots, and have been very happy!!! There was a long thread on the subject of boots / trail runners not long ago viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39891

GPS I lost my Garmin a few years ago, and have switched to using only an iphone for GPS. It works well. Use offline topo maps, a ziplock bag to waterproof, and carry a small battery charger.

Cutting weight.. water is one of the best ways to cut weight. Learn how much you really need and don't carry extra. Leave the trailhead well hydrated, and return somewhat dehydrated. Carry a sterripin, straw, or tablets to purify enroute.

my pack always has
* shell
* insulating layer
* hat / gloves
* firstaid kit (including sam splint, bandaids, clot aid, gauze, medicine, tweezers, anthistimines, ace bandage, blister protection)
* small spf 50 sunscreen container
* printed map, route description, compass
* waterproof matches and a small container with petroleum soaked dryer lint
* head lamp (with fresh batteries or a spare set)
* whistle
* food (just enough for the trip not a lot of extra)
* ducktape (wrapped on my hiking pole)
* small lightweight multi tool
* mylar blanket
* water purification tablets
* lightweight gmrs radio
* sunglasses

IF going solo where I don't expect to see people I will throw in extra supplies for unplanned overnight. tarp, sleeping bag or down jacket, alcohol stove

helmet / crampons / ice axe / microspikes / flotation / extra insulation layers to fit the climb and expected conditions
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby Hiker Mike » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:14 pm

paul109876 wrote:I'm also looking at a better hiking shoe/boot. Part of me says trail runners due to the lighter weight, but I like the ankle support of a boot. New Balance has a cross breed between the 2 that 'm going to check out.

I am on my third pair of Vasque Sundowners boots in 30+ years of hiking around the USA. I like the the ankle support and protection plus the Gore-Tex and the light weight.

Last year, I did some hiking in a pair of TNF Gore-Tex XCRs, a hiking shoe, and was impressed with how light they are. However, in more demanding terrain, I would have missed the ankle support and protection.

Mike
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker

PreviousNext