Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How Would you do it???

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: How Would you do it???

Postby paul109876 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:26 pm

I have recently started performing my long cardio sessions while wearing a 70 oz. camelbak. The plan is to move up to a 100 oz. in a couple of months. It's not much weight wise but did make a big difference in making me push harder.
What about compression shirt or pants while hiking? I know nothing about them and have never used them.
I've always used a couple of lite layers upper and lower, both poly material so they do not absorb moisture. I am 1 of those guys who sweats a lot while hiking.
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby bohlsen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:36 pm

paul109876 wrote:What about compression shirt or pants while hiking? I know nothing about them and have never used them.
I've always used a couple of lite layers upper and lower, both poly material so they do not absorb moisture. I am 1 of those guys who sweats a lot while hiking.

I always wear compression shorts while hiking and frequently wear a long sleeve compression shirt if its a bit chilly in the morning. I've found they do a good job of preventing chafing and the shirt will protect you from the wind and sun while wicking away sweat to prevent clamminess. It can also be nice to have on if any of your outer layers are uncomfortable or have rough spots.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Postby paul109876 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:55 pm

An update: Thanks to my kids and wife they have shaved off close to 3 lbs off of my gear.
New boots, day pack, rain jacket, head lamp, gloves, socks and compression shirt and pants.

I have shaved off 15 lbs off of me with roughly another 20 to go depending on how I feel.

I've greatly increased my cardio sessions with a mixture of 3000 verticle ft. sessions on the treadmill and 6 mile runs. Sometimes doing these on back to back days. I will admit that I never thought that I would be able to perform some of the cardio sessions at the times and speeds that I am currently at.
The lifting sessions are pretty much non stop doing high reps and mostly core engaged exercises which I constantly change.

Thanks again to all for the tips and I hope your Holidays were as Merry and mine were. And have a Happy New Year!!!!!

Postby KSU Wildcat » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:54 pm

Congratulations Paul. Keep up the good work!
Climb on!

Postby yorksman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:23 am

Best piece of advice I can provide is to get yourself some hiking poles, it will save you knees more than you know on the descents. As well as it helps not falling flat on your face in the early hours of the morning.

Jody
http://www.jodygrigg.com - Colorado Fourteener photos and more.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jody-Grigg-Photography/262024160516067 Jody Grigg Photography Facebook

Postby paul109876 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:24 am

I have a few sets of hiking poles and you're right. They have stopped a stumble a few times.

Thanks

Postby Hobopoet » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:42 pm

paul109876 wrote:Being from Indiana acclimation has been a bit of an issue while hiking. There's nothing I can do about not enough Red Blood Cells. The other has been my weight. " 250ish".
I've always tried to prepare myself cardio wise and muscle wise for the long hikes. Stairmaster at a 15% incline, up and down the bleachers, Stair master ect.

I've been able to knock out 3 peaks in a week but by Colorado standards I know that ain't nothing. So as part of my 50th Birthday I've sworn myself ( now publicly) to knock out as many peaks in a 10 day period as possible. I have a certain minimum number in mind.
I'm cutting the weight and by next June will be in the 210-215 range.
I've changed my cardio sessions to a series of cycles/personal bests:
# of verticle ft in an hour
# of verticle feet in 15 minutes
a timed mile
a timed 5K
number of stairs on the stair machine in 30 minutes ect.ect.
This keeps it fresh, interesting and breaking 1 PR compliments the others.

Now for the question: If you had 10 days to knock out as many 14ers as you could which ones and in which order would you do it?? Of course I have to keep logistics in mind as well to cut down on travel time between peaks.

Please let me know how this thread develops. Although all the details are unclear, I hope to make a similar attempt (and maybe even beyond this!) this coming summer.

Postby paul109876 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:21 am

To clear it up a bit the plan is to try to hit as many 14er summits as I can in a week to 10 days. A goal I have to celebrate my 50th and to prove to myself I can do it and create some self fulfillment
I've started by dropping body weight, which I was carrying too much. I should end up around 215ish depending on my performance at that point and how I feel.
I've done this by watching my calories and really stepping up the cardio.

I'm going through my gear right now trying to lighten it up as much as I possibly can and still have the minimal safety items I want to carry. My wife and kids bought me some new Christmas gifts that will help out.

As far as which peaks, they are listed in this thread as suggestions. Most are twofer's spread out over different ranges so I can avoid the bad weather as much as possible. Example, Grays/Torrey
Belford/Oxford, Red Cloud/Sunshine and so on. On all of my choices I now have the trails downloaded on my GPS along with the Topo Map and Digital Sat. Photos

I'll not be making any reservations in advance and have spoken to my boss about taking vacation on short notice once I find a good window of weather later next Spring.

I know from the past that I perform best if I sleep at 8000ft or less. I've stayed at 10,000 ft a few times and just did not sleep well and sucked wind the next day. That's from living in Indiana.

So to sum it up, I've created my own little adventure

Postby Sugar Madison » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:35 pm

Being from Indiana originally myself (Evansville), I feel your pain.

You can rent altitude tents these days. Eric (thebeav7) rented one for a few months before Nolan's. He thought it helped quite a bit. I think they are $300-400/mo to rent.

Previous