Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looks like RMNP next week is out... other suggestions?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Looks like RMNP next week is out... other suggestions?

Postby tlongpine » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:00 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:
MonGoose wrote:-Three people have died this week and a dozen are missing.
-President Obama has approved federal aid for the city of Boulder.
-The town of Estes Park is under water and major highways in the region have been knocked out.
-Two hikers are stranded on Longs Peak.
The front range is a disaster.

And you want to talk about your vacation.

yes, I do.

if you don't want to join in the conversation, kindly GTFO.

=D>
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Gareth » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:01 pm

The events of this disaster most definitely suck. People have died, been hurt, have lost homes. Millions/billions of dollars worth of damage has been done. However, out of state people wanting to work around the disaster to actually come to Colorado to spend money seems to me to actually be a very positive thing. More than once this morning I've stopped to think about the people in the tourism industry in Estes Park and felt sorry for them. Having the roads destroyed which bring most of your customers cannot be a good thing!

Yeah, it's not all that big of a deal for a person to have to cancel weekend plans to a mountain area a few hours away from home. However, when you live in another state and have spent months planning and anticipating a trip, and made the arrangements to get away from work for it, you are somewhat committed to the trip. Yes you could just stay at home, but you really feel like you'd do anything reasonable to work something out that you could enjoy.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby djkest » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:
Kiefer wrote:Have you considered the Badlands or Devils Tower area? That might be within that 10hr. window you're looking for.
Sangres mightbe doable if you took E-470 around Denver then headed south. :-k

I've done that trip 4-5 times... the kids haven't, but it doesn't have 10% of the hiking or scenery that Estes does... it's probably the "last ditch" choice... it's too much driving, in all honesty. I'd rather spend more time on foot once we get there.

on the Wyoming suggestions... I like the idea, but I'm trying to plan a "well planned 4-night vacation in about 12 hours (soccer tournament all weekend, monday getting the office ready for me to be gone for 4 days).

where to stay in Wyoming? good hikes for kids? things to do in the evenings?

Quick internet search reveals this:
http://www.themountainviewhotel.com/
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:03 pm

sunny1 wrote:This a.m., I-70 westbound is closed due to a rockslide near Floyd Hill. We are experiencing a disaster all along the Front Range.
It's anticipated I 70 westbound will be open later this afternoon.

Yep, I stand corrected. It seems they're diverting westbound traffic somehow, but between that and the twin tunnels construction 70 is a complete clusterfuk. Anyone coming up here for the weekend, absolutely check the cams first.

To the OP, you may just want to wait Sunday or Monday to make a decision. You can use either 70 or 285 to reach the central Sawatch, for example. You will have no problem finding lodging in the rest of Colorado during the week in mid-September.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby jdorje » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:14 pm

It's safe to assume the RMNP area will not be ready for tourism within a week. Many areas of Colorado will, but, if you want some place that isn't snowed in it's too soon to speculate where that will be. If you're driving in and don't care too much about making hotel reservations in advance, you can keep your options open for now.

If you're looking at this from an economic tragedy point of view, the town of South Fork (evacuated for weeks this spring due to fire) would be a good candidate.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Just to clarify, this is dark helmet of Nebraska, NOT lordhelmut from denver.

It's kind of shocking more people other than mongoose who don't find this kind of f**ked up.

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:42 pm

jdorje wrote:It's safe to assume the RMNP area will not be ready for tourism within a week. Many areas of Colorado will, but, if you want some place that isn't snowed in it's too soon to speculate where that will be. If you're driving in and don't care too much about making hotel reservations in advance, you can keep your options open for now.

If you're looking at this from an economic tragedy point of view, the town of South Fork (evacuated for weeks this spring due to fire) would be a good candidate.

Estes is a "destination" town... and I know what I'm doing there. With little kids, that's a HUGE deal.

wife told them at lunch that we weren't going to be able to go to Estes Park and they all cried... they all have their favorite things they were looking forward too and I'd like to replicate the experience as best as possible.

and sorry lordhelmut... I can't really do anything to fix the front range. weeping and hand-wringing doesn't accomplish much. putting money in the pockets of the business owners does.

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:47 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:and sorry lordhelmut... I can't really do anything to fix the front range. weeping and hand-wringing doesn't accomplish much. putting money in the pockets of the business owners does.

Don't worry about it. You're doing the affected areas a favor by staying out. Lordhelmut is one of the more holier-than-thou people here.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby gurlyclimber » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:54 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Just to clarify, this is dark helmet of Nebraska, NOT lordhelmut from denver.

It's kind of shocking more people other than mongoose who don't find this kind of f**ked up.

Riggghhhttt. Cuz when the $hit hits the fan its best to complain about it on the NET because it makes you MORE righteous (than you probably really are).

Have a great vaca dark dude. Just because we're in the muck doesn't mean you have to be!
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby tlongpine » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:59 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Just to clarify, this is dark helmet of Nebraska, NOT lordhelmut from denver.

He's not complaining about the situation. He's simply asking for advice. Better that he should show up in Estes and add to the confusion and chaos?

Sympathies to those affected by the floods, but the rest of the world doesn't stop spinning because the Front Range is flooded.

Yeah, the situation sucks. A tip of the hat to DarkHelmet for trying to avoid it.

I am, however, enjoying the Space Balls / Star Wars spat.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Mountainspirit » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Not trying to come off as "holier than thou", but many folks here are literally dealing with some very real and serious sh1t. Understanding goes a long way.

Beyond that, perhaps consider Summit County. Plenty of natural beauty and tons of family friendly activities. Wherever you land - have a blast!

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Wasn't trying to be righteous or "holier than thou", just thought the overall presentation and defensive demeanor of Dark Helmet was rude and insensitive. Anyways - I'm not trying to turn this in to another overblown online pissing match and take away from Helmet's vacation planning, or the floods.

PreviousNext