Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How Would you do it???

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: How Would you do it???

Postby djkest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:07 am

Day 1: Grays/Torreys(2)
An easy 14er, it will get you acclimitization without beating you up too bad.
Day 2: Bierstadt/Evans via Sawtooth(4)
Close by, not too bad. It's a fairly long day but doable.
Day 3: De/Ca/Li/Bro(8) 4 in one day, and your still done by noon
Day 4: Sherman, travel(9) Sherman is so easy, this is a rest day
Day 5: Castle, Conundrum (11) Elks!
Day 6: Rest, travel, but mainly rest up those legs and get in position for the killer day
Day 7: Bel/Ox/Mo (14) This is a killer day, but hopefully with the rest you will be up for it.
Day 8: Shav/Tab (16) A pretty big day, but not too bad
Day 9: Mt. Yale (17). This is a pretty short 14er with a good trail. This give you time to drive over for the last day and hike INTO Horn Fork basin for the last day
Day 10: Harvard and Columbia (19) this can be a brutal combo, but if you are acclimitized and starting from horn fork basin, you might just pull it off.

It's not the most possible in 10 days, but I do feel it's a lot of peaks for the effort involved. I think it would be doable for someone in good shape, and you don't need to be in rockstar shape.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby paul109876 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:59 am

First of all I want to thank everyone for the great feedback.

Madbuck: I will incorporate some of the longer sessions 2-3 hours into my schedule. I planned on using 1 of our State Parks which is about 40 minutes away for extended trail run/hikes.
It beats the heck out of being stuck in a gym all of the time.

Rambler/Fahixon: Great list!! Kind of along the lines I was thinking but you mentioned a couple I had not thought about. And you are correct, I will have to play the weather game and need to be flexible.
I will be camping so no worries about hotel reservations. This is one thing that had bit me in the but a few times. Paid for a hotel in advance and stuck where the weather isn't good.

I have a SUV with great clearance and will be sleeping in the back of it or my tent.

I will have all of the trails on the list pre-loaded on my GPS in advance. The one thing that does work out for me is that I am familiar with the Front & Mosquito Ranges as well as the San Juans.

Tlongpine: Thanks for the dietary info. In the past I just carbed up the day before the hike and kept the carbs flowing during the hikes.

DJkest: You're right about the interval training. I believe that this has helped me the most in increasing my VO2 max levels so far and thus helps me to constantly beat my old bests.

Example: last night started with a 5K on the treadmill with no incline. I'd jog at 5.8 mph for 60 seconds then 6.4 for 30 seconds. At the end of the 5K I take the incline up to 15% for 20 minutes and then the last 10 minutes is spend walking backwards on the treadmill with the incline at 15% @ 1.8 mph. This way I hit my legs at all different angles and it keeps my mind busy the entire time so the hour flys by.

Another question/concern for you all: The largest portion of the weight I carry is in water by far. I've been weary about using a Camelback due to the fact, 1 leak and it's all gone.
What I have done, is carry several smaller bottles and plant a couple of them on the way up to lighten the load and picked them up on the way down. See anything wrong practice?

My favorite hiking food is Peanut Butter and pretzel sticks.- any other suggestions to lighten the load?
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:08 am

Oman wrote:If you want the most mountain with the least driving, then Evans > Bierstadt > Grays > Torreys > Quandary > Democrat > Cameron > Lincoln > Bross > Sherman > Pikes.

Close, but I think you could do Belford-Oxford and maybe Missouri the last day instead of Pikes with about the same drive.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:18 am

paul109876 wrote:Another question/concern for you all: The largest portion of the weight I carry is in water by far. I've been weary about using a Camelback due to the fact, 1 leak and it's all gone.
What I have done, is carry several smaller bottles and plant a couple of them on the way up to lighten the load and picked them up on the way down. See anything wrong practice?

Running water is rarely hard to find in the mountains. This year I bought a steri-pen and started carrying that and two 1L bottles. I would fill and drink from one and then would fill both to carry with me above treeline (although running water can typically be found above treeline as well). So the maximum amount of water I was ever carrying was 2L, plus you get to drink delicious and ice cold mountain stream water all day. Just make sure to bring a back-up-method in case the steri-pen fails (I carry iodine tablets).
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby painless4u2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:41 am

I've used the Steripen for a couple of years and found it great. Just be sure to bring a wide mouth bottle along so it will fit easily inside. A small Camelback is good too. Don't be afraid of leakages, except for accidently pulling the bite valve off. I added the stopcock valve to the bite valve to keep from losing the water if it accidently comes off (which has happened twice).

I've got to agree with goingup:
Remember it's not about how many peaks you check off the list it's about the fun and adventure of it all!!!

Slow down and enjoy the ride!
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Postby TallGrass » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:36 pm

paul109876 wrote:What I have done, is carry several smaller bottles and plant a couple of them on the way up to lighten the load and picked them up on the way down. See anything wrong practice?
How would anyone else differentiate that from littering? :-k If I saw one, I'd dump it, crush it, pack it out, and recycle it.

If you're leaving something behind to pick back up later, sharpie, masking tape, date it, and initial it. If I saw something with that day's date, I'd leave it. If yesterday's, pack it out. If SAR, check if the initials match the person sought.

Gear: always have a backup, especially for water. I take a few 1-liter or several 0.5-liter bottles (cheap grocery bottled water types), Sawyer filter, and ClO2 tabs. Squeeze filter might take longer than a some setups, but it's a non-factor as I time water stops to double as rest breaks. Make sure the area has good water that isn't fouled by excessive minerals, metals, or livestock runoff. I also pack some powdered sports drink mix to add to some of the bottles when refilling later.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby paul109876 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:04 pm

TallGrass: I guess I never looked at it from that stand point. I suppose It would be disheartening to find someone else's stuff lying around.
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby rickinco123 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:37 pm

paul109876 wrote:
Another question/concern for you all: The largest portion of the weight I carry is in water by far. I've been weary about using a Camelback due to the fact, 1 leak and it's all gone.
What I have done, is carry several smaller bottles and plant a couple of them on the way up to lighten the load and picked them up on the way down. See anything wrong pactice?

I have been using bladders since about 1994 and I have never had one leak on me. I still have my original one, a blackburn. If they did leak I would imagine something more probable like a pin hole that can be taped enough to slow the leak. I'm sure this is almost not statistical difference between water bottle failure and bladder failure.
paul109876 wrote:My favorite hiking food is Peanut Butter and pretzel sticks.- any other suggestions to lighten the load?

I think the most calorie bang for the buck is fatty cheese. Go to a store and buy the brie with the hightest fat content per serving or blue cheese. That on bagel chips. Also provides protein and salt. Add dates for sugar and potassium.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Postby tlongpine » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:55 pm

TallGrass wrote:
paul109876 wrote:What I have done, is carry several smaller bottles and plant a couple of them on the way up to lighten the load and picked them up on the way down. See anything wrong practice?
How would anyone else differentiate that from littering? :-k If I saw one, I'd dump it, crush it, pack it out, and recycle it.

If you're leaving something behind to pick back up later, sharpie, masking tape, date it, and initial it. If I saw something with that day's date, I'd leave it. If yesterday's, pack it out. If SAR, check if the initials match the person sought.

Gear: always have a backup, especially for water. I take a few 1-liter or several 0.5-liter bottles (cheap grocery bottled water types), Sawyer filter, and ClO2 tabs. Squeeze filter might take longer than a some setups, but it's a non-factor as I time water stops to double as rest breaks. Make sure the area has good water that isn't fouled by excessive minerals, metals, or livestock runoff. I also pack some powdered sports drink mix to add to some of the bottles when refilling later.

This is common practice on many desert backcountry routes in the Grand Canyon and Canyonlands. Hikers will stash water in a hidden location for the hike out. As TallGrass pointed out, if you're going to do it it's best to mark it with a date and a note. And probably a warning to the effect: "If you tamper with this water stash people could die. Please and Thank you."

Of course, someone (or something) may still come along and spoil your plans.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby djkest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:13 pm

I have hiked about 500 miles with water bladders including 58 14ers. Never been a problem during the hike. I have had some leakage from the drinking tube, due to weight / pressure on the tube in the car, but that is another factor entirely. I wouldn't worry about it.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Pops921 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:03 pm

Lot's of good suggestions already that I will not repeat.

Good breathing technique is very important, many people breath too shallow at altitude. Lower atmospheric pressure means you need to focus to get air deep in your lungs. Google "Pressure Breathing" and you can find some video and descriptions on this technique. "Pressure breathing" gets rid of the CO2 rich air in your lungs and creates a back pressure that helps you fill your lungs deeply. If you start feeling light headed or get a head ache, your brain is not getting enough oxygen - deep breathing will almost always help.

Postby vusteph » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Whenever I was coming up from sealevel or below sealevel I'd always eat and drink a ton of water on the drive up. It helps ward off the headaches and nausea for me. Or if I was flying in I'd be sure to stay hydrated the day before and during travel. I always felt like my body was running on overdrive when I'd go from below sealevel to 9k and above over the course of 24 hours or so.

PreviousNext