Forum

How Would you do it???

Items that do not fit the categories above.

How Would you do it???

Postby paul109876 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:27 am

Being from Indiana acclimation has been a bit of an issue while hiking. There's nothing I can do about not enough Red Blood Cells. The other has been my weight. " 250ish".
I've always tried to prepare myself cardio wise and muscle wise for the long hikes. Stairmaster at a 15% incline, up and down the bleachers, Stair master ect.

I've been able to knock out 3 peaks in a week but by Colorado standards I know that ain't nothing. So as part of my 50th Birthday I've sworn myself ( now publicly) to knock out as many peaks in a 10 day period as possible. I have a certain minimum number in mind.
I'm cutting the weight and by next June will be in the 210-215 range.
I've changed my cardio sessions to a series of cycles/personal bests:
# of verticle ft in an hour
# of verticle feet in 15 minutes
a timed mile
a timed 5K
number of stairs on the stair machine in 30 minutes ect.ect.
This keeps it fresh, interesting and breaking 1 PR compliments the others.

Now for the question: If you had 10 days to knock out as many 14ers as you could which ones and in which order would you do it?? Of course I have to keep logistics in mind as well to cut down on travel time between peaks.
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Don't kick a fresh dog turd on a hot day

Re: How Would you do it???

Postby madbuck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 am

Great job, Paul, keep it up! Sounds like a good way to celebrate turning 50!

One bit I wanted to add here: the personal bests are *great* because they're measurable and obviously inspiring for you to get after it. It especially sounds like you're strong and powerful. What I'd add is that the the mile, 5k, vertical/hr, etc. have a larger degree of anaerobic and lactate threshold attribute to them: that's awesome for getting your legs strong and your muscles adapted to making powerful, vigorous climbs uphill, being able to handle the load and recover quickly. But for more "cardio" benefits, can you fit one longer workout in, perhaps on a weekend? More in the 2-2.5-3 hour range? Maybe you're already doing it, e.g. hiking or biking, and not considering it as much of a workout because it doesn't "burn" as much as the shorter, vigorous efforts...but those long efforts will complement the rest of your workouts nicely, giving you additional cardiovascular benefits, and may reduce the symptoms of issues you've seen before.

The peaks question is tricky, because I can't separate boredom and aesthetics from "ease" of peaks..typically, entrenching yourself between the Northern Sawatch and western Front Range/Mosquito peaks gets you the most, but the one other thing I'll suggest: if you can stay very flexible on location (e.g. via camping or if you're OK getting hotels last-minute during the week, when they shouldn't fill up), I'd play it more like a "local" and see if the weather (and snow level) dictates anything...if it's particularly windy or stormy in one range but not another, I'd consider being flexible. Good luck and happy early birthday!

Postby Rambler » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Weather will be the biggest factor of what order and all but based on what you've done i'd go with Greys/Torreys on the way in or out, head over to Breck and down to get your remaining Mosquito Range ones (decalabration), south, then cut over to Buena Vista and knock out as much of the Belford, Oxford, Missouri, Huron peaks as you can. Kinda depends on if you're camping or just going from town to town in hotels though. Just my 2 cents

Postby Derby Ale » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Do it like these guys, no car needed: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38324

Postby fahixson » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:55 pm

paul109876 wrote:If you had 10 days to knock out as many 14ers as you could which ones and in which order would you do it?? Of course I have to keep logistics in mind as well to cut down on travel time between peaks.

There's a similar question and good advice at ... viewtopic.php?t=41905&p=509061#p509061 ... although you've already hiked some mountains in that list. I'm assuming you're looking for mountains you haven't already hiked/climbed and mostly Class 1-2.

I agree with madbuck in that Front/Mosquito/Sawatch offer the most in terms of shear numbers. I've never tried something like your suggesting (10 day plan), but I'm guessing I would need a change in scenery as Front/Mosquito/Sawatch mountains start to feel the same to me after a while.

In addition to weather, your vehicle may dictate which mountains/order you should attempt. Sawatch range isn't difficult, but if you have to hike from the 2WD TH every time, those are some long slogs. If I had 10 days, I might try something like ...

Lake City Lodging/camping
Day 1 - Handies
Day 2 - Redcloud/Sunshine
Day 3 - Uncompahgre
Day 4 - Wetterhorn
Day 5 - Rest/Drive
Salida/BV Lodging/camping
Day 6 - Shav/Tab
Day 7 - Antero or Harvard or Huron
Day 8 - Belford/Oxford
Alma/Breck/Dillon? Lodging/camping
Day 9 - DeCaLiBron
Day 10 - Grays/Torreys

That would be 16 in 10 days. I would probably need another rest day in there somewhere, and I'm not sure I could handle those Sawatch doubles (Shav/Tab & Bel/Ox), but aim high. Good luck!

Postby Tornadoman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:22 pm

I really like the above suggestions. The San Juans are spectacular and I am sure you would enjoy that range and it would keep the scenery a little more varied. Wetterhorn is the only class 3 mentioned, and is really pretty easy if you aren't too afraid of heights. (Was my first class 3 and I loved it). Certainly throwing in a bunch of Sawatch and the Decalibron would be a great way to knock out a high number of peaks.

Postby tlongpine » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:46 pm

paul109876 wrote:Being from Indiana acclimation has been a bit of an issue while hiking. There's nothing I can do about not enough Red Blood Cells. The other has been my weight. " 250ish".

I'll be the contrarian - although please take it as encouragement. There is something you can do about not enough red blood cells: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/nutrients-needed-red-blood-cell-production-5131.html

Combining proper nutrition with the conditioning exercises you've included below will help you create healthy red blood cells and increase your VO2 max and help you offset altitude disadvantages.

Despite Colorado's reputation as the fittest state in the nation there are plenty of people who live at altitude who cannot keep up with well-conditioned flatlanders (too much time spent in LoDo, probably.) So, don't handicap yourself: train hard and eat right and you'll be in a great position to both achieve your goal, and enjoy it too.

Most importantly, it sounds like you've got a plan to get there!

Then, to your question. Do you have a preference in classification? Include Class 4 routes?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby TallGrass » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:49 pm

If simply a time and numbers thing, DeCaBrLi... and the Nolans 14 route, though the latter would benefit from some re-supply points. While Handies, Redcloud and such are easier, you'll eat up time getting to the trailhead much less Lake City. The Nellie Creek 4x4 Road (Uncompahgre) is easy on foot, but can challenge many vehicles (driving also prevents gaining 3k if that's important).

While losing weight, that is, having a healthier weight is great, as Scott Adams (Dilbert) says in "To put it bluntly, goals are for losers." As others have pointed out in other threads, you got to X weight due to lifestyle, so to get to Y you'll have to make a lifestyle change. E.g. not just doing the stairmaster, but always taking the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator; not just leg lifts, always doing a deep leg squat to pick stuff up versus bending over.

In that sense, I kind of like the idea of a Nolans 14 route as it would be more Skurka and less Subaru. You'll never need a car to get to the next 14er meaning you can hike as many miles as you want until you decide to camp, and by packing camp and food with, you'll also be burning more calories. And given you're a Hoosier, you'll be spending more time in the wild at altitude (think acclimatizing) and less on the road (you've seen enough asphalt, right?). If you go for it, though, make sure to leave an itinerary as well as have some check-in points were you can power up your phone just to send out a text (better than a call). Might even find a local willing to help you shuttle your car to a mid-way point or such too (wise to leave an itinerary copy with the sheriff in case someone reports a car being there for a few days).
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby tlongpine » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Assuming a blank slate, it would look something like this:

Day 1: Humboldt (1) from the east shoulder, then descend to Upper South Colony Lakes
Day 2: Kit Carson (2) & Challenger (3) via Bear's Playground from Upper SLC
Day 3: Descend to Lower SLC, Crestone Needle (4) and Crestone Peak (5)
Day 4: Rest/travel
Day 5: Shavano/Tab (6,7)
Day 6: BelOxMo (8,9,10)
Day 7: Rest/travel
Day 8: DeCaLiBron (11,12,13,14)
Day 9: Grays/Torreys (15,16)
Day 10: Bierstadt/Evans (17,18)

Of course, the DeCaLiBron is an ugly pile of mining waste, so I'd probably spend that day on a mountain bike. :)
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby goingup » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:52 pm

paul109876 wrote:Being from Indiana acclimation has been a bit of an issue while hiking. There's nothing I can do about not enough Red Blood Cells. The other has been my weight. " 250ish".
I've always tried to prepare myself cardio wise and muscle wise for the long hikes. Stairmaster at a 15% incline, up and down the bleachers, Stair master ect.

I've been able to knock out 3 peaks in a week but by Colorado standards I know that ain't nothing. So as part of my 50th Birthday I've sworn myself ( now publicly) to knock out as many peaks in a 10 day period as possible. I have a certain minimum number in mind.
I'm cutting the weight and by next June will be in the 210-215 range.
I've changed my cardio sessions to a series of cycles/personal bests:
# of verticle ft in an hour
# of verticle feet in 15 minutes
a timed mile
a timed 5K
number of stairs on the stair machine in 30 minutes ect.ect.
This keeps it fresh, interesting and breaking 1 PR compliments the others.

Now for the question: If you had 10 days to knock out as many 14ers as you could which ones and in which order would you do it?? Of course I have to keep logistics in mind as well to cut down on travel time between peaks.

I can't give you advice on the planning 10 days because I suck at logistics and always underestimate travel time but I can say that coming from Indiana and doing 3 Colorado 14ers in a week at an age close to 50 is something and you should pat yourself on the back for. Good luck with the 10 days! Remember it's not about how many peaks you check off the list it's about the fun and adventure of it all!!! :-D
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where no one intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more......

Postby Oman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:04 pm

If you want the most mountain with the least driving, then Evans > Bierstadt > Grays > Torreys > Quandary > Democrat > Cameron > Lincoln > Bross > Sherman > Pikes.

Postby djkest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:58 am

I am by no means a fitness expert but I do have some ideas for training for 14ers. Here's some exercises I would consider doing to get you in shape for 14er season.

1 hour on the treadmill doing intervals (or running outside, if you can). I like to warm up with a 10-20 minute jog, and then my intervals are 3 mins fast jog, 2 min fast walk, repeat.

Longer hikes with a backpack. Something with hills would be great. Think about Hiking 2-4 hours in a place with rolling hills. Take minimal breaks. Keep a solid pace up. Although you won't get the altitude, you'll get hours of constant motion.

You mentioned the stairmaster- it's great. I recommend a nice 15+ minute walk after the stairmaster to give your legs a chance to cool down and stretch out a little bit. I would usually jump from one machine to the other when I did the stairmaster.

Also you mentioned you were dropping weight. I've done the same (although not enough), and I also aquired some lightweight gear along the way. For most dayhikes I'm keeping my weight in the pack down as much as I can. I usually start off in the mornings around 5:30 in the morning, and sometimes earlier if it's a 2-peak kind of day.

I think for this type of goal there are things to consider. 1- rest days 2-travel time 3-accessibility. Some peaks like Huron or Uncompahgre you'd want a decent 4-wheel drive vehicle for. Bel-Ox-Mo same thing.
Last edited by djkest on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Next