Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looks like RMNP next week is out... other suggestions?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Looks like RMNP next week is out... other suggestions?

Postby d_baker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:47 pm

tlongpine wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:Wasn't trying to be righteous or "holier than thou", just thought the overall presentation and defensive demeanor of Dark Helmet was rude and insensitive. Anyways - I'm not trying to turn this in to another overblown online pissing match and take away from Helmet's vacation planning, or the floods.

I see. Thin skin. This explains the helmet.

It's not a helmet. It's a helmut. jeez Mr. Long Pine, get it straight!

I can kind of understand mongoose's reaction though. The corn husker helmet seemed insistent that Estes HAD to be the destination. With all the turmoil going on and the cleanup that is going to be needed, why bother at this point to continue with that plan, unless you're going to totally revamp the agenda and volunteer to help start the cleanup?
There's plenty of places in CO (like the ones being suggested) to get a family vacation that is away from the mess that is in the northern front range right now.

Postby jdorje » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Yellowstone is a great option, if the weather cooperates. A big if...

And yeah life goes on, but showing a little sympathy for those affected would go a long way...

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:51 pm

tlongpine wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:Wasn't trying to be righteous or "holier than thou", just thought the overall presentation and defensive demeanor of Dark Helmet was rude and insensitive. Anyways - I'm not trying to turn this in to another overblown online pissing match and take away from Helmet's vacation planning, or the floods.

I guess I just can't win today tlongpine. Wasn't aware you can judge the thickness or thinness of one's skin on the NET.

Postby tlongpine » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:57 pm

lordhelmut wrote:
tlongpine wrote:

I guess I just can't win today tlongpine. Wasn't aware you can judge the thickness or thinness of one's skin on the NET.

Get bent out of shape about a joke on the internet - that'll prove you don't have thin skin. Laugh it off, and you'll prove me wrong.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:06 pm

i understand the hard to get away on short notice with the kids

might look at the YMCA just north of Granby. Call first to check on conditions but if it continues to rain they have an indoor pool, craft cabin, library cabin, decent restaurant.
if weather gets better they have horseback riding and are close to the backside of RMNP for some muddy hikes

another thought would be to head to woodland park area west of the Springs.
there would be hiking on/near pikes, some museums (dinasour themed) and manitou springs is a smaller hippy version of estes with neat shops and stuff. Also have the pikes railroad and the incline for outdoor stuff without haveing to go into the springs
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:10 pm

OK... so Steamboat or Summit CO...

Steamboat is more accessible. (skip denver)

I know my way around Summit Co in the winter... but the hiking I'm lost on.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... having a hard time finding cabins in Steamboat... might have to brave I-70

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:11 pm

larkinrx2 wrote: manitou springs

if I go near that place again I'll curl up in the fetal position and start mumbling about the 8.5hr slog up that infernal mountain... and then my wife would just shoot me.

Postby djkest » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:OK... so Steamboat or Summit CO...

Steamboat is more accessible. (skip denver)

I know my way around Summit Co in the winter... but the hiking I'm lost on.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... having a hard time finding cabins in Steamboat... might have to brave I-70

Skip I-70 and still make it to Breckenridge. Boom. 9 hours 57 minutes.

http://goo.gl/maps/Fn6RU
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:16 pm

steamboat springs then

if weather holds there is a nice waterfall hike.....forgot name but sure someone can chime in
have the strawberry springs
have indoor pool
might see if the slide is still going, probably a water slide now
can hike on the ski slopes
can hike on rabbit ear pass
have the mountain town feel
dont forget to read all of the signs for the F M lights and sons store on the way :lol:

Users browsing this forum: 14erFred, Abbey, BobbyZ, BTL, ClimbStewart, Dark Helmet, David Massarano, Derek, dnye, EatinHardtack, ewaag23, Faldron, GBH64, hm_az, im_t_wal, its_not_a_tuba, Jmbiller, Joel Moore, joshbrink, JROSKA, jrs1965, Jtjohnso24, Kevo, Knighthawk, KTC88, larkinrx2, match, mountainrev, Mountainspirit, mrmethane, Mtnman200, mts4602, oldschoolczar, painless4u2, rickinco123, SandyO, smitty, spadflyer12, tbonesaredelicious, The Old Fart, Tory Wells, Vids, viejo and 183 guests

must be slow day in the office :lol:
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:36 pm

lets talk summit co hikes:

here's my original post from the "other co peaks" sub-forum...

The players:
Me - 34, very good shape (run 30ish miles a week), recent hikes include Barr Trail (should be Barf Trail... that sucked), Twin Sisters, Timberline Falls, Chasm Lake. Mostly immune to altitude issues outside requisite early fatigue.
Mrs Helmet - 34 good shape (runs 10 miles a week), some arthritis issues, stubborn as a mule, not overly adventurous, but amenable to some excitement. Only "peak" to her credit is Lily Mountain, deals with altitude "ok"
Linus - 8, kinda short, kinda skinny, good athlete. good hiker, likes some adventure. Lily Mountain ('12), Chasm Lake ('12), Timberline Falls ('11). Carries ALL his own gear.
Sally - 6, runner, not sure what to make of her as a hiker yet, Liily Mountain ('12), Lily Lake ('12), Dream Lake ('11). Carries most of her own gear
Viloet - 4, built like a tank. she's the unknown... strong, stubborn, and quite certain that anything Sally can do, Violet can do too! I carried her last year up Lily Mountain (OOOF!) her total hiking experience is walking around Lily Lake last year...
Molly - 1, 17lbs? I (obviously) have to carry her... (Kelty Journey 2.0)

I'd like to knock off a couple of 13ers and maybe a 14er.

Linus could do Quandary for sure... Sally might be able to as well.

(was hoping to save that mtn for the winter welcomer along with wifey.
Last edited by Dark Helmet on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby wrchad23 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:38 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:
MonGoose wrote:-Three people have died this week and a dozen are missing.
-President Obama has approved federal aid for the city of Boulder.
-The town of Estes Park is under water and major highways in the region have been knocked out.
-Two hikers are stranded on Longs Peak.
The front range is a disaster.

And you want to talk about your vacation.

yes, I do.

if you don't want to join in the conversation, kindly GTFO.

phuckin 'elitist' on this forum crack me up....

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:40 pm

larkinrx2 wrote:steamboat springs then

if weather holds there is a nice waterfall hike.....forgot name but sure someone can chime in
have the strawberry springs
have indoor pool
might see if the slide is still going, probably a water slide now
can hike on the ski slopes
can hike on rabbit ear pass
have the mountain town feel
dont forget to read all of the signs for the F M lights and sons store on the way :lol:

more hiking info for steamboat would be helpful, I'd actually RATHER go there due to travel (I-70). but I gotta have a couple of 8-mile hikes and a couple of 4-5 mile hikes... the more summits the better... (I'm hunting for lodging right now)

PreviousNext