Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fibromyalgia

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Fibromyalgia

Postby mlmartin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Is there anyone out there who can still hike and has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia? I am 33 years old and have recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I used to hike and climb every weekend and most days of the week. I have been out of the game for about 7 months now and miss getting outside terribly. I have been told by doctors that I may never be able to hike like I used to again. I used to hike 20+ days with my husband and also rock climb. I am extremely motivated and willing to do just about anything to get back. I currently do swim therapy, physical therapy, massage, and acupuncture. Any suggestions/advice from anyone who has been diagnosed with Fibro or a similar condition?

Re: Fibromyalgia

Postby MtnHub » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Can't speak directly to Fibromyalgia as I don't have that, but for several years I've been battling other physical problems that make me wonder how many more years I have left in me. But I think the motivation factor is actually more important than anything. You may be required to adjust or change your previous goals, but I definitely wouldn't let a doctor tell you you won't climb again. You occasionally hear about some 80+yo person who has made it to a summit. That always gives me more hope! If you have the will and desire, you'll find a way to do it one way or another! Wishing you all the best! Climb on! :-D

Postby 14mountain » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:54 pm

I totally agree with MtnHub. Attitude and motivation are your friends. I have had Multiple Scleroris for 11 years. Visual impairment is my worst symptom. I live a pretty normal life with other small annoying symptoms. You can conquer anything with the right attitude and some adjustments. Keep climbing !

Postby tdliles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:07 am

Attitude and keeping active are the keys. My wife has had fibromyalgia for years. She works out 3-4 times a week at our health club and we hike most weekends. She's bagged 30 fourteeners with me in the last 6 years, including a Windom backpack this past summer (she really wanted to see those mountain goats in Chicago Basin!). So I think you just need to keep active and go for it!
Tom and Stef

Postby Dex » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:49 am

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fibromyalgia/DS00079

" Exercise, relaxation and stress-reduction measures also may help. "

Interesting it says 'exercise' might help.

"But the pain and lack of sleep associated with fibromyalgia can interfere with your ability to function at home or on the job."

The mention of 'sleep' issues comes up several times in the article. I know that when I'm in BV at 8,000ft I tend to sleep lighter - less restful.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby DaveLanders » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:18 pm

I used to hike and snowshoe with a woman who had fibromyalgia. She did fine, so I know it's possible.
Good luck!

Postby mlmartin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks everyone! I am now even more motivated to prove those doctors wrong. I feel like exercise does help so hopefully I will continue to get stronger everyday. I also notice that you can get yourself into a horrible downward spiral if you don't exercise and keep a positive mind. I will continue to stay positive and hope to be back to the mountains soon! :-D

Postby mlmartin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:51 pm

Tdliles-
If your comfortable saying, did it take your wife awhile to get back to strenuous exercise after her diagnoses? Does she do any specific workouts at the gym that seem to help with the fibromyalgia?

Postby Klinger1986 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:55 pm

My mother was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. She has tried everything to relieve the pain, but nothing has completely controlled the symptoms. I have asked her many times what works the best, and she has always said determination and exercise. She was not a very active woman before she was diagnosed, and was not very active the first couple of years. It was during those first few years that I saw her deteriorate the most. She was constantly in pain, had many sleepless nights, and her mind always seemed to be in a constant state of disorder. The turning point, for her, was when she started to become more active. Now that she is more active her symptoms have subsided. She is still in pain, she still has sleepless nights, but her mind is much sharper and her symptoms are manageable. I'm not a doctor, but I think the best thing you can do is to start training again. It will be more difficult than before, but I'm certain you will see improvements in your physical abilities and your symptoms.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss

Postby meg383 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:38 am

Have hope! I was diagnosed 5 years ago during my senior year in college. I went through a couple years of what you are going through now before I got it figured out and got a system of management down. I hike and climb all the time now, albeit slower than most people due to the fibro and some other health conditions that limit my stamina - but I'm still out there and pushing my limits. That's something I would never have dreamed of back then, so don't worry you'll be able to get this under control! I found that the biggest contributor to my flare-ups was diet related, so if I stick to the regimen and don't cheat I do ok. I was also put on a drug from my back doctor that helps my fibro out a lot, too, ironically (NOT any of the FMS drugs like lyrica). It's hard sometimes sticking to the diet, but it's worth not feeling like crap all the time, and I'm healthier for it anyway. If you want more details feel free to pm me, I have done a ton of research and have a lot of resources if you really want it to change :)

Postby MtnHub » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:54 pm

It may be tough for you and maybe it will be awhile yet, but I can't wait to read your next trip report! Please do report back to us! :-D

Postby tdliles » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:47 pm

Hi. This is Stef Liles. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia many years ago and have never really stopped exercising. I am doing better than I was the first few years when it was definitely an effort to go workout but I always felt better when I did. I'm able to workout more than ever in the last couple of years. I think the medication and extra sleep has made things better the last few years. I used Lyrica for several years and that was very helpful but am on a new health insurance plan which wouldn't pay for it and it's very expensive. I've taking Cymbalta which insurance will pay for and that has been helping. As far as exercise goes, I do a little bit of a number of things: biking, hiking, aerobic classes, weight lifting, and lots of different exercise classes including pilates and cardio boxing. The only thing I really can't do much is run which I miss. When I was hurting the most I would workout but start easy and slow and work up to more as I started to feel better.
Tom and Stef

Next