Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How Would you do it???

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: How Would you do it???

Postby Fred North » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:49 pm

I love the Bleu Cheese and bagels idea from a few posts back. I too live in Indiana and my biggest effort was warming up on Twin Sisters and then hiking Grays and Longs all within 5 days. I am in shape and in your age group and it was not easy, I was a beat up. Have fun and try to remember, it's not about how many you bag but enjoying the trip. You may have fewer aches and pains that way. Good luck and have at it for all of us "older" guys. =D>
Exactly...these go to 11 -- Nigel Tufnel

Postby LoveThisSite » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:33 am

Put down a 6 pack the night before and ignore all these healthy suggestions. Your brain will be busy fighting the hangover to worry about the altitude.

Postby paul109876 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:11 am

Pops921: You are correct about breathing techniques. I've noticed that has I push myself more and more during the cardio session I have to focus on relaxing the rest of my body and filling my lungs so my breathing is not so labored.

Hmmmmm- Beer and a Camelbak...... Sounds like a test is needed.

I will try the Bleu cheese, sounds good!!!!!

Once again I do appreciate all of the tips and suggestions. I've been copying and pasting them into my excel prep sheet. ( yes, I'm a little OCD) I've always planned things, reviewed, reviewed and tweaked them to death. But it makes for greater chances of success.
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby colokeith » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:48 am

Getting in a lot of peaks in a short period is all about proper recovery. Practice your recovery nutrition around your hard days. Experiment and pay attention to how you feel the next day. In addition to nutrition, ice foam roller, stretching, and massage can help you keep your body working well under heavy stress. Also make sure to stay off your feet when you are not hiking.

Getting your body used to multiple hard days in a row also takes some preparation. Doing back to back hard days is a great way to do this. Two-a-day's can also be useful in forcing your body to recover quickly.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby bohlsen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:29 pm

I think bladders are very useful since they put the water weight closer to your back and having the nozzle handy means you can sip it slowly while walking without having to stop. I've had a camelback for almost 10 years and never had a leak, but I got a playtpus bladder last Christmas and just discovered a pinhole leak in it. The plastic seems cheaper and less flexible so I would definitely recommend getting a camelback. I always carry 4 liters minimum for 14ers and never really notice the extra weight so I've never bothered to stash any but I weigh 220 lbs so that might be a factor.

I want to second the recommendation of bagels as the best pre-hike food. The only time I've done something similar to what you're attempting I did 6 14ers in 6 days and most mornings I ate enough bagels to almost be uncomfortably full and then felt great on the trail. One morning though I only ate one bagel instead of my usual 2 and I felt like I hit a wall about 2 miles up the trail and it was a struggle the rest of the way up.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned for a long endeavor like this is that you're going to want some form of entertainment for when you're camping after your hikes, whether its a good book or making sure you have hiking partners you get along well with. Even if it doesn't rain on you during your hike there's a good chance it'll rain in the evening afterwards and you'll be stuck in your tent for a couple hours and having some way to pass the time can be the difference between a good trip and a bad one.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Postby painless4u2 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:49 pm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned for a long endeavor like this is that you're going to want some form of entertainment for when you're camping after your hikes, whether its a good book or making sure you have hiking partners you get along well with.

Along with a good quality beverage, of course.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

Postby bohlsen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 pm

painless4u2 wrote:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned for a long endeavor like this is that you're going to want some form of entertainment for when you're camping after your hikes, whether its a good book or making sure you have hiking partners you get along well with.

Along with a good quality beverage, of course.

Of course, I thought that was a given. For an out of stater though perhaps it would be good to mention that Oskar Blues makes great choices of quality beverages. They're delicious, high alcohol content and come in cans for easy backcountry use.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Postby sunny1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:34 pm

paul109876 wrote:....So as part of my 50th Birthday I've sworn myself ( now publicly) to knock out as many peaks in a 10 day period as possible. I have a certain minimum number in mind.

What number do you have in mind?

paul109876 wrote:Now for the question: If you had 10 days to knock out as many 14ers as you could which ones and in which order would you do it?? Of course I have to keep logistics in mind as well to cut down on travel time between peaks.

If I had 10 days to knock out as many 14ers as I could, I would first decide what I REALLY wanted, what variables involved in the experience would REALLY make my 50th birthday memorable - AND FUN - for me, what would REALLY take me to my happy place :mrgreen:
Are there certain places or summits that have more appeal?
Is this about climbing as many summits as you can in 10 days or more about the overall experience?

I'm a big fan of very sharp cheddar and dry cured salami to take care of my fat needs on ascents/descents/recovery. Both work well on multi-day backpacks.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby paul109876 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Here's the why. I really like to push myself physically to see what I can achieve and there's nothing better than the gratification of reaching a summit.
So why not combine the two??

Kind of like, you got chocolate in my peanut butter.........................
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby Andymcp1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Paul,
I think you have a great idea for a big 10 day push, and a heck of a challenge to work yourself towards over the upcoming months. I would say set a high number and go for it. Some may say if you are just in it for the number you wont enjoy it, but during my big pushes I have tried I have had more fun due to the challenge of it.
my reccomendations to you
1. Get a camelback- Like others here I have never had an issue besides in my college days when I would make a big rum and coke and shake it up to much...but I dont presume that will be an applicable issue. I always chug at least one liter just prior to starting off for the day, it seems to help alot with hydration.

2. Cardio, Cardio, Cardio- I love doing alternating days between stair stepper and running. Do a 50 minute grind on the stair stepper and then hop off and hit a mile at your max pace. Do sprint intervals at a track: sprint the straights walk the curve. Hop on the tredmill and increase your pace by .2mph every 1/2 mile and go for like 5 miles. Hit the hills- it dosent have to be much, I have 1 hill by my house and I just run up and down the thing.

3. Eat big and at the right times. Dont skimp on your food especially right after your hike. Make sure you get some protein, chocolate milk is a great choice. This will be a 10 day period where you can eat as much as you want, especially on your big days. Make sure to snack every 45 min or hour while hiking and you will keep your energy up for the day.

Postby Andymcp1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:36 pm

Also, I am a big fan of training with a weight vest or weighted back pack. It will help build your leg muscles up for those long days with a pack. It also helps me with the mental struggle of grinding up a long hill and just pushing it out.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:25 am

Gatorade.

PreviousNext