Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looks like RMNP next week is out... other suggestions?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Looks like RMNP next week is out... other suggestions?

Postby sunny1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 pm

Do you already have Hahn's Peak on your list?
http://www.summitpost.org/hahns-peak/153540

Sand Mtn
http://www.summitpost.org/sand-mountain/154624

I'm noticing Scott P is the editor of both of these pages - he may be a good resource for you.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:17 pm

What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby Tortoise1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:
more hiking info for steamboat would be helpful, I'd actually RATHER go there due to travel (I-70). but I gotta have a couple of 8-mile hikes and a couple of 4-5 mile hikes... the more summits the better... (I'm hunting for lodging right now)

I think you'll be happier in Summit. No shortage of hiking here, plenty of high summits, lots of lodging, etc.. The ranger station in Silverthorne, right across from Target, has an abundance of information and advice.

Postby bohlsen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:
larkinrx2 wrote:steamboat springs then

if weather holds there is a nice waterfall hike.....forgot name but sure someone can chime in

more hiking info for steamboat would be helpful, I'd actually RATHER go there due to travel (I-70). but I gotta have a couple of 8-mile hikes and a couple of 4-5 mile hikes... the more summits the better... (I'm hunting for lodging right now)

The waterfall that larkinrx2 mentions is Fish Creek Falls. I'd second that hike recommendation, gorgeous hike and kid friendly. If I recall correctly its about a quarter mile to the lower falls and 1.5-2 miles to the upper falls. When I did it it was quite hot out and we swam in the pool below the upper falls and a couple other pools about a quarter mile up from that which felt amazing. It might be too cold for that now though and it might not be the best idea with little kids but you can use your judgement.
The obvious summit hikes in the area are Hahn's Peak and Mt Zirkel, Hahn's is fairly short and easy while Mt Zirkel is rather long (17 miles RT) and both should have some nice solitude. If you're looking to bag peaks I'd recommend heading down to Summit County but if you're fine with just exploring a really pretty area of Colorado, I'd personally say that Steamboat is tough to beat.
Strawberry Hot Springs is really nice, the town has a really nice feel with some good dining options (PM me if you'd like restaurant recommendations for either Steamboat or Summit Co). If you don't mind exploring a bit further afield from Steamboat you could check out the Flattops or the Steamboat Lake area (you might try looking there for cabins or camping).
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Keep in mind that much of our water is now heading for Nebraska and the I-80 corridor. Be prepared for flooding.

I've always liked Mohawk Lakes...good kid destination. Fletcher Mountain might have the best summit-quality-to-distance ratio in the area.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Jesse M » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Lordhlmut wrote: "It's kind of shocking more people other than mongoose who don't find this kind of f**ked up."

Must be nice being better than everyone else. :roll:

Postby tlongpine » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Summit Co.

Do Quandary or the DeCaLiBron, and the Colorado Trail, hike off of Loveland. There is no shortage of short and long hikes in the area.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby cougar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:33 pm

if you go to Steamboat, should be really nice around that time, fall color, and a nice base town. Hwy 14 may still be closed but I-80 to Laramie then south would be faster and is open. A couple hours west of Steamboat (maybe less) is Dinosaur National Monument which contains Yampa Canyon. Nice area to spend a day or so, colorful canyon, and a lot of dinosaur fossils (good family destination) and Flaming Gorge is just to the north. But no real mountain/tourist towns in that area (Vernal is a place to find lodging) - it's high desert instead of mountains. You can also access the west side of RMNP (Never Summers) but it's at least an hour drive from Steamboat and no good base town close by besides Grand Lake. Medicine Bow Mtns and Saratoga, WY would be closer than Steamboat (free city hot spring pool in Saratoga).

And don't feel too bad about the disruption to your original trip - I've found a few gems with a late change of travel plans due to weather/disaster.
There are plenty of great hikes and scenery in the various national forests.

Postby cougar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:37 pm

also, with all the wet weather, it should be a great time for mushrooming

Postby summitstep » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:25 am

lordhelmut wrote:
tlongpine wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:Wasn't trying to be righteous or "holier than thou", just thought the overall presentation and defensive demeanor of Dark Helmet was rude and insensitive. Anyways - I'm not trying to turn this in to another overblown online pissing match and take away from Helmet's vacation planning, or the floods.

I see. Thin skin. This explains the helmet.

I guess I just can't win today tlongpine. Wasn't aware you can judge the thickness or thinness of one's skin on the NET.

UH OH!!!!!! Visor is down! things are getting sketchy! :faint:

Don't know what your family limitations are, but there are beautiful hikes in the Sawatch down by Buena Vista and Leadville, and hiking by the Bells not far away is breath-taking. Hope you get some good times in. I can appreciate your anticipation and longing. Good luck, good hiking and be safe.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."

Postby Dark Helmet » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:03 pm

the lodging company in Estes thinks we'll be able to get in... ummmmmmm. suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

we are actually looking really hard at Jackson Hole and the Tetons right now... go figure...

Postby jsdratm » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:17 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:the lodging company in Estes thinks we'll be able to get in... ummmmmmm. suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

we are actually looking really hard at Jackson Hole and the Tetons right now... go figure...

Wow, I would not trust their assessment lol. I think going to the Tetons would make for a cool trip. If you are an AAC member you can stay at the Teton Climbers Ranch pretty cheaply.

PreviousNext