Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looks like RMNP next week is out... other suggestions?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Looks like RMNP next week is out... other suggestions?

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:13 pm

Mountainspirit wrote:Not trying to come off as "holier than thou", but many folks here are literally dealing with some very real and serious sh1t. Understanding goes a long way.

Beyond that, perhaps consider Summit County. Plenty of natural beauty and tons of family friendly activities. Wherever you land - have a blast!

I've sat in my chair watching tornadoes destroy the homes and lives of friends and family. I've been in and dealt with all of that stuff.

but you're right, the world goes on.

if I knew ANYTHING about hiking in Summit County I might do that... but I don't... sadly.

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:15 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Wasn't trying to be righteous or "holier than thou", just thought the overall presentation and defensive demeanor of Dark Helmet was rude and insensitive. Anyways - I'm not trying to turn this in to another overblown online pissing match and take away from Helmet's vacation planning, or the floods.

we're good man.

I'm probably defensive because I'm frickin' hungry...

Postby Yalegirl09 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Summit county is still in great shape! It'd be good to stay away from Estes and allow everyone to clean up and pick up their lives again. We have a ton of family friendly activities up here for you to enjoy. Plus I70 while restricted still IS open. Have fun wherever you go! I'd be happy to pass along some great summit hikes!

Postby tlongpine » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:21 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Wasn't trying to be righteous or "holier than thou", just thought the overall presentation and defensive demeanor of Dark Helmet was rude and insensitive. Anyways - I'm not trying to turn this in to another overblown online pissing match and take away from Helmet's vacation planning, or the floods.

I see. Thin skin. This explains the helmet.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby mrmethane » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Westcliffe sounds like a viable alternative. We actually caught fish in the Lower Sand Lake. I'm not sure about hotels in town, but it's not a bad little place. The Music Pass upper trailhead is about 40 minutes from town, and 4wd is preferable, but I've seen people drive Subaru's up there.
Campsites are not the cleanest I've seen, there was used TP on the ground left by people too lazy or too ignorant to dig a hole, but we also saw that on the Tonahutu loop at RMNP over this past Labor Day weekend. Oh, and it is hunting season up there, so orange would be advisable.
Sounds like a lot of work for you to get just a few days off. Hope you can manage something, and have fun.
To all the critics, what are we supposed to do? Stay home and watch the Weather Channel wringing our hands and feeling sorry for the Front Range? Life does go on, the there was nothing wrong with the guy asking the question.
We take nearly all of our vacations in CO, and NM for backpacking in the mountains. I come out there on solo trips when I can manage to get away. We love it out there as much as anyone, and truly feel for those caught up in this disaster. Being from NJ, you don't have to remind me how devastating something like this could be. So, excuse us for not showing what you might think is the proper response.

Postby bohlsen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:
jdorje wrote:It's safe to assume the RMNP area will not be ready for tourism within a week. Many areas of Colorado will, but, if you want some place that isn't snowed in it's too soon to speculate where that will be. If you're driving in and don't care too much about making hotel reservations in advance, you can keep your options open for now.

If you're looking at this from an economic tragedy point of view, the town of South Fork (evacuated for weeks this spring due to fire) would be a good candidate.

Estes is a "destination" town... and I know what I'm doing there. With little kids, that's a HUGE deal.

wife told them at lunch that we weren't going to be able to go to Estes Park and they all cried... they all have their favorite things they were looking forward too and I'd like to replicate the experience as best as possible.

For "destination" towns with good hiking nearby and rustic accommodations and not too long a drive I'd recommend Grand Lake (excellent hiking in the Never Summers and a similar but smaller feel to Estes), Steamboat, or Summit County. All have nice touristy downtowns, fun attractions for the kids (mini golf, alpine slides, lakes or rivers) and plenty of hiking nearby for you. Outside of Colorado, maybe Yellowstone and the Tetons with Jackson as your destination town? Not sure if you've been there before or if its in your 10 hr range but its a pretty magical place and going there as a little kid definitely cemented my love of the outdoors.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:33 pm

bohlsen wrote:
Dark Helmet wrote:
jdorje wrote:It's safe to assume the RMNP area will not be ready for tourism within a week. Many areas of Colorado will, but, if you want some place that isn't snowed in it's too soon to speculate where that will be. If you're driving in and don't care too much about making hotel reservations in advance, you can keep your options open for now.

If you're looking at this from an economic tragedy point of view, the town of South Fork (evacuated for weeks this spring due to fire) would be a good candidate.

Estes is a "destination" town... and I know what I'm doing there. With little kids, that's a HUGE deal.

wife told them at lunch that we weren't going to be able to go to Estes Park and they all cried... they all have their favorite things they were looking forward too and I'd like to replicate the experience as best as possible.

For "destination" towns with good hiking nearby and rustic accommodations and not too long a drive I'd recommend Grand Lake (excellent hiking in the Never Summers and a similar but smaller feel to Estes), Steamboat, or Summit County. All have nice touristy downtowns, fun attractions for the kids (mini golf, alpine slides, lakes or rivers) and plenty of hiking nearby for you. Outside of Colorado, maybe Yellowstone and the Tetons with Jackson as your destination town? Not sure if you've been there before or if its in your 10 hr range but its a pretty magical place and going there as a little kid definitely cemented my love of the outdoors.

Yellowstone was my first thought... it's a 13-14hr drive.

I gotta look at steamboat... I've never been there. my fear with Grand Lake is overloading it since its the only line into/out of EP right now.

Postby djkest » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Summit county is nice. Really great food options available.

Here's hiking trails in summit county, with difficulty ratings etc:
http://www.summitcountyexplorer.com/summithikingtrails.htm

Here's some pics I've taken of Shrine Mountain hike, which is easy and can be done for Sunrises or Sunsets due to short distance.
Gallery 1 late morning:
https://picasaweb.google.com/116598699074192561032/ShrineMountain?authuser=0&feat=directlink
Gallery 2 evening/sunset:
https://picasaweb.google.com/116598699074192561032/ShrineMountainTake2?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIPckrK6iN_PkQE&feat=directlink

Little kids hiking on the "difficult" portion:
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Mountainspirit » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:36 pm

A few summit county hikes:
Quandary Peak (14,265 ft) - 6 1/2 miles RT w/roughly 3,500 feet of gain

Mowhawk Lake(s) - 3-7 miles RT (depending where you park) w/waterfalls,old mining buildings, alpine lakes

Rainbow Lake - easy 3 mile RT hike

Peak One (12,805 ft) - roughly 6 miles w/3600 ft of gain

Mt. Royal (10,500ish) - 3 miles w/1500 ft of gain

Cataract Lake - easy 2 miler around the lake

These are just a sampling. It might be easier for us to offer you suggestions if you inform us of your family's abilities.

Postby bohlsen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:38 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:
Mountainspirit wrote:if I knew ANYTHING about hiking in Summit County I might do that... but I don't... sadly.

Hard to screw up hiking in Summit County. There's the Tenmile/Mosquito 14ers (Quandary, Decalibron, Sherman) and 13ers (Pacific/Atlantic/Crystal, Drift, Gemini/Dyer/Horseshoe, Pks 1-10 to name a few) and lots of lakes below treeline if that's your thing. If you don't mind short day-trips using Summit County as your basecamp the Gores are nearby and offer a bit more solitude, Grays and Torreys, and the Holy Cross/Vail area isn't too far either. If you want something more specific just let me know what type of hike you're thinking.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Postby Fisching » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:43 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Just to clarify, this is dark helmet of Nebraska, NOT lordhelmut from denver.

It's kind of shocking more people other than mongoose who don't find this kind of f**ked up.

It's not a matter that people don't want you to come to Colorado, but more tact should be exercised given the difficult circumstances many people, including many members from this website, are dealing with at the current moment.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby danimarie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:44 pm

as a summit county resident with kids, i agree-you cant go wrong w summit. various hiking options from easier kid friendly to 13ers. backpacking into the Gore range tmrw myself.

many hotel and restaurant options as well.

PreviousNext